Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could see Tesla limiting the 4680 motors to keep the acceleration similar to the heavier Ys. But someone here did say to just sell the MYLR for the current crazy market value and just let it pay for a MYP. 🤔 it’s a good idea
If you buy used that is an option, if you try to flip your LR your and order new then your going to be in the same boat as some of the other people on this forum who had their orders canceled after flipping their LR.

What are you talking about? I think you misunderstand me. The acceleration will not come from an increase in power, it will come because the 4680 Model Y is said to be 250-400lbs lighter than the current one. If the output of the motor is not changed, the vehicle will be considerably faster. You won't see a 1/1 increase in acceleration mind you, but an 7-9% decrease in weight should net a solid 4-6% increase in acceleration, dropping the Performance version from 3.5 to 3.2-3.3 0-60 and a sub-12 second 1/4 mile.

As I stated above, the only way to have the acceleration remain the same is to gimp the output of the new vehicles motor. Or, as you suggested (and we all know ffs), gimp it further than it already is.

So, to your point, anyone that thinks their old 2170 Model Y will be as quick as a new 4680 Model Y will be disappointed (unless Tesla gimps the new ones).

Any significent change will be capped out, they are not going to have two MYP or two MYLR with different 0-60 times. I can see them offering a boost on the MYP to make it faster given the lower weight and better battery but they will make you pay for it.

Reactions: advocate8
Any significent change will be capped out, they are not going to have two MYP or two MYLR with different 0-60 times. I can see them offering a boost on the MYP to make it faster given the lower weight and better battery but they will make you pay for it.
So like I said, they'll need to gimp the motors to keep it from being faster. That however is only one part of it. A lighter MYP should also brake noticeably faster and handle better than a heavier one. This is a big deal imo since those are two of the loftiest criticisms levied against the MYP when comparing it to ICE alternatives or even the Mach-E.

I still don't see any weight difference equivelent to Two Passengers making any significent difference to braking or handeling.
Get into autocrossing or you can just look up weight's impact on braking and handling. It makes a huge difference. It will impact handling and braking more than it will range. Even 200lbs would make a huge difference. 400lbs??? That's just insane - that's the kind of weight loss you put a typical non-EV car if you want to make it into a track monster.

I still don't see any weight difference equivelent to Two Passengers making any significent difference to braking or handeling.
If you’re just driving point a to point b slowly probably not.
Some of us are car enthusiasts and understand how weight affects braking and handling. Granted I track 2800 lbs cars that have low power so I definitely notice the weight difference and less wear on consumables.
Non car people wouldn’t understand. I know the MY isn’t a track car but the principles still apply in a less extreme way.

What are you talking about? I think you misunderstand me. The acceleration will not come from an increase in power, it will come because the 4680 Model Y is said to be 250-400lbs lighter than the current one. If the output of the motor is not changed, the vehicle will be considerably faster. You won't see a 1/1 increase in acceleration mind you, but an 7-9% decrease in weight should net a solid 4-6% increase in acceleration, dropping the Performance version from 3.5 to 3.2-3.3 0-60 and a sub-12 second 1/4 mile.

As I stated above, the only way to have the acceleration remain the same is to gimp the output of the new vehicles motor. Or, as you suggested (and we all know ffs), gimp it further than it already is.

So, to your point, anyone that thinks their old 2170 Model Y will be as quick as a new 4680 Model Y will be disappointed (unless Tesla gimps the new ones).
A 4680 is reported to be 250-400lbs lighter than a non-megacast 2170. But the MY already shed the weight from the rear with no appreciable gain.

Realistically drop some weight from the front and the battery and might be 150-200lbs? But that’s a guess. At that point that’s the difference between a 6’3 male and a 5’3” female. That’s a slightly lighter tire. Which unless you are doing electronic timing at a strip with preheating and warning tires we know is not noticeable. And don’t forget lighter reduces regen gain. So… while it’s fun to say a 4680 will get more range or fast acceleration in both cases it really is a rounding error. There is likely more variability between same specd cars vs a random 4680 vs 2170 but yes, on a fully plotted chart the 4680s will lean faster and longer … by .01-.03 secs and by a mile or two on a 70% charge. Maybe 3-4 miles on a 100% charge.

Theoretical non real world gains don’t translate to the real world. But if you are gonna straight line race - you could slightly stack the deck by putting a 120lb driver in a 4680 vs a 200lb driver in a 2170. :cool:

Reactions: henderrj
You don't have any 250+ lb relatives? My current car lists sideways if they don't balance out. 😂
I had a S2000 back in the day (Stook = S too K) that I would occasionally pick up a friend in when heading home from classes. We were both car guys, he had a highly modded S4 that was a monster..... he was also 300-325lbs. We took my car on the back roads a few times and it was downright dangerous.... I'll never do it again. That and I swear the 0-60 went from 5.7 to nearly 6.5 seconds lol.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel L
A 4680 is reported to be 250-400lbs lighter than a non-megacast 2170. But the MY already shed the weight from the rear with no appreciable gain.

Realistically drop some weight from the front and the battery and might be 150-200lbs? But that’s a guess. At that point that’s the difference between a 6’3 male and a 5’3” female. That’s a slightly lighter tire. Which unless you are doing electronic timing at a strip with preheating and warning tires we know is not noticeable. And don’t forget lighter reduces regen gain. So… while it’s fun to say a 4680 will get more range or fast acceleration in both cases it really is a rounding error. There is likely more variability between same specd cars vs a random 4680 vs 2170 but yes, on a fully plotted chart the 4680s will lean faster and longer … by .01-.03 secs and by a mile or two on a 70% charge. Maybe 3-4 miles on a 100% charge.

Theoretical non real world gains don’t translate to the real world. But if you are gonna straight line race - you could slightly stack the deck by putting a 120lb driver in a 4680 vs a 200lb driver in a 2170. :cool:
it’s not just the straight line where the weight savings help. I’ve read on here that people said the rear cast shed about 200lbs and there would be an additional 200lbs with the 4680s.
I had a S2000 back in the day (Stook = S too K) that I would occasionally pick up a friend in when heading home from classes. We were both car guys, he had a highly modded S4 that was a monster..... he was also 300-325lbs. We took my car on the back roads a few times and it was downright dangerous.... I'll never do it again. That and I swear the 0-60 went from 5.7 to nearly 6.5 seconds lol.
That’s what I track now. Went from a BRZ to a AP2 S2000. It’s fairly stock but with a wilwood BBK. At buttonwillow raceway in SoCal the lighter weight I feel helps carry the speed through corners and you can brake a lot later into the braking zones compared to the heavier awd cars.

I can see that. But that’s also not additional weight balanced in the car. That’s a block of weight that throws off all the balance and lean of the vehicle.

More weight is bad. But the weight difference between current Model Ys and 4680s will not be anywhere near as impactful.

If the motors are the same and the weight is 400lbs difference, the acceleration should be VERY noticeable. I get what you are saying, but I won't believe it for a second until we have an early Model YP go up against a 4680 Model YP. I've been into cars my whole life and there's not a person on the planet that would tell you that losing 7-9% of body weight won't make a huge difference. Just swapping the wheels on a MYP can net a huge gain.

Reactions: rob968
it’s not just the straight line where the weight savings help. I’ve read on here that people said the rear cast shed about 200lbs and there would be an additional 200lbs with the 4680s.

That’s what I track now. Went from a BRZ to a AP2 S2000. It’s fairly stock but with a wilwood BBK. At buttonwillow raceway in SoCal the lighter weight I feel helps carry the speed through corners and you can brake a lot later into the braking zones compared to the heavier awd cars.
Oh man, that's nice. I never did the BBK, but I did love my car. Injen intake and header, HKS exhaust, 18" SSR GT1s wrapped in S03's (yeah, the wheels did make it slower, but it looked amazing and handled like a dream). Was going to include a pic but its bugging.

Exactly. Half the weight has already been shed and there weren’t people out there running over the non cast Ys. So why are we thinking a similar reduction for the 4680 plus front cast will suddenly be a different car? The facts don’t back that up. Back of the napkin math is exciting and fun. But it’s not real world. And we have a real world example we can point too.

How much faster and better performing are cast Model Ys vs original? I’m truly curious because I’ve never heard anyone say there was a big gain from dropping those reported 200lbs.

Exactly. Half the weight has already been shed and there weren’t people out there running over the non cast Ys. So why are we thinking a similar reduction for the 4680 plus front cast will suddenly be a different car? The facts don’t back that up. Back of the napkin math is exciting and fun. But it’s not real world. And we have a real world example we can point too.

How much faster and better performing are cast Model Ys vs original? I’m truly curious because I’ve never heard anyone say there was a big gain from dropping those reported 200lbs.
I don’t think it’ll be a significant improvement. But likely a noticeable one. But more noticeable when driven harder than normal I’d think. And the motors won’t have the push the extra 400/200 lbs up hills or what not. Either way, the full cast 4680 Austin MYs are coming. I’m also curious to see. Hope someone does a comparison of the older MY and new Austin MYs.

BTW, folks typically attribute 4x as the difference sprung vs unsprung weight has on the acceleration of a vehicle. Its not perfect, but its a nice estimate. Unsprung weight being largely the wheels and tires. So, losing 100lbs on wheels and tires would theoretically be close to getting you what you'd have if you cut 400lbs from the mass of the vehicle.

Here's a test from 2020 of an original Model Y P. He consistently got 3.75 with 21'' factory wheels. With wheels/tires that were 21lbs lighter each corner he ripped off 3.45s. With wheels that are 28lbs lighter he ripped off a 3.42s. I think he got low on power at that point, but I'm guessing it'd go even faster.

21lbs per wheel = 88lbs total = 352lbs of sprung weight loss
28lbs per wheel = 112lbs total = 4448lbs of sprung weight loss

0-60 times for the updated wheels dropped by about 0.3 seconds, or 8-9% of the original. That happens to, not coincidentally, correspond to what would have been equal to an 8-9% loss in vehicle weight (400lbs).