Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, once a public ready Austin MY is out, we can see the GVWR on the build plate. That will answer questions regarding weight savings if it is indeed 4680. Which should be easy to tell based on taking a pic of the front of the battery pack through the front passenger wheel well. If the pack is structural, this view will be different than the current 2170 Fremont packs.

Reactions: Stook02ss
BTW, folks typically attribute 4x as the difference sprung vs unsprung weight has on the acceleration of a vehicle. Its not perfect, but its a nice estimate. Unsprung weight being largely the wheels and tires. So, losing 100lbs on wheels and tires would theoretically be close to getting you what you'd have if you cut 400lbs from the mass of the vehicle.

Here's a test from 2020 of an original Model Y P. He consistently got 3.75 with 21'' factory wheels. With wheels/tires that were 21lbs lighter each corner he ripped off 3.45s. With wheels that are 28lbs lighter he ripped off a 3.42s. I think he got low on power at that point, but I'm guessing it'd go even faster.

21lbs per wheel = 88lbs total = 352lbs of sprung weight loss
28lbs per wheel = 112lbs total = 4448lbs of sprung weight loss

0-60 times for the updated wheels dropped by about 0.3 seconds, or 8-9% of the original. That happens to, not coincidentally, correspond to what would have been equal to an 8-9% loss in vehicle weight (400lbs).

If I remember that video correctly, he used Model 3 wheels for the fastest run, and the diameter on those tires is smaller than on stock Y tires. He essentially changed the gear ratio which assisted in the 0-60 reduction.

The source of all entertainment on TMC.

If I remember that video correctly, he used Model 3 wheels for the fastest run, and the diameter on those tires is smaller than on stock Y tires. He essentially changed the gear ratio which assisted in the 0-60 reduction.
Correct, but that didn't have much of an impact, at least not on the final time. The proof is in the 19" wheels. While the 18" were faster and, with tire, were ever so smaller in diameter, the 19's weren't. They were TSW wheels made for the Y. Those wheels netted 3.45 0-60 vs 3.42 0-60 for the 18''. Much faster than the factor test of 3.73-3.83.

That said, to your point, I'll bet the 18's could have netted an even bigger gain for reason you mentioned, than and even if they were the same overall diameter, the extra weight loss alone should have made a bigger difference.

Also, as for the times - those are with rollout. If measured without rollout the way Tesla advertises, the 3.75 would be closer to 3.5, and the others closer to 3.2.

Reactions: rob968
The drop in time is also in line with what you can expect on other vehicles. Apparently folks with Model 3 P have swapped out their 20's for 18's and shaved off over 0.2 to 60... and they are already capable of 3.0-3.1.

Well, once a public ready Austin MY is out, we can see the GVWR on the build plate. That will answer questions regarding weight savings if it is indeed 4680. Which should be easy to tell based on taking a pic of the front of the battery pack through the front passenger wheel well. If the pack is structural, this view will be different than the current 2170 Fremont packs.
Indeed. I've already got a set of 20" Martians in the garage right now waiting to be put on in place of the 21" factory wheels. I plan to do some testing before selling the car, which I'll gladly post on this forum after the fact.

Doing a little back research, the initial LR MY from 2020 had GVWR of 5302#. 2022 is 5224#. Assuming only rear megacast is being used that is only an 80# weight saving, unless the 2021 GVWR was higher. Assuming the rear megacast has the same weight savings, it'll be down to 5140#.

Not much in the overall scheme of things or close to the reported 400# savings switch to front and rear megacasts. Unless something else is going on where 200# reduction in curb weight is only showing as 80# reduction in gvwr (allowing more load due to the megacasts).

Doing a little back research, the initial LR MY from 2020 had GVWR of 5302#. 2022 is 5224#. Assuming only rear megacast is being used that is only an 80# weight saving, unless the 2021 GVWR was higher. Assuming the rear megacast has the same weight savings, it'll be down to 5140#.

Not much in the overall scheme of things or close to the reported 400# savings switch to front and rear megacasts. Unless something else is going on where 200# reduction in curb weight is only showing as 80# reduction in gvwr (allowing more load due to the megacasts).
If that's the case, I agree that we wouldn't expect much of an improvement acceleration wise thus far - well within the expected deviation for consecutive runs. That's not much more than the difference in weight between two different drivers... a fatty like me and my far more attractive wife =)

I'm guessing the remainder of the savings is w/ the 4680 and the structural battery pack? I don't know much about it mind you, so I'm just supposing.

Reactions: Mrbrock

The reported curb weight for a 2020 MY is 4,416 lbs.

It seems like it gained weight if anything since Tesla lists the current MY at 4,555 lbs lol.

It seems like it gained weight if anything since Tesla lists the current MY at 4,555 lbs lol.
Those numbers are helpful.

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, which is essentially that maximum loaded weight the vehicle can handle. It definitely provides insight into changes to the platform, but curb weight is more relevant to this chat.

Reactions: voxel
T

Most of the weight savings will be coming from utilizing the structural battery pack.

If the motors are the same and the weight is 400lbs difference, the acceleration should be VERY noticeable. I get what you are saying, but I won't believe it for a second until we have an early Model YP go up against a 4680 Model YP. I've been into cars my whole life and there's not a person on the planet that would tell you that losing 7-9% of body weight won't make a huge difference. Just swapping the wheels on a MYP can net a huge gain.
If all things were the same, and no parts or software settings were changed, you would be correct.

But Tesla software engineers are perfectly capable of tuning the acceleration curve to not change at all, and make all of the weight savings translate into fewer batteries for cost savings and still achieve the same spec in range.

Why do you presume Tesla engineers won't change anything else on the car?

If all things were the same, and no parts or software settings were changed, you would be correct.

But Tesla software engineers are perfectly capable of tuning the acceleration curve to not change at all, and make all of the weight savings translate into fewer batteries for cost savings and still achieve the same spec in range.

Why do you presume Tesla engineers won't change anything else on the car?
I didn't say they wouldn't, in fact in my responses I've said many times that they may further gimp the motors...

Where did you see the current curb weight? The 4555 reported on many sites is from the Tesla Singapore Model Y English owners manual (en_sg). In the en_us manual, it says to check the build plate (vehicle certification label) which only lists GVWR. One might assume they are the same but who knows if MIC MY use the exact same megacasts as Fremont. We also have 7 seat and 5 seat while MIC is only producing 5 seat according to the manual.

Where did you see the current curb weight? The 4555 reported on many sites is from the Tesla Singapore Model Y English owners manual (en_sg). In the en_us manual, it says to check the build plate (vehicle certification label) which only lists GVWR. One might assume they are the same but who knows if MIC MY use the exact same megacasts as Fremont. We also have 7 seat and 5 seat while MIC is only producing 5 seat according to the manual.
Its listed in different places. I could see it being accurate though... now that I think about it longer. Didn't they update the 2021 mid-year such that all 2022's will now have 82kwh batteries instead of the older 75kwh?

That may or may not account for it.

Reactions: scottf200
According to the specs on Tesla.com, the current Y curb weight is 4416lbs.

1643830396087.png