Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the story behid that ? The only way I have seen this is if you have broken the contract by previously flipping a reciently purchased tesla or not taking delivery after being on hold for a very long time.

EDIT: I looked at some of your older posts, I am not a lawyer so you shoiuld consult one for advice but my understanding is that since there is not any "Official" hold policy , a hold could Technically be seen as a breach of the origional contract where tesla is allowing you purchase at the origonal price beyond your origional contract but they canset any terms they like since the origional contract terms do not exist at that point.
I had an original delivery date I was happy with. Tesla took the car off of hold months early, with no action on my part. They automatically gave me a vin and told me to pick up the car. I did not want the car in the middle of winter (this will be a summer car, I wouldn't use it for another seven months after that date). They removed the car from my account.

I'm definitely annoyed, but it's only 3k and I'm hoping to get the 4680 at this point.

Reactions: advocate8
I'm a lawyer and I teach math and physics (female, not male). This is a second career so I could escape NYC big law.

Anyway, guesses on 4680 Austin production? Looks like they are getting closer.
Production already underway, first deliveries soon. However, only limited numbers of cars being produced initially then gradual ramp up over the next several months.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
I saw the truck with the cars and the ones outside the factory, but I wasn't sure if those were customer cars. They also haven't announced any change of specs if those are 4680 based.
They may not show updated specs on the Tesla web site until after all new MYs being produced at both Austin and Fremont are the updated version.

My 2 cents on the whole certification thing: if Tesla has cars ready for delivery from Austin, I don't think certification would be an issue. Corporations move heaven and earth to ensure millions of dollars in inventory are not sitting idle because of a certification delay. Especially an aggressive company like Tesla.

Reactions: Msicario and KJD
My 2 cents on the whole certification thing: if Tesla has cars ready for delivery from Austin, I don't think certification would be an issue. Corporations move heaven and earth to ensure millions of dollars in inventory are not sitting idle because of a certification delay. Especially an aggressive company like Tesla.
I doubt Tesla is going to be able to butter the EPA to make things go faster.

Reactions: SWIPE and DrGriz
you can continue to prioritize P’s at Fremont, and make LR the focus at Austin. so, yes, you can.
LOL....That's not quite the same thing...but if so to you, by all means, think that. Right now they're prioritizing higher revenue (and margin) cars. They get built sooner and so the base keeps getting pushed out..they're still being made..but right now if you order an LR with everything what is the date? If you order an LR with nothing else, what is the date? That tells you every thing you need to know...just changing the rims which is a nothing changes the date.

🤔 If history repeats itself...

First truckload of Model S Plaid spotted leaving Fremont: 19 March 2021

2C501BC4-7A27-49A9-9984-7AEF258A03B1.jpeg

First Model S Plaid deliveries (at Fremont - oh, the irony): 10 June 2021

tesla-model-s-plaid-delivery-event-elon-musk.jpg

First truckload of Austin-produced (maybe) Model Ys spotted on a road somewhere in the USA (probably): 15 February 2022

AATTfEC.jpg

Ergo, 83 days later...

giphy (1).gif

First Austin-produced Model Y deliveries: 🌟 9 May 2022 🌟

🍺🍔

🤔 If history repeats itself...

First truckload of Model S Plaid spotted leaving Fremont: 19 March 2021

View attachment 771530

First Model S Plaid deliveries (at Fremont - oh, the irony): 10 June 2021

View attachment 771476

First truckload of Austin-produced (maybe) Model Ys spotted on a road somewhere in the USA (probably): 15 February 2022

View attachment 771481

Ergo, 83 days later...

View attachment 771504

First Austin-produced Model Y deliveries: 🌟 9 May 2022 🌟

🍺🍔
I like this theory….. my MYP current EDD is 4/28-5/30

It seems to me that the next big milestone will be when actual customer deliveries are confirmed to have begun or are ready to begin. Perhaps forum members in a position to do so can talk to their local sales associates and have them check to see it they have received any VINs for incoming MYs that would indicate they were made in Austin (11th digit of VIN would be 'A'). Most likely these MYs will only be shipped to Eastern states. Of course a prerequisite milestone will be Tesla receiving certification approval from the Feds (either EPA or NTHSA ???) but we may not hear anything about that when it happens, or perhaps has already happened.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the next big milestone will be when actual customer deliveries are confirmed to have begun or are ready to begin. Perhaps forum members in a position to do so can talk to their local sales associates and have them check to see it they have received any VINs for incoming MYs that would indicate they were made in Austin (11th digit of VIN would be 'A'). Most likely these MYs will only be shipped to Eastern states. Of course a prerequisite milestone will be Tesla receiving certification approval from the Feds (either EPA or NTHSA ???) but we may not hear anything about that when it happens, or perhaps has already happened.
I think certification would make national news, given the microscope Tesla sits under. I would be surprised if it took more than half an hour before it was twittered.