Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this forum.

I was also assigned a Fremont VIN this morning.

MYP
White with black interior
Ordered: 02/09/2022
DD:3/27/2027
VIN:7SAYGDEF8NFFxxxxxx

I had thought Austin MYP will be delivered end of first quarter. Who knows when I can take delivery if i put this one on hold. Hard decision to make.

Really want the new battery
You are form the west coast so in the event that Austin is for Eastern US, you will not get an Austin vehicle. If you do some reading on here (specifically this thread) you will see that Austin has only certified the MY AWD (not SR or LR or P). There are many reasons for this and why they may not need to certify other models. The only thing stated about Austin was that they project to do some customer deliveries Q1. No one knows which model or where they will go. Also, based on the newly certified Austin AWD MY, the batteries do not seem to match the hype that has been built up around battery day.

In your situation, there is only one known fact. You have a Fremont VIN and Fremont is the only place shipping vehicles right now. If yhou want a car at all, you should take what you have. Since you have a VIN assigned, you need to read your order agreement and see if you can even place your order on hold at this time. If you reject this VIN, you may have to take the next one assigned to you whenever that is. If one had to place a percentage on your chances of getting a MYP with 4680 cells from Austin, I would put it at less than 5%. Your odds are higher of getting a 4680 from Fremont when they switch over (which they will at some point, just don't know when they will have the 4680 production capacity for this. Or if 4680s will ever match the hype. With the scarcity of nickel, Tesla might be shifting new battery production (read all 4680) to a different chemistry, possibly LFP which is for "SR" cars. If you want LR or P you might have to stick with 2170. Keep in mind, the best performing car Tesla makes, the Model S Plaid uses 18650 cells so don't read too much into the 4680 hype that it will lead to faster cars. It CAN lead to this if that was Tesla's goal but their goal is to save money and maximize profits so they will focus on saving money on production and worry about performance later.

Long story short, if you want a MYP (you did order one), then you should take this one.

Wonder if I can switch to a MX and if old price is locked in. Would be under 100k for me.
You don't get to switch to another model at the price it was when you placed your order. The pricing for your order is locked in. If you ordered a MY, then you change wheels and colors and keep the same base model price. Up to this point, if you changed anything, your base model price shifted to the current price (much more expensive). This will allow Tesla to push rejected cars of different colors to those who have been waiting th elongest if they are willing to change colors (most common).

Heh heh heh. What about FSD? $12,000!
Also, the Model X for that matter. Sat in one at the SC Sunday and it just wasn’t a lot more car than the Y. I know it’s faster obviously etc etc but .... $137,000?

I may switch my MYP order for a 4680 LFP Austin Model Y and add FSD if the longevity benefits are there. Lots of hinting at million mile batteries so maybe FSD gets somewhat figured out before that battery dies.

Model X is a lot more car than a Model Y. Performance levels of the plaid are insane compared to a model y performance, especially on highway pulling power. 60-130 on a plaid x is around 5 seconds vs 13 seconds on a Y performance. Purely on performance numbers alone its worth the cost. but then you have air suspension, falcon wing doors, cooled seats, captain chairs, ability to control rear seat heating actually from the rear, etc etc that add into the other costs associated with it.

The S/X plaid was meant for super/hyper car owners to look at what dinosaur they're driving and be like oh this is silly. The value proposition is there.

You are form the west coast so in the event that Austin is for Eastern US, you will not get an Austin vehicle. If you do some reading on here (specifically this thread) you will see that Austin has only certified the MY AWD (not SR or LR or P). There are many reasons for this and why they may not need to certify other models. The only thing stated about Austin was that they project to do some customer deliveries Q1. No one knows which model or where they will go. Also, based on the newly certified Austin AWD MY, the batteries do not seem to match the hype that has been built up around battery day.

In your situation, there is only one known fact. You have a Fremont VIN and Fremont is the only place shipping vehicles right now. If yhou want a car at all, you should take what you have. Since you have a VIN assigned, you need to read your order agreement and see if you can even place your order on hold at this time. If you reject this VIN, you may have to take the next one assigned to you whenever that is. If one had to place a percentage on your chances of getting a MYP with 4680 cells from Austin, I would put it at less than 5%. Your odds are higher of getting a 4680 from Fremont when they switch over (which they will at some point, just don't know when they will have the 4680 production capacity for this. Or if 4680s will ever match the hype. With the scarcity of nickel, Tesla might be shifting new battery production (read all 4680) to a different chemistry, possibly LFP which is for "SR" cars. If you want LR or P you might have to stick with 2170. Keep in mind, the best performing car Tesla makes, the Model S Plaid uses 18650 cells so don't read too much into the 4680 hype that it will lead to faster cars. It CAN lead to this if that was Tesla's goal but their goal is to save money and maximize profits so they will focus on saving money on production and worry about performance later.

Long story short, if you want a MYP (you did order one), then you should take this one.

You don't get to switch to another model at the price it was when you placed your order. The pricing for your order is locked in. If you ordered a MY, then you change wheels and colors and keep the same base model price. Up to this point, if you changed anything, your base model price shifted to the current price (much more expensive). This will allow Tesla to push rejected cars of different colors to those who have been waiting th elongest if they are willing to change colors (most common).
I was actually kidding, based on prior post. No way would I splurge on a MX

Reactions: robeeen
D519DD50-5E85-4C9C-AD7F-62065DEC7B19.jpeg

Charging via diesel generator. The answer to the recent price increases...

I may switch my MYP order for a 4680 LFP Austin Model Y and add FSD if the longevity benefits are there. Lots of hinting at million mile batteries so maybe FSD gets somewhat figured out before that battery dies.

Model X is a lot more car than a Model Y. Performance levels of the plaid are insane compared to a model y performance, especially on highway pulling power. 60-130 on a plaid x is around 5 seconds vs 13 seconds on a Y performance. Purely on performance numbers alone its worth the cost. but then you have air suspension, falcon wing doors, cooled seats, captain chairs, ability to control rear seat heating actually from the rear, etc etc that add into the other costs associated with it.

The S/X plaid was meant for super/hyper car owners to look at what dinosaur they're driving and be like oh this is silly. The value proposition is there.
Not if you’ve only got $75k.
Great value in its class fir sure…. If anything can even be compared …. as is though compared to Y if $ are a real factor fir buyer? No not really. It’s not twice the car.
But your point is reasonable.
As to a million mile battery.. I can assure you you don’t want a car with even 200,000 miles on it.
I’ve been in 400,000 mile cars twice.
There is no practical value to any Tesla end user on this forum to a 1 million mile battery. Buyers in this price range don’t keep cars long.
In short, even if the battery is magical and motors hang in 200-300k the rest will get worn slam out.
FSD self driving taxis aren’t even faintly close enough that should affect a current transaction.

Reactions: house9
It has been reported that Elon will be at the GigaBerlin factory this Wednesday for the official start of deliveries. I wouldn't be surprised if the same will be true for officially rolling out the first Austin deliveries on April. 7 at the Gigatexas Feast event, even if initial Austin deliveries might be possible a few days earlier..

Not if you’ve only got $75k.
Great value in its class fir sure…. If anything can even be compared …. as is though compared to Y if $ are a real factor fir buyer? No not really. It’s not twice the car.
But your point is reasonable.
As to a million mile battery.. I can assure you you don’t want a car with even 200,000 miles on it.
I’ve been in 400,000 mile cars twice.
There is no practical value to any Tesla end user on this forum to a 1 million mile battery. Buyers in this price range don’t keep cars long.
In short, even if the battery is magical and motors hang in 200-300k the rest will get worn slam out.
FSD self driving taxis aren’t even faintly close enough that should affect a current transaction.

I sold my daily driver last week, since I am getting my MYP this week. It 9 years old and 165K miles on it. It was in good really condition for the age and miles. Part of that is that I was very fastidious with the maintenance. I sat down the other day. In the 7 years that I owned it, I spent nearly $13k in maintenance and repairs. The thing about old cars is that you either spend a lot on maintenance or they are just rattling pieces of junk. Even with the simpler drivetrain of an EV there will still be maintenance as the cars age. You have brakes, shocks and struts, seats wearing out, etc.

Anyway I’m not doing that again, I’m getting too old for that *sugar*. I’ll keep the MYP until the power train warranty is up and then buy a new one. If I even keep it that long. I may just keep it until the bumper to bumper is up, depends on how I feel. Part of my reason with going with a Tesla, is they hold their value well. So I won’t have to write quite as big of a check next time.

Reactions: bob00 and advocate8
Here are the first up-close photos of a confirmed Austin build

Link
Yawwwnn…This isn’t news. More semi/fake content fir Twitter hype. We’ve seen more than 400 Austin builds in the drone footage. Sick of seeing Austin builds. Is it shocking Tesla employees are driving them around texas? No….they keep vanishing off the lit.
Is it shocking they have gaps that aren’t in-spec? Nope.
Now an Austin CUSTOMER car… and facts about range etc …that would be news.

• Disagree
Reactions: mwdietertg
I sold my daily driver last week, since I am getting my MYP this week. It 9 years old and 165K miles on it. It was in good really condition for the age and miles. Part of that is that I was very fastidious with the maintenance. I sat down the other day. In the 7 years that I owned it, I spent nearly $13k in maintenance and repairs. The thing about old cars is that you either spend a lot on maintenance or they are just rattling pieces of junk. Even with the simpler drivetrain of an EV there will still be maintenance as the cars age. You have brakes, shocks and struts, seats wearing out, etc.

Anyway I’m not doing that again, I’m getting too old for that *sugar*. I’ll keep the MYP until the power train warranty is up and then buy a new one. If I even keep it that long. I may just keep it until the bumper to bumper is up, depends on how I feel. Part of my reason with going with a Tesla, is they hold their value well. So I won’t have to write quite as big of a check next time.
You seem pretty wise…and a car person…In retrospect…..would that 13k have been better spent a few years back on a new vehicle plus your trade? Honest question, not jabbing…

It has been reported that Elon will be at the GigaBerlin factory this Wednesday for the official start of deliveries. I wouldn't be surprised if the same will be true for officially rolling out the first Austin deliveries on April. 7 at the Gigatexas Feast event, even if initial Austin deliveries might be possible a few days earlier..
Dude needs to quit flying all over the place, tweeting this and that and hanging out with Kanye..and instead get his ass back to Fremont and help get my car built.
Full self driving? I can’t even get to full ME driving.

You seem pretty wise…and a car person…In retrospect…..would that 13k have been better spent a few years back on a new vehicle plus your trade? Honest question, not jabbing…

Yeah in hind sight, I should have sold that car long ago. It was one of those things that I didn’t realize how much I was spending on it until I looked back and added it up. Every time I spent money on it, I just told myself it was cheaper than a car payment. Really the money would have been better spent on a car payment.