Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No they don't make more MYP. That 6+ month Backlog is all MYLR.

Tesla Prioritizes addons that increase their profit margins . If you get a plane jane MY witrh 19" they make you wait almost a year, but if you pay for ANY option they shave off 4 months . If you go furthur and buy a MYP they shave off 9 months .

White LR (BLK INT- no TOW) With 19" DEC
White LR (BLK INT- no TOW) WIth 20" Aug
White LR (wht INT- no TOW) With 19" AUG
White LR (BLK INT-yes TOW) With 19" AUG
RED LR (BLK INT- no TOW) With 19" AUG

They are basically saying pay for a more expensive car and you can get it faster. There used to be a 10K difference between the Y and the LR , in SEP it was 7k and today it is 5K . With the P the difference in $$ gets you get the the lower/stiffer suspention, Spoiler, red brakes, chrome pedals and Matrix headlights and the software unlock of the speed . THE MYLR is basically the same car without the unlocked software and accessories . For $2k tesla will let you knock off 1 sec 0-60 from the LR but they won't let you convert it to a P

Personally I was prepared to pay the $7k to get the car faster but I wanted the 19" wheels ( didn't even want it cheaper) but they would not sell it in that configuration so I just went with the LR.
I hear ya, I didn't think they made more P than LR, at least not 'regularly'. I recall it was something like 15-20% of the orders are Ps. My comment was more about the 'regularly' bit. I wonder if production now is as it has always been, or if Austin soon to be coming online has shifted things, that things aren't operating as 'regular' atm.... perhaps they are now making more Ps than they use to in preparation for a shift. Again, no idea, I'm not sure anyone outside of Tesla has any idea about that. I'm actually shocked at how well they are able to keep their near and mid-term plans a secret!

As for the Model Y LR vs P - I wanted 19'' or 2'' as well... in fact I've already bought 20'' Martian wheels to replace the MYP wheels that come standard. It seems like it was actually cheaper to go that route than paying for upgraded wheels, assuming I can sell brand new MYP wheels and tires for $2k or more.... which should be easy.

As for the Model Y LR vs P - I wanted 19'' or 2'' as well... in fact I've already bought 20'' Martian wheels to replace the MYP wheels that come standard. It seems like it was actually cheaper to go that route than paying for upgraded wheels, assuming I can sell brand new MYP wheels and tires for $2k or more.... which should be easy.

Yea people were telling me to go that route but I didn't want to buy a 70K car just to mess with swapping and selling tires I didn't want. Tesla used to sell the MYP with 19" and they took the choice away so for me there really was no other choice but the LR.

AS for what they produce at Austin first ... who knows . Tesla makes more on the MYP but would save more (Lojoistically) on the LR since there are many more of them.

Tesla also still needs to ship M3, MS & MX from Fremont so it could also be cheaper to ship the MYP from there since there are less of them and they may be able to piggyback the orders on the same car carriers.

tesla-model-s-longhorn.jpg

TESLA ANNOUNCES "MODEL Y, TEXAS EDITION"

Have had vetilated seats in my vehicles since around 2015, and also live in a summer hot/humid area and do lots of outdoor physical activity in the summer months. I very rarely use the ventilated seats option. Really does nothing to cool you down except make you feel like you've pissed yourself if you're sweaty from activity. YMMV.
True story! I had them in my Q5 and rarely used them for the same reason. Makes you feel kinda like ur wet. It was not substantial and the fan in the seat was annoying.

True story! I had them in my Q5 and rarely used them for the same reason. Makes you feel kinda like ur wet. It was not substantial and the fan in the seat was annoying.
I had an Infiniti M45 to drive for a while several years ago. Great car, but the cooled seats actually circulated chilled fluid through hoses in the seat bottom/back. When they kicked in, you thought for sure that you'd pissed yourself!

No I meant less kwh capacity to maintain 330 mile range due to the reduced weight. It might not be much of a reduction, but if it was 200-300 lb. lighter, 82 kwh would go further.
This is only mildly true. The weight doesn't have as much as an impact as you'd think. More weight requires more energy to move, but it also means more regeneration when slowing down. Yes, it will have an impact, but not relative to the weight. My guess is 10% less weight would yield 3-4% range... but thats just a WAG. The biggest by far is aerodynamics and driving speed. If we wanted to seriously improve the range of these cars we'll need more efficient motors, bigger/more efficient batteries or even slippier cars (and these already have insanely low cd).

When it comes to 'hidden range', I often thought the Model Y was going to get a bump of 5% or so since there was no change made when they upgraded the battery from 75 to 82kwh. I still think it might happen, but I did hear that the Ryzen processor is noticeably more voracious in its energy consumption, so much so that Tesla re-rated its range for some cars (non-US website, ours stayed the same).

Last edited:
tesla-model-s-longhorn.jpg

TESLA ANNOUNCES "MODEL Y, TEXAS EDITION"

This Confirms the leak!!!

Tesla leak reveals all-in-one ‘Superhorn’ for Model 3 and Y​

Tesla may be adding new hardware components to its upcoming 2022 Model 3 and Model Y vehicles — including a new all-in-one “Superhorn” that combines a horn, alarm, and loudspeaker.

Range aside, unless they gimp the motors, any 4680 Model Y with the same range as a 2170 is going to be noticeably faster, not mention brake and handle better.
All tesla motors are pre-gimped . Acceleration and top speed are all capped . Placing a better battery will change nothing .

The motors in the MYP can go faster with the existing battery pack but tesla only allows ranges which keep the battery thermally safe ( or keeps their pricing teirs intact) On the MYLR we already know you can buy the boost package which shaves 1 seconds off of the 0-60. They could turn it into a MYP if they wanted but accelleration like top speed is software capped to keep the models distinct.

Anyone thinking that the 4680 is going to offer an accelleration advantage over the 2170's in the MYP is going to be dissapointed.

All tesla motors are pre-gimped . Acceleration and top speed are all capped . Placing a better battery will change nothing .

The motors in the MYP can go faster with the existing battery pack but tesla only allows ranges which keep the battery thermally safe ( or keeps their pricing teirs intact) On the MYLR we already know you can buy the boost package which shaves 1 seconds off of the 0-60. They could turn it into a MYP if they wanted but accelleration like top speed is software capped to keep the models distinct.

Anyone thinking that the 4680 is going to offer an accelleration advantage over the 2170's in the MYP is going to be dissapointed.
What are you talking about? I think you misunderstand me. The acceleration will not come from an increase in power, it will come because the 4680 Model Y is said to be 250-400lbs lighter than the current one. If the output of the motor is not changed, the vehicle will be considerably faster. You won't see a 1/1 increase in acceleration mind you, but an 7-9% decrease in weight should net a solid 4-6% increase in acceleration, dropping the Performance version from 3.5 to 3.2-3.3 0-60 and a sub-12 second 1/4 mile.

As I stated above, the only way to have the acceleration remain the same is to gimp the output of the new vehicles motor. Or, as you suggested (and we all know ffs), gimp it further than it already is.

So, to your point, anyone that thinks their old 2170 Model Y will be as quick as a new 4680 Model Y will be disappointed (unless Tesla gimps the new ones).

Reactions: CyberGus

I could see Tesla limiting the 4680 motors to keep the acceleration similar to the heavier Ys. But someone here did say to just sell the MYLR for the current crazy market value and just let it pay for a MYP. 🤔 it’s a good idea

Reactions: Stook02ss