Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The weight savings alone would be better with the 4680. You’d have to be ignorant to think a couple hundred pounds doesn’t matter in a car. It matters in handling, wear and tear of suspension components (ie bushings), as well as tirewear. I’m not gonna say range since they may reduce the cells to keep the range similar, but might be easier to “hypermile”.

The paint can’t be helped if coming from Fremont unfortunately. Unless they use the same kind of water based paint in Texas just to keep one supply of paint.

Yes thats why I always make people get out of my car. It un driveable with the weight of a passenger or two.... lol... freeking twilight zone here

Yes thats why I always make people get out of my car. It un driveable with the weight of a passenger or two.... lol... freeking twilight zone here
Not sure which way the sarcasm was going lol

But a few hundred extra pounds over the course of 10s of thousands of miles will have more wear and tear. I definitely felt it going from a 2800 lbs car to a ~3400 lbs Subaru STi and then going back to a nimble S2000. Granted tire wear would vary from car to car depending on alignment.

I got all excited after hearing their earning calls and was thinking ordering a MYP sometime in this summer. I thought that would give enough time to mass produce 4680 Ys and also iron out some of the production issues along the way.

But.. After reading through this thread I can't help but to think Tesla may announce some sort of MYP+ model in the summer with 4680 and with all the speculative features (air suspension??). And obviously upcharge over $5k~$10k for the trim. This would align with the plaid strategy in S and X. Of course we won't see that model until next year.

I got all excited after hearing their earning calls and was thinking ordering a MYP sometime in this summer. I thought that would give enough time to mass produce 4680 Ys and also iron out some of the production issues along the way.

But.. After reading through this thread I can't help but to think Tesla may announce some sort of MYP+ model in the summer with 4680 and with all the speculative features (air suspension??). And obviously upcharge over $5k~$10k for the trim. This would align with the plaid strategy in S and X. Of course we won't see that model until next year.
its all just speculation. unless its happening - nothing is happening.

this is the mother of all rumor mill threads at the current time.

Entertaining but light on facts. All facts are shared on the earning call and other credible media sources. 1 or 2 on here.

I think it sounds reasonable *except* they explicitly said Fremont would send MYs to the West and Austin would send MYs East. And you wouldn’t want to make blatantly misleading statements on an earnings call…
True. Then again they did talk about long-term plans to expand the Freemont output beyond its current 600k capacity. Down the road there's no telling how such an increase in capacity could he utilized.

What is this final certification that is needed to sell the newly produced Model Ys?
Perhaps new EPA range numbers and/or crash test ratings. Also, the EPA issues a Certificate of Conformity showing the vehicle conforms to all emissions requirements (of course not a issue for an EV). As an example, below is the link for Tesla's Cert. of Conformity for 2022 Model Y Performance and LR

Last edited:
Reactions: Firocity
I believe the first inferior part of anything coming out of California would be the paint, as far as fitment I think they have it dialed in pretty good. Other than that, they should be professionals putting together a car. Texas should be able to hit the ground running, I bet there are many employees that would not mind moving to texas. I have to say hats off to the fremont crew, that plant looks like a jigsaw puzzle from hell and I bet there is room from improvement, it looks too crowded and more or less an organized cluster fawk. But they are making it work and my respects to them.
They bought an existing factory and converted it to make their cars. So this does at least make some sense. It was their first and only factory for a long time. So, maybe once Austin is fully up they will rebuild Fremont to improve efficiency.

*speculation alert*
What are the chances all the model Y’s come out of texas, and they expand model 3 capacity in cali.
This would avoid having 2 versions of the same car being produced for any meaningful amount of time. Keep in mind texas ramps up Y, and then it focuses on cybermirage.
Looking a t delivery times on the website for Model 3's, it looks like a shorter backlog than for the Model Y. So, I am not sure this makes much sense.

I think it sounds reasonable *except* they explicitly said Fremont would send MYs to the West and Austin would send MYs East. And you wouldn’t want to make blatantly misleading statements on an earnings call…
This was stated a long time ago, in Tesla time. And so I wouldn't necessarily count on it holding up. I don't remember anything in this weeks earning call regarding that. Tesla, adapts quickly, they aren't Ford or GM.