Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the part I don’t get. Why are they inferior? Does this make the Model S Plaid the most inferior because it had the oldest model batteries that the 2170 improved upon?

Taking complex multidimensional technologies and trying to boil it down to newer = better is such flawed logic. Every tech has pros and cons and Tesla is balancing these options to meet their needs.

4680 vs 2170 cell is a manufacturing decision and both options can create fundamentally similar cars. Just as Teslas most advanced vehicles can use its oldest battery cell.

4680 does not magically equal better Model Y.

Additionally any cell format can be made with any cell chemistry. There's no reason one can't make the older cell format with the newest, latest and greatest, chemistry. The real advantage, Tesla said from the beginning, is that manufacturing will be cheaper, and battery cost will be cheaper with the new format. I don't remember them saying a thing about better for the consumer.

I've got a quarter million miles on my 2014 model S still with the original battery. It still works great. I'm assuming that the new battery chemistry may last even longer, no matter what format cell it is put in.

Reactions: BnGrm and Ciaopec
Additionally any cell format can be made with any cell chemistry. There's no reason one can't make the older cell format with the newest, latest and greatest, chemistry. The real advantage, Tesla said from the beginning, is that manufacturing will be cheaper, and battery cost will be cheaper with the new format.
Yep, one can do anything they want but there's only so many ways to get design optimization including reduced resistance, heat dissipation, longer cell lifetime, reduced weight, ...

Reactions: henderrj and danjw1
There is a longer string but this is the first time I have had 5YJ in the source code.

Y's no longer go with a 5YJ VIN. They transitioned to 7SA as the beginning 3.

Once you do get a VIN, you want to look towards the end of the VIN. For example, current VIN structure that you want to look for is NF133555. N= 2022 Model Year. F=Fremont was place it was assembled. An Austin Y would probably be NA133555.

Reactions: RaisinCain
Additionally any cell format can be made with any cell chemistry. There's no reason one can't make the older cell format with the newest, latest and greatest, chemistry. The real advantage, Tesla said from the beginning, is that manufacturing will be cheaper, and battery cost will be cheaper with the new format. I don't remember them saying a thing about better for the consumer.

I've got a quarter million miles on my 2014 model S still with the original battery. It still works great. I'm assuming that the new battery chemistry may last even longer, no matter what format cell it is put in.

Notice that Tesla's uber-sedan world-slaying Model S Plaid is running on... 18650 battery cells which are 2 generations back in terms of format.

Reactions: henderrj
Notice that Tesla's uber-sedan world-slaying Model S Plaid is running on... 18650 battery cells which are 2 generations back in terms of format.
And? Based on what we know, an updated Model S Plaid built around 4680s would be an even better car.

No one here said the a Model Y with 2170 would be inferior in general, just with respect to a similarly equipped Model Y with a 4680 battery. No one said the 2170 would he a bad car, it'd still be amazing.... just inferior with respect to the newer model. It sounds harsh, but it's reality. The fact that the Austin cars may use different paint will be yet anither reason they are better imo. The only thing I can envision being better about the 2170 car is battery maintenance/repair.

And? Based on what we know, an updated Model S Plaid built around 4680s would be an even better car.

No one here said the a Model Y with 2170 would be inferior in general, just with respect to a similarly equipped Model Y with a 4680 battery. No one said the 2170 would he a bad car, it'd still be amazing.... just inferior with respect to the newer model. It sounds harsh, but it's reality. The fact that the Austin cars may use different paint will be yet anither reason they are better imo. The only thing I can envision being better about the 2170 car is battery maintenance/repair.
Completely agree. I type this as I touch up the 3 chips in the paint on a 3 month old Southern California car.. The Model Y already has more chips than my 4 year old car that was driven in snow/salt/ice. I might get front end PPF on the incoming MY

This was stated a long time ago, in Tesla time. And so I wouldn't necessarily count on it holding up. I don't remember anything in this weeks earning call regarding that. Tesla, adapts quickly, they aren't Ford or GM.
It was said in the recent earning call that Austin would be supplying MYs for the Eastern 2/3 of the US. However, I can't see Austin being able to fully supply all of the MYs needed for the Eastern US until Austin production gets ramped up, perhaps by the end of 2022 or early 2023

Reactions: advocate8
I think it sounds reasonable *except* they explicitly said Fremont would send MYs to the West and Austin would send MYs East. And you wouldn’t want to make blatantly misleading statements on an earnings call…
In 468 days probably. They might increase the price by $4680 though.
Really? If you play the tape of the earnings report backwards I think you can almost hear Elon say 420 days and 69 hundred dollars more....

And the Model Y with an air suspension will provide a better ride, the ventilated seats will be more comfortable temperature, the Y with a range of 400 miles will be better, etc.

But there is no basis of reality in the above either. Better paint also has zero basis in reality because you don't know if Tesla will stick with the same paint they use in Fremont for better supply chain management or use a different paint. Just because Giga Berlin will use a different paint, does not mean Giga Texas will as well. Tesla probably has a different supply chain setup for Giga Berlin.

Reactions: advocate8
And the Model Y with an air suspension will provide a better ride, the ventilated seats will be more comfortable temperature, a lighter Y will lead to a faster Y, etc.

But there is no basis of reality in the above either. Better paint also has zero basis in reality because you don't know if Tesla will stick with the same paint they use in Fremont for better supply chain management or use a different paint. Just because Giga Berlin will use a different paint, does not mean Giga Texas will as well. Tesla probably has a different supply chain setup for Giga Berlin.
As I understand it, the Cali approved paint is also more expensive. It doesn't make sense to stick with it unless you have to imo. Not only that, I imagine it makes QC more expensive. I just can't imagine they'd even consider sticking with the current stuff.

Reactions: TEXAS-Y-P
As I understand it, the Cali approved paint is also more expensive. It doesn't make sense to stick with it unless you have to imo. Not only that, I imagine it makes QC more expensive. I just can't imagine they'd even consider sticking with the current stuff.

Only their bean counters would know if maintaining one supply line on something that may be a bit more expensive is cheaper or not than maintaining two different supply chains, etc. So just because the paint may cost more, the cost to have two supply chains could be higher. That is the analysis that probably has been done. We just don't know the results yet.