Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Factory Shutdown for Upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of articles popping up about a potential Fremont factory shutdown at the end of July.

Curious how you all think this will affect orders already placed?

I’m in Arkansas. Just ordered 07/15/20.

White/White/19”/LRAWD.

Wouldn’t mind waiting a little longer if the factory upgrades improve build quality.

Thoughts? Speculations? Anybody been waiting forever?

With Tesla there really isnt a rhyme or reason. I ordered on 7/14 so not too far off from you. Here are the speculations in terms of quality:

1) The established production line produces better quality vehicles because they have a system down
2) The established production line produces lower quality vehicles, hence the reason for the overhaul
3) The new production line produces higher quality vehicles due to better work flow
4) The new production line produces initial lower quality vehicles as they get into the swing of things.

There is no way of knowing which of those options will take place or how our orders will be affected by it. Just gotta ride it out. This is the Tesla lifestyle.

With Tesla there really isnt a rhyme or reason. I ordered on 7/14 so not too far off from you. Here are the speculations in terms of quality:

1) The established production line produces better quality vehicles because they have a system down
2) The established production line produces lower quality vehicles, hence the reason for the overhaul
3) The new production line produces higher quality vehicles due to better work flow
4) The new production line produces initial lower quality vehicles as they get into the swing of things.

There is no way of knowing which of those options will take place or how our orders will be affected by it. Just gotta ride it out. This is the Tesla lifestyle.

Yea, some good thoughts. I purchased an M3 in 10/18 and received it 12/01/2018. I believe at this point they had one of those tents set up too.

My speculation is lower initial production (maybe for a week or two) and then increased production and quality.

That seems to be what happened last time.

My wildest speculation includes their top 5 best employees currently being home with a positive COVID test and their 5 worst employees have taken over production so the factory shutdown is an attempt to delay long enough to let the best employees get healthy and come back to work. ;) hahaha

For what it's worth, we were contacted and informed that if we were to take in any Model Y's for repair, we would be hard pressed to get parts for the vehicle until a month or so from now. We've been in touch with them regarding the build quality and have handled a few repaints already straight from the delivery center. Apparently they're shutting down a few lines to retool/upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: BlindPass
Lots of articles popping up about a potential Fremont factory shutdown at the end of July.

Curious how you all think this will affect orders already placed?

I’m in Arkansas. Just ordered 07/15/20.

White/White/19”/LRAWD.

Wouldn’t mind waiting a little longer if the factory upgrades improve build quality.

Thoughts? Speculations? Anybody been waiting forever?
Picked up the same spec last month
No worries, delivery was a good experience, very few issues with the car, sorted in a few hrs at the SC
The White interior combined with the glass roof, gives the impression of a spaceship inside

Reactions: KRG21
For what it's worth, we were contacted and informed that if we were to take in any Model Y's for repair, we would be hard pressed to get parts for the vehicle until a month or so from now. We've been in touch with them regarding the build quality and have handled a few repaints already straight from the delivery center. Apparently they're shutting down a few lines to retool/upgrade.

Very interesting. Thanks for the information. I’m curious how many vehicles will make it through before the shutdown.

Picked up the same spec last month
No worries, delivery was a good experience, very few issues with the car, sorted in a few hrs at the SC
The White interior combined with the glass roof, gives the impression of a spaceship inside

Thanks for the reply! That’s great news! What is the build month of your car?

I currently have an M3 with white interior and I never tinted the windows. People just stare when I drive by. Never gets old.

Reactions: db93
I wish they would figure out how to fix the paint quality.

Reactions: raggedy