Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this structural battery pack +2170 happens, that should reduce the weight of the car and as a result, increase the range in theory, right?
If the same number of 2170 cells are the same as in the current MYs then any weight saving would be the change in the chassis structure. The same capacity battery pack using 4680 cells should be somewhat lower weight.

The whole point of the 4680 structural pack was to literally use the walls of the cells as load bearing members. 2170's are not well shaped or designed to do that, so a 2170 "structural" pack might fit in the right spot, but would likely have to either have additional bracing or be surrounded by a frame which gives up a lot of the weight savings.
Bingo. And I maintain 4680 version won’t save much.

If the same number of 2170 cells are the same as in the current MYs then any weight saving would be the change in the chassis structure. The same capacity battery pack using 4680 cells should be somewhat lower weight.
The fact of the matter is NO ONE has any facts. All speculation and opinion. I mean ZERO FACTS.

People are all waiting for the new battery like their life depended on it and honestly another opinion is that this is purely a cost saving move. Nothing more, nothing less. More efficient doesn't mean the car is more efficient, faster, stronger, longer range...it could simply just be the exact same performance with less cost in the build.

Please disassemble and evaluate the build quality, battery enclosure, 4680 cell arrangement and cooling loop, and structural frame castings ASAP. Post video to YouTube. Anyone driving an Austin Model Y around has to know that it is liable to be confiscated and have this done.

RT
Can see the structural battery pack area. Not sure what we are looking at in the third picture though!

Tesla plans to ship some 4680's this month so that kills point 3 off the bat . Tesla just isn't making enough 4680's at this time to handle all MYP or MYLR.

I think they will make some symbolic shipments to appease the shareholders but don't expect them to have enough battery capacity for another 6 months
What about if they just use 4680s on the new EPA Model SR+ until both Fremont and Austin 4680 production is ready to go??? That avoids the two different car dilemma.

What about if they just use 4680s on the new EPA Model SR+ until both Fremont and Austin 4680 production is ready to go??? That avoids the two different car dilemma.

I think thats the only car your going to see it on for a while. There is no way they will produce enough 4680's for the MYP/LR/SR/SEMIand CT

If they can produce the CT as fast as the MY ( about 35k a quarter) they would need somewhere around 21 Million 4680 batteries a month (they are currently making about 500k a month)

Unless tesla is holding something back we don't know about , they will need some of these other (unbuilt) battery factories to come online before they would have enough to convert everything to the 4680.

Reactions: Fairchild
I think thats the only car your going to see it on for a while. There is no way they will produce enough 4680's for the MYP/LR/SR/SEMIand CT

If they can produce the CT as fast as the MY ( about 35k a quarter) they would need somewhere around 21 Million 4680 batteries a month (they are currently making about 500k a month)

Unless tesla is holding something back we don't know about , they will need some of these other (unbuilt) battery factories to come online before they would have enough to convert everything to the 4680.
I heard it was now closer to 1m from Kato Rd. Then we have Austin coming online making 4680s, and Panasonic has a factory that should start in '23 making 4680s. Report: Panasonic To Start Production Of Tesla's 4680 Cells In 2023

The fact of the matter is NO ONE has any facts. All speculation and opinion. I mean ZERO FACTS.

People are all waiting for the new battery like their life depended on it and honestly another opinion is that this is purely a cost saving move. Nothing more, nothing less. More efficient doesn't mean the car is more efficient, faster, stronger, longer range...it could simply just be the exact same performance with less cost in the build.
Agree that facts are lacking. Even if the new battery is primarily a cost advantage, there was some conversation about the new battery architecture/model performing better in cold climates (some of us have winters that drop to -30F or lower), beyond the heat pump efficiency gains. Would be beneficial to better understand that

I heard it was now closer to 1m from Kato Rd. Then we have Austin coming online making 4680s, and Panasonic has a factory that should start in '23 making 4680s. Report: Panasonic To Start Production Of Tesla's 4680 Cells In 2023

Thats why I don't think they start converting P & LR until after the CT launch , MYP/LR/SR/CT will likely need over 30M a month and if GT is going to handle 2/3 of the east they aren't gong to do this until they can sustain full production. So unless they start using 2170's at GT I can't see how they start 4680 shipments on MYP&LR before 2024

• Funny
Reactions: Fairchild and Suns
Thats why I don't think they start converting P & LR until after the CT launch , MYP/LR/SR/CT will likely need over 30M a month and if GT is going to handle 2/3 of the east they aren't gong to do this until they can sustain full production. So unless they start using 2170's at GT I can't see how they start 4680 shipments on MYP&LR before 2024
Disagree. If needed, they will probably push CT launch yet again. So far, its still not supposed to start until '23. We just don't know when in '23. They need to get production going in Austin. If they are doing 4680s, then it will go to that variant of the MY that is being produced.

Realistically the CT is probably still a year away from production, depending in part on supply chain issues for the needed chips. In any case the CT production can be expected to only start after the 4680 production at gigatexas ramps up. At this point we don't know when 4680 battery production at gigatexas will start and what the ramp up curve will be. Kato road has been producing 4680 cells since last fall and it has been reported to have significantly increased battery production over the past several months, but we don't know the current production rate.

Reactions: z335is