Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So much for getting Austin 4680 cars. The odds aren't exactly in our favor.... 1 million cells total? So about 1,000 Model Ys max made from them.

Not holding my breath.
It’s not great to get that confirmation. But at what appears to be a slow ramp-up, at least by the time Austin uses that first million there will be a second waiting... then things get progessively trickier.

It’s also true the post is a congratulations for January. They already may be closing in on that second million.
dr-evil-one-billion.gif

Not awkward at all. Quite literal. 4680 production will not be a limiting factor to production ramp at Austin. If you ASSUME that all cars at Austin will be 4680 then yes, it is awkward wording but they have been quite open about having a backup plan for 2170s Austin and Berlin. And with the info from Kato Rd, if they want to produce anything more than 100 cars per week then they WILL be using 2170s. It is unlikely to ramp production of cells from 800 per day per machine to 82,000 per day per machine at the same rate the factory ramps production. Probably looking at close to 2 years for that capacity. And the car part of the factory will be ready within 12 months likely.
Well here's the quote
"So in Texas, we’re building the Model Ys with the structural battery pack and the 4680 cells, and we’ll start delivering after final certification of the vehicle, which should be fairly soon," So You can read that in one of two ways. The Model Ys in Austin will be 4680 or that they are building some with 4680s. Again, technically it could be both but you would probably not word something like that if you meant you're building both. Possible, but awkward.

So yes, you could be right...but you'd have to be awfully jaded to think like that..which is basically everything they say is technically true but they're actually just lying to us...

Reactions: Silence88 and NYMY
Joe's latest video shows only 40 MYLRs sitting outside Austin, compared to 108 yesterday, so presumably a large portion of them have already been put on transport trucks and are en route - somewhere?
Or got pushed back inside.
It would be kinda odd for them to put those covers on for a few hours, then ship half of them out... but who knows. The covers are a little odd either way...
And minor detail..,.he gives a verbal guess of “about 40” to open the video, but there are 56 left there lined up. And every last one you can actually see the wheels on is an LR.
On plus side def some visible in assembly area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terminator857
Joe mentioned they were still actively pouring the concrete for the parking pad, so maybe the covers are related to the ongoing construction.
dunno, like people keep pointing out, Fremont can get pretty dusty, and some of the other places they have been stockpiling coverless cars are windblown and dusty as all get out, too. Another Tesla forum mystery...

Last edited:
dunno, like people keep pointing out, Fremont can get pretty dusty, and some of the places they have been stockpiling cars are windblown and dusty as all get out, too. Another Tesla forum mystery...
Yeah but dust and cement from concrete are not the same thing. Cement could be potentially corrosive.

Or got pushed back inside.
It would be kinda odd for them to put those covers on for a few hours, then ship half of them out... but who knows. The covers are a little odd either way...
And minor detail..,.he gives a verbal guess of “about 40” to open the video, but there are 56 left there lined up. And every last one you can actually see the wheels on is an LR.
On plus side def some visible in assembly area.
My guess is this - pushed back inside. I feel like we saw pictures from the inside recently and their were lots of Ys in there. Perhaps they had to move some outside temporarily to progress with factory work.

Yeah, all true. and also it looks like the wind has really been whipping it hard there pretty often..... there was that wind storm a couple weeks ago and even in this video you can see the covers flapping briskly and one is blown clean off...
A week after I moved to Dallas Tx a red “fog” blew in and I had to put towels around the apt door to keep it out. The tv news said it was a dust storm blowing in from West Tx. Not to mention hail storms of golf ball size. Maybe they should store the new cars inside until can ship.

Well here's the quote
"So in Texas, we’re building the Model Ys with the structural battery pack and the 4680 cells, and we’ll start delivering after final certification of the vehicle, which should be fairly soon," So You can read that in one of two ways. The Model Ys in Austin will be 4680 or that they are building some with 4680s. Again, technically it could be both but you would probably not word something like that if you meant you're building both. Possible, but awkward.

So yes, you could be right...but you'd have to be awfully jaded to think like that..which is basically everything they say is technically true but they're actually just lying to us...
It’s not awkward when it’s carefully chosen to maximize return for investors. People hear the comment and interpret it like you do and the stock goes up. Marketing spin. He is a master of it. “Funding secured.” Sound familiar? There’s a reason people become jaded. They’ve been exposed to bs too many times and have reason to stop believing. I love the company and what they are doing but people that don’t think they need a PR department and speak for themselves do not understand they are the sole reason PR departments exist. Look at Trump, entertaining as hell but hard to believe a word that he says. Elon talks a big game and eventually things happen. But 4680 volume prduction is right there with cybertrucks and the Roadster.

I don't think people in CA get their deliveries sooner than average. If someone gets moved up during EOQ push, someone else will probably get moved down early in the quarter to compensate for it.

Also, where are we seeing these MYLR December order deliveries? Teslike spreadsheets shows couple of Europe deliveries for December MYLR orders. And couple of US folks with order to VIN under a week, so I am guessing inventory orders. Other than that all December orders being delivered are MYP. Sure someone in an area with not too many deliveries can get lucky if someone else with their specific config cancels/rejects and they are next in line in that area. But getting delivery so far ahead of schedule is a rare exception rather than a rule.

And what you’re not getting is MYPs are already prioritized nearly all they possibly can be and shifting their production site can’t improve that to any significant extent.
I know that already.....You can't prioritize both right? Otherwise you prioritize neither?