Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Glass Roof TOO HOT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Model Y Long Range finally delivered at the end of March. I like the car a lot. It is a great car but the downside is the glass roof. Summer time is coming and it is getting hot! Did anyone tint their glass roof for a model Y? My tint shop was not willing to do it for me. It is a big surface area to tint inside the car. I live in San Francisco. It is not super hot but when I am parked in the sun, it is like almost 100 degrees inside. Sometimes the weather outside is only high 60’s. I just got the roof sunshade. It is helps a little. I believe adding tint to the glass would keep the car much cooler.

There are dozens of threads in this forum about roof tinting, and plenty of advice. A simple search of "roof tinting" or "Model Y roof tinting" would get you what you want to know.

FWIW, I tinted all windows except the glass roof as my tinter doesn't recommend it. He can still do it for $200, but I found a $50 roof shade works just as well in the hot south FL sun. I park my MY outside this past weekend for 4 hours under sunny conditions, and it was fairly cool when I got in.

It is not super hot but when I am parked in the sun, it is like almost 100 degrees inside.
Your options include:

Using the Tesla app to lower the windows shortly before driving or turn on the Climate Control for ~5 minutes to lower the cabin temperature to a comfortable temperature before driving.

Cabin Overheat Protection (COP), when enabled with the AC, is designed to keep the passenger cabin temperature at or below 105F for up to 12 hours after you park. COP with fan only, no AC, can help lower the cabin temperature (~120F in my experience), else the passenger cabin temperature could reach over 140F.

For short errands you can set the Climate Control to remain on after you park, exit the Tesla Model Y. The passenger cabin temperature will be maintained until you return.

I always try to park my Model Y in a covered parking garage.

Reactions: kozakurayuua
Geez, I was in SF for a few weeks one July. No way would I want the roof tinted, I wanted all the warmth I could get!
I don't live in SF so I can't speak about its summer weather, but my mother-in-law lives there and she said the high never gets above 65F in the summer. I'm sure there are warm days, but yeah, I would think the factory tint is plenty good for the city. Suburbs and the bay area in general may be a different matter.

Really good ceramic tint and a sunshade in the 4-5 months of heat here in Phoenix does the trick. I'm tall with my head not far from the glass. The combo makes it so I don't even notice any heat. Tint alone is nice, but the radiated heat from hot glass can still be felt on my head.

When it cools down, it take the sunscreen off and store it in the frunk.

I have my roof tinted in my MYP. 30% ceramic. It helps a little. The roof alone rejects heat well. Personally I think the 30% was a bit dark. Should have done 50%. I have ceramic all around. Windshield 50% Fronts 15% Rest is 5% and I love it.

My Tesla Model Y Long Range finally delivered at the end of March. I like the car a lot. It is a great car but the downside is the glass roof. Summer time is coming and it is getting hot! Did anyone tint their glass roof for a model Y? My tint shop was not willing to do it for me. It is a big surface area to tint inside the car. I live in San Francisco. It is not super hot but when I am parked in the sun, it is like almost 100 degrees inside. Sometimes the weather outside is only high 60’s. I just got the roof sunshade. It is helps a little. I believe adding tint to the glass would keep the car much cooler.
100 degrees is nothing. But buy a sunshade if you want it cooler. It will help just a little. I have a roof sunshade and liftgate sunshade in my Refresh S. Not for heat but to help cut noise. Cooler is a bonus. And if you really want to keep your car cool get a windshield reflector shade.

Reactions: cusetownusa
If you don't care to look up at the sky and are looking for a permanent solution, you can always have vinyl wrap on the outside of the glass roof. Either go body color or black.

Keith

Reactions: zoomer0056
Mine is also super hot. Too hot to touch actually. It’s 99 degrees outside right now here in Michigan, but this is a constant occurrence. Any time the car is in the sun the glass roof just radiates the heat and is often way too hot to touch.

this write up has really good information on the glass and what actually happens.

The bottom line is that tinting will do nothing other than make it less bright. The reality is that the glass roof is no different when it comes to heating up the car than other car roofs. The only thing that will legitimately help is ceramic coatings or a physical reflective shade. However, the roof itself getting warm is what makes the car heat up, not the light coming through it.

I also want to touch on the AC. I get why people are reluctant to run it because if battery drain, but it is by far the best solution for this problem. Once the car is cooled off, it doesn’t have to work nearly as hard to keep it cool. Even just letting the fans run to bring in outside air instead of letting it stagnate is better than most other options. Just try it yourself and see what kind of results you get.

Reactions: FlyerDude
I'll also point out, since you're new to the car, that in hot days here, the AC isn't very effective unless I manually go into the controls and touch the passenger vent to turn it on. Obviously, if you have a front seat passenger, you don't have to do this. By default, it will only turn on the vent for the driver's side of the vehicle; however, in triple digit heat, I find that it never gets to a comfortable temperature unless I manually go in an turn on the passenger side.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe
If you can't park underground for short periods, i.e. less than 15 minutes, when parked consider setting the Climate Control to Keep On.

Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) now has customizable temperature settings; 90F/95F/100F in addition to the original 105F upper cabin temperature threshold for COP. These temperature setting limits only apply to COP with AC.

For HVAC fan only COP the cabin temperature will rise above 105F but will probably rise to less than the 130F to 150F cabin temperature when parked in the sun without COP enabled.

The tint will do nothing in this case. The glass roof will get hot..it is actually hot itself...There have been tests already showing the tint on the roof is actually doing a very good job at blocking heat coming through the glass but when the glass itself is hot, this isn't doing much.
There have also been reports where roof tint is causing the roof on some to crack although mostly this is just speculation as to why.
What tint have you done so far? Have you also done the windshield (which is not legal in CA but a lot of people still do it) because that's just letting heat in...I live in SoCal and I don't have the roof tinted but my car will stay relatively cool as long as it isn't outside too long. Eventually no matter what, your car will get hot after time so you can always turn on overheat protection as stated by several others.

If you can't park underground for short periods, i.e. less than 15 minutes, when parked consider setting the Climate Control to Keep On.

Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) now has customizable temperature settings; 90F/95F/100F in addition to the original 105F upper cabin temperature threshold for COP. These temperature setting limits only apply to COP with AC.

For HVAC fan only COP the cabin temperature will rise above 105F but will probably rise to less than the 130F to 150F cabin temperature when parked in the sun without COP enabled.
I think I have mine set for 85 degrees for COP. Works like a charm.