Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I addition to what @Stook02ss said, there is no indication yet that Austin will, or will not, be making the MYP.

Right now, it’s about a 6 week lead on the MYP and I don’t think Tesla wants the lead time much less then that.
Agreed .. and for those considering cancelling and re-ordering, it probably doesn’t make sense to re-order until mid March (and even then, depending on location and config, you could moved up to quarter-end).

You forget that Tesla advertises range, not capacity. I have no idea what they are going to do with 4860s but they wouldn't be breaking any promises by delivering say a 78 kw 4860 with the same range as the current model. Honestly I suspect they will just make it 82 kw as present but just reserve more range as a buffer for battery degradation etc.. basically the same they did when going from 78 to 82.

One thing I would put money on (call me out!) Is that they won't ship two LR models from different factories in the US that have any appreciable range or performance differences. If there's going to be a difference it will be a new model or in lockstep with Fremont.
That's what I just said...They're not going to advertise any different ranges...whether you actually get a different range or they enable it later is a different story.

Two different models one with 2170/4680 is going to happen for some period of time...they aren't going to nerf one with a smaller battery that makes zero sense. They just won't advertise them as different...

That's what I just said...They're not going to advertise any different ranges...whether you actually get a different range or they enable it later is a different story.

Two different models one with 2170/4680 is going to happen for some period of time...they aren't going to nerf one with a smaller battery that makes zero sense. They just won't advertise them as different...
The 4680 IS NOT going to have more range. It will be smaller kWh. It makes 100% sense. Less cells, less weight, less cost same range and performance, more profit. So they won’t need to change any advertising or promised specs. And it’s not “nerfing” it if the performance and range specs are the same.

And yes, if you want to be sure you get one from Austin, cancel your current order and reorder once it is confirmed Austin is shipping to your state. Just because Austin starts producing does not mean they are going to produce enough to cover the eastern 2/3rds of the US as is planned for when production is 100%. They may only cover the northeast or southeast at the beginning. No one knows. And it is highly likely Fremont will switch to 4680 at or around the same time.

The 4680 IS NOT going to have more range. It will be smaller kWh. It makes 100% sense. Less cells, less weight, less cost same range and performance, more profit. So they won’t need to change any advertising or promised specs. And it’s not “nerfing” it if the performance and range specs are the same.

And yes, if you want to be sure you get one from Austin, cancel your current order and reorder once it is confirmed Austin is shipping to your state. Just because Austin starts producing does not mean they are going to produce enough to cover the eastern 2/3rds of the US as is planned for when production is 100%. They may only cover the northeast or southeast at the beginning. No one knows. And it is highly likely Fremont will switch to 4680 at or around the same time.
It makes no sense at all. They'll save money by going to the 4680 anyways...they're not going to put in less capacity and trying to claim because they've saved on weight that you'll get more mileage and therefore a smaller battery is the way to go. That goes against what they've done in the past as well....Can you imagine how that looks to the public? And yes, telling people your MY now comes with a smaller battery capacity IS something the general public will be interested in...

• Disagree
Reactions: soumak and mdsco
It makes no sense at all. They'll save money by going to the 4680 anyways...they're not going to put in less capacity and trying to claim because they've saved on weight that you'll get more mileage and therefore a smaller battery is the way to go. That goes against what they've done in the past as well....Can you imagine how that looks to the public? And yes, telling people your MY now comes with a smaller battery capacity IS something the general public will be interested in...
We’ve seen images of the honeycomb pack for the new Y, and it has slots for 960 cells. It’s anyones guess precisely how much that is in kWh but I’m guessing they just fill that and that’s what it is. And Fremont will ship that soon too…

This is 100% wrong. For evidence just look at Teslas website. Go to Model 3 and look at Standard range, long range, performance. Click the links about range and performance. Keep digging. Leave the order page. Go to menu and look up the model 3 details. Go to the specs page. Go to expanded specs.

Absolutely no where does Tesla post the battery capacity on their website. You have to be on forums or trade rags to find it. They absolutely do not talk about battery capacity. They talk range and range only.

We’ve seen images of the honeycomb pack for the new Y, and it has slots for 960 cells. It’s anyones guess precisely how much that is in kWh but I’m guessing they just fill that and that’s what it is. And Fremont will ship that soon too…
I actually did this exercise with that picture in the past the MY today has 4416 cells It has a 82KW battery (75 useable) .

A 4680 is suppost to have 6 times the power of a 2170

@6 times 960 would be 107KW
@5 times 960 would be 89KW

IF (big if) they went with the 960 it would be between 89 & 107 but its just as likely they do not use 24x40 and reduce the # of cells

EDIT: also the unknown with the 4680 is its longivity. It is a different format and chemestry then the 2170 so it is possible that it degrades faster. Tesla only needs to maintain 70% in 8 years which I am sure it will but hopefully it is as reliable as the 2170's.

This is 100% wrong. For evidence just look at Teslas website. Go to Model 3 and look at Standard range, long range, performance. Click the links about range and performance. Keep digging. Leave the order page. Go to menu and look up the model 3 details. Go to the specs page. Go to expanded specs.

Absolutely no where does Tesla post the battery capacity on their website. You have to be on forums or trade rags to find it. They absolutely do not talk about battery capacity. They talk range and range only.
And yet, that information is accessible and all that needs to happen is people know about it.....Would it be a news story? Of course...then what happens? And for what? You're providing X capacity now, you surely wouldn't drop it. And if it officially comes back with a lower EPA rating as a result? What happens then? Will they have it certified before then? That's a legal headache right there. And yet none of that happens if you simply leave it the same capacity. If you shave weight, sure, people will get slightly more range and maybe that's an innovation feature they start advertising as everyone notices the newer models have a slight (and it is slight) bump in range.
I'm not stating in the least Tesla would directly tell people their cars have less capacity...by tell I mean it will be information that people know..and juicy information if it is newsworthy enough for the general public to be interested in.

• Disagree
Reactions: mdsco
And yet, that information is accessible and all that needs to happen is people know about it.....Would it be a news story? Of course...then what happens? And for what? You're providing X capacity now, you surely wouldn't drop it. And if it officially comes back with a lower EPA rating as a result? What happens then? Will they have it certified before then? That's a legal headache right there. And yet none of that happens if you simply leave it the same capacity. If you shave weight, sure, people will get slightly more range and maybe that's an innovation feature they start advertising as everyone notices the newer models have a slight (and it is slight) bump in range.
I'm not stating in the least Tesla would directly tell people their cars have less capacity...by tell I mean it will be information that people know..and juicy information if it is newsworthy enough for the general public to be interested in.
This makes no sense at all. But time will tell.

Reactions: mdsco
I called my local Chery Hill, NJ dealership and spoke with a SA about placing my current order (02/14 - 02/26) on hold and told him that I have not received any calls or a VIN yet. I told him I have to sell my current car in order to make the cash purchase transaction. Thinking I would only have approximately 3 -7 days to sell it and that would not be enough time. I asked him to place my order on hold for 30 days if that was even possible. I told him that I have been reading on my Tesla Forum that other customers are placing their cars on hold. He said that he could not place it hold until they assign a VIN to me. He said they would not cancel my order and they would just sell the car to the next match on the list. I said why can't you just place me on hold now and let someone else move up in line that matches my order? He was like just wait until they assign you a VIN and tell them you want to be put on hold.
I plan to roll the dice and just accept the car that I ordered and enjoy it like my original plans and continue to watch what happens with 4680 customers after roll out. My EDD may even get pushed back again until sometime in March. I can always drive the car for a year and then sell it and order a MYP2.0 if it turns out to be a much more desirable car. If thigs stay the way they have been I should be able to get close to my original purchase price if I am lucky.

You’d hope it was a mistake. But if you look at that posters tweets they are Tesla and crypto based. It’s pretty clear they know what they are doing and were just stirring the pot.

This was his origional tweet saying his MYP is an austin build..

He later said he gave the wrong part of the VIn but it has the A but he has never posted it .. he's likely on the phone now trying tp place the order on hold until he can get an austin vin.

It appears that the new Austin Texas Gigafactory is hoping to begin production of Model Y's starting in late December 2021, or early Jan. 2022 with the first deliveries to customers perhaps in January. Up until now all Model Y's sold in the USA have been build at Tesla's Fremont CA assembly plant. As we approach the end of December and early January, a few of us with Model Y's on order may receive a message from Tesla with a VIN indicating their Model Y will be coming from the Austin TX Gigafactory. The 11th character in the VIN will either be a "F" indicating Fremont or an "A" indicating Austin as the location of the assembly plant producing that vehicle.

I'm starting this thread for those with Model Y's scheduled for delivery in Jan. 2022 (or later) to report where their vehicle is being built, So please watch out for the message from Tesla that includes the vehicle's VIN and after checking the 11th character (either a "F" or "A", post your findings here.

Any guess when the first VIN will be seen with Austin indicated as the factory location?

Some interesting Youtube links:
Just got my VIN this morning for 2022 MYP and it's Fremont. Mixed feelings, was hoping for the 4680s but looks like not yet.