Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by my local Tesla sales/service/delivery center today and was told by a SA that they have not yet received VINs for any inbound MYs that are coming from Austin.

I'm not surprised since certification is not complete but were they actually expecting them to come from Austin when deliveries start ? Eventually all of the east coast will come from Austin but there are going to be so few deliveries initially that I suspect only a few states will see any Austin vehicles until they ramp up.

The one thing I really want to hear about is the paint quality coming out of Austin. I've been pricing this stuff out and
I really hate the thought of putting up to $6k worth of PPF on a new car . Ceramic for dirt is one thing but never had to worry about paint. Hopefully they are using better paint which is not the soft crap coming out of Fremont. Its the one thing that could make me cancel . It would still be cheaper to cancel and reorder then then to keep whats coming and have to put PPF on it if the paint was that much better.
There is a zero percent chance that Austin is going to use different paint or clear coat from a different supplier than what is being used at Fremont.

Where you will hopefully see improvements is in reducing the number of defects that come out of the paint shop since it is brand new. My car has numerous fish eyes, a few paint runs (noticeable to me) and the interior areas when you open the doors, trunk, etc., are not properly painted. These are areas that could be improved in Austin production.

Tesla does not make paint and almost definitely is using the same paint suppliers that other North American automakers use. It is worth noting that auto paint in general is not as good as it was 15-20 years ago due to formulation changes required by environmental regulations.

If the paint is applied properly, the car is prepped and delivered properly, then all you should need to do is a light polish on the car and then seal it with something very hard and durable like ceramic coating and you should get very good enjoyment out of the paint for several years before the ceramic needs to be re-applied.

Reactions: schulty
He is making a statement, his friend works at giga texas but the "Still no 4680" could use some clarification.

Understood the statement was from his friend that works there. Was meaning that statement as trying to get clarification from his friend.

If the Y’s out of Austin are 2170, everyone can take their orders off hold now and stop rejecting Fremont Y’s. :p

Reactions: pcmike
Understood the statement was from his friend that works there. Was meaning that statement as trying to get clarification from his friend.

If the Y’s out of Austin are 2170, everyone can take their orders off hold now and stop rejecting Fremont Y’s. :p
There is no 2170 structural pack so if they were the same 2170 build as Fremont then they would already be selling cars

Interesting if 2170s are coming out of Austin, as it counters what was said on the Q4 earnings call by both Elon & his crew.

I suspect that people might still prefer an Model Y from Austin in the hope of better build quality from a newer factory.

Reactions: voip-ninja
There is no 2170 structural pack so if they were the same 2170 build as Fremont then they would already be selling cars
No, factory still needs certification and the cars coming out of it need to be certified as acceptable to the letter agencies. Just because you have one factory certified doesn’t mean you can build new factories and produce with no further certification required.

I just noticed that I've been moved to June-July. After the initial panic I realized it was just the normal monthy trade-in update. Normally I only get moved to June but this time I got a range which was odd . This happens every month when they revaluate my trade , they move me to the end of the line and ask for updated mileage. Then they lower the trade value a couple hundred ( even with the same mileage) then throw me back in line somewhere.

I guess if someone wants to place their car on hold without actually requesting a hold they can just not update their mileage on their tradein and they will remain at the end of the line for a while. Not sure how that will work long term or if they just remove your trade but its another option you can take without actually contacting anyone if you choose.

Another possible theory to add to the mix :)
Tesla normally upgrades the most expensive version first, but we see lots of MY LR with 19" tires in Texas. We also know that Tesla chose to use older/smaller batteries for their new Model S Plaid... Probably because bigger batteries can't provide enough sustained current required to achieve 0-60 performance numbers. This led me to think, what if new larger batteries have similar limitations? If this is true, then Austin will produce MY LR for some time before they either find a way to use 4680 cells in the Performance version or, at some point in the future, start to use new gigacast build with older 2170 cells.

It would be interesting to try that. I have a feeling that they would remove your trade or at least bug you about it. If you ignored their reminders, then what? Drop your order or change you to incomplete?
This was the reason my Profile was delayed two months. and the odd thing is that I have never been given a reminder . If you don't log in to your account you would never know . It tells you to manage your ouder in your tesla account under the date . Thats it. You have to log in to actually see that they want an odometer update.

Another possible theory to add to the mix :)
Tesla normally upgrades the most expensive version first, but we see lots of MY LR with 19" tires in Texas. We also know that Tesla chose to use older/smaller batteries for their new Model S Plaid... Probably because bigger batteries can't provide enough sustained current required to achieve 0-60 performance numbers. This led me to think, what if new larger batteries have similar limitations? If this is true, then Austin will produce MY LR for some time before they either find a way to use 4680 cells in the Performance version or, at some point in the future, start to use new gigacast build with older 2170 cells.

The smaller batteries in the Plaid are because they can pull more current and they can cool it faster, its harder to cool the 2170s as fast as they would need to. So they could use the 2170's in the S but then it would be like the Mach E where you get 5 seconds of performance mode before it has to limit things to cool off.

The 4680's don't gernerate as much heat but if you had to cool that battery it would not be an easy thing to control the core temperture of a big battery like that under sustained performance. This is why I am really interested to see what the 4680's can do in the MYP and MYLR.

Reactions: Msicario and DrGriz
This was the reason my Profile was delayed two months. and the odd thing is that I have never been given a reminder . If you don't log in to your account you would never know . It tells you to manage your ouder in your tesla account under the date . Thats it. You have to log in to actually see that they want an odometer update.
I remember your mentioning this. So as long as you are not updating they consider your profile incomplete. Presumably when you complete it once again, you get into the 6-9 month line at the back. But they do seem to want to fulfill orders at a given price within a limited time span. Would the system note that and cancel you? Interesting to think about.