Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't been following this for a while so apologies if this has been covered already. I have a MY LR 5-seater with a delivery window of May 4-Jun 1. What are my chances this would be from Austin?

1. Are you east or west of texas? West gives you near 0%.

2. We still need to find out if Austin will put out any LR's or produce this unknown " Model Y AWD" model for now during ramp up then later move to LR's.

The best answer anyone can give you is, no one knows besides location will play a role. Far too many unknowns right now.

Last edited:
Haven't been following this for a while so apologies if this has been covered already. I have a MY LR 5-seater with a delivery window of May 4-Jun 1. What are my chances this would be from Austin?
Zero. They have only certified a different model for construct there initially and ramp up even of that will be slow. Most think they’ll start building MYLR there later in the year. Probably. Maybe. And most think we’ll hear more on or by the opening part there April 7.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44

Someone posted this on Twitter today of the assembly line inside Austin. It shows the bottom to be structural battery pack. That points to 4680. Question remains whether these are SRs or LRs?
We pretty much knew that already re: structural packs... there have been various shots of bottomless chassis inside and outside the building and these battery-pack-seat assemblies on the production line for a month or two now and no evidence whatsoever of other types.
So the structural pack part hasn’t been a serious question. the biggest one is the one you note at the end there, and a secondary potential one is whether there might be an interim structural pack with smaller batteries.
These are probably SR’s. It seems beyond belief Austin won’t eventually be making other models of Y. The questions include when, and what specs they will have.

Nobody knows if Austin will even be producing a MYLR at this time. Could be a new SR AWD that got an EPA certificate of Conformity last month. Hopefully we will know more by April 7th Grand Opening Event

Reactions: Dharma
Def a serious clump of white MY today from Tegtymeyer’s drone, not just a single stray... and all with 20-inch wheels. No new clues but its nice to see they have come far enough with production to start pushing out a third color.

Attachments

• FOs9ppjXwAQOvEi.jpeg
    FOs9ppjXwAQOvEi.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 112
1. Are you east or west of texas? West gives you near 0%.

2. We still need to find out if Austin will put out any LR's or produce this unknown " Model Y AWD" model for now during ramp up then later move to LR's.

The best answer anyone can give you is, no one knows besides location will play a role. Far too many unknowns right now.
I'm East of TX. Got it, I'll be anxiously waiting for Apr. 7th. Thanks to you and others who responded!

Reactions: advocate8
Following your logic they make more money out of MYP and since there are fewer orders to fill with,4680 batteries in short supply perhaps the logic of lighter weight is more important for performance model. Also BMW and others are coming up fast in performance terms. No doubt wishful thinking on my part as I have an order in for MYP . If the worst comes to the worst I will burn my deposit and reorder when they are available.
We all get to speculate until Tesla reveals what they're doing.
I think they lean towards the larger order base, which is MYLR.
It's also a logistics issue, and wwe don't have much insight on those parts differences, which though small, could be a supplier issue.
But again, we don't know. And we don't know what we don't know!

The good news is most will be revealed by mid-April.

We pretty much knew that already re: structural packs... there have been various shots of bottomless chassis inside and outside the building and these battery-pack-seat assemblies on the production line for a month or two now and no evidence whatsoever of other types.
So the structural pack part hasn’t been a serious question. the biggest one is the one you note at the end there, and a secondary potential one is whether there might be an interim structural pack with smaller batteries.
These are probably SR’s. It seems beyond belief Austin won’t eventually be making other models of Y. The questions include when, and what specs they will have.
While your guess on MY SR is reasonable, there's never been any discussion of a structural battery pack using LFP cells.
There has been a '2170 backup plan' pack discussed, but that required a floorpan chassis, not a "bottomless" one (your term).
And the production line at Austin appears from all evidence to be building only 'bottomless' chassis - no floorpans.

It might make more sense that Fremont will build an LFP-based MY SR. They haven't started making 'bottomless' chassis yet.
But we still don't know the MY SR is LFP-based, either !!!!!

All speculation until maybe April 7.

While your guess on MY SR is reasonable, there's never been any discussion of a structural battery pack using LFP cells.
There has been a '2170 backup plan' pack discussed, but that required a floorpan chassis, not a "bottomless" one (your term).
And the production line at Austin appears from all evidence to be building only 'bottomless' chassis - no floorpans.

It might make more sense that Fremont will build an LFP-based MY SR.

Elon has many months back mentioned an alternative structural pack not using 4680 as an option. I never said LFP, and would be surprised if it were. The Austin cars clearly are structural pack in multiple photos over time, and zero evidence otherwise. So we’re looking at either a 4680 pack with not a ton of batteries to yield 280 miles, or alternative structural pack, probably with the same batteries now in MYLR. The 280-mile-range EPA test car has an Austin VIN. That’s what is being built there now.
But again, who knows what the plan is for 3 or 6 or 10 months from now..

Last edited:
We all get to speculate until Tesla reveals what they're doing.
I think they lean towards the larger order base, which is MYLR.
It's also a logistics issue, and wwe don't have much insight on those parts differences, which though small, could be a supplier issue.
But again, we don't know. And we don't know what we don't know!

The good news is most will be revealed by mid-April.
I totally agree with this. I’m certain they would love to eat into the backlog of MYLR which now stretches well into 2023, but probably are constrained first by ramp-up speed and prob also to a degree by other parts.

It might make more sense that Fremont will build an LFP-based MY SR. They haven't started making 'bottomless' chassis yet.

Let me throw in one more (complete) speculation. There was a statement that FSD HW4 was coming soon. You could put that in Austin with the 4680s and then justify sending those to people who bought FSD. This would effectively allow them to charge a (huge) premium if there's any 4680 benefit during ramp up, and address fremont/austin issues. (To be clear, I don't actually think this will happen, but it's not *totally* crazy.)

I missed this detail about the VIN. Can you share the source?
It is the only car submitted for testing out of Austin. One of the sharpest regulars here sleuthed it all out and dissected it a couple dozen pages above. Two sets of paperwork were submitted and the internet hype machine swallowed its disappointment at 280-mile range and made like there was a mystery and the other shoe waiting to could be the super-range, super-fast 4680 they had been selling us on.
But it was really just a second set of paperwork for the same car.
Meaning.... the evidence is we should prob not expect anything else out of Austin in near term.

much much much discussed on this thread... scroll up and look for the images of the car’s screen and the EPA paperwork etc. This is one of the rare things about all this that isn’t even faintly in question....
Sorry if I lost the plot somewhere. I saw the blue MY Austin VIN pic but I didn't see the EPA paperwork that had that VIN on it. Any chance you could point me to the EPA VIN source so I don't have to scroll through all 140 pages. .

Sorry if I lost the plot somewhere. I saw the blue MY Austin VIN pic but I didn't see the EPA paperwork that had that VIN on it. Any chance you could point me to the EPA VIN source so I don't have to scroll through all 140 pages. .
Here you go, leave a nickle in the tip jar. Post 2375 on page 119 (for me).