Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's curious. If those MYs were completed they would be rolled onto a semi trailer and hauled away to complete the sale. But these are parked difficult for any semi to load, some were pushed out of the factory, and reportedly some vehicles had missing parts.
They can't legally sell any of them yet . Not until they pass certification. So no Vin can be assigned to anyone

According to Elon at last month's quarterly earnings call, 4680 cells are not the limiting factor for how many MYs tjeu can now built. Rather it is the supply of computer chips. I think many on this forum are under estimating just how many 4680 cells are now be produced by the Kato Rd. battery factory as what info has come out of Tesla indicates that it can meet the needs for 4680 cells until the battery factory in Austin and the new Panasonic factory come online later this year.
4680s not being a limiting factor doesn’t mean they have a supply to match MY production ramp at Austin. It means they have backup supply of 2170 to meet production without 4680. If 4680 production was at full title to match MY production, don’t you think they’d be shouting that from every rooftop?

Reactions: DrGriz and Budshark
4680s not being a limiting factor doesn’t mean they have a supply to match MY production ramp at Austin. It means they have backup supply of 2170 to meet production without 4680. If 4680 production was at full title to match MY production, don’t you think they’d be shouting that from every rooftop?

I think it's even more simple.

They have constraints on other chip parts required to make Model Y's so they are unable to ramp Austin faster than they can make 4680 batteries WHILE keeping Fremont going at full speed also making Model Y's.

I think it's even more simple.

They have constraints on other chip parts required to make Model Y's so they are unable to ramp Austin faster than they can make 4680 batteries WHILE keeping Fremont going at full speed also making Model Y's.
Unlikely. They would have been downplaying Austin if this was the case. They have chip supply for whatever their plans are for Austin. And battery supply. Just not all 4680.

By all accounts, Reno is churning out 40GWh of batteries per year. That’s enough for 500,000 LR M3/MY. Fremont isn’t producing that much so the balance is tabbed for Austin. If they aren’t going to Austin, then they have a massive stockpile of 2170 cells/packs building up.

That could mean what you think it means..but that would be an awkward way of wording it don't you think? I guess we will see soon enough.

That could mean what you think it means..but that would be an awkward way of wording it don't you think? I guess we will see soon enough.
Not awkward at all. Quite literal. 4680 production will not be a limiting factor to production ramp at Austin. If you ASSUME that all cars at Austin will be 4680 then yes, it is awkward wording but they have been quite open about having a backup plan for 2170s Austin and Berlin. And with the info from Kato Rd, if they want to produce anything more than 100 cars per week then they WILL be using 2170s. It is unlikely to ramp production of cells from 800 per day per machine to 82,000 per day per machine at the same rate the factory ramps production. Probably looking at close to 2 years for that capacity. And the car part of the factory will be ready within 12 months likely.

Reactions: advocate8
Really? People that ordered LRs in Decembre have already received them?

HIGHLY dependent upon config and recipient's location. When you buy, you are not placed in a single line. For example, it's well-known that people California will get deliveries typically far sooner than other states, since Tesla has less distance (and cost) to ship the car.

Cars are also built in batches by color (interior and exterior).

HIGHLY dependent upon config and recipient's location. When you buy, you are not placed in a single line. For example, it's well-known that people California will get deliveries typically far sooner than other states, since Tesla has less distance (and cost) to ship the car.

Cars are also built in batches by color (interior and exterior).
I don't think people in CA get their deliveries sooner than average. If someone gets moved up during EOQ push, someone else will probably get moved down early in the quarter to compensate for it.

Also, where are we seeing these MYLR December order deliveries? Teslike spreadsheets shows couple of Europe deliveries for December MYLR orders. And couple of US folks with order to VIN under a week, so I am guessing inventory orders. Other than that all December orders being delivered are MYP. Sure someone in an area with not too many deliveries can get lucky if someone else with their specific config cancels/rejects and they are next in line in that area. But getting delivery so far ahead of schedule is a rare exception rather than a rule.

Reactions: DrGriz
Cutting down on delivery times is the number one priority for any business. The model y now has competition from the ioniqs, polestars, mach e, etc. They absolutely will lose business if they don't cut down delivery times. The LR buyer might not care about a few $1000s more for MYP, but the ride quality, lesser mpg puts them off. I for one opted for the LR for a better ride and more miles per charge. So even when I had the option to get the MYP sooner, I didn't because of these reasons, not price.
Well put. Exactly why I chose the LR as well

Reactions: DrGriz and Rennei