Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't been driving too much since the corona virus, but I will be doing a road trip this weekend (300 miles and back). So the items that need me to be driving, we should compile a list so I can test them. But for this one, I am pretty sure I would have noticed on my small trip last weekend, I drove about 40 miles on the freeway at night.

Range, watts/mile please.

If at all possible I'm looking for rough dimensions of the hood and front bumper.
I'll most likely have to pick up the car and drive it a couple hours so I want to install some temporary plastic wrap for transport so I don't get any rock chips before I can properly get ppf installed.
Thanks

Note on ground clearance, I just measured my M3 (AWD) and MY (Perf) and I got mixed results.
  • MY at rear jack point: 6"
  • M3 at rear jack point: 5 3/8"
  • MY in center, beneath front door handle: 6 1/8"
  • M3 in center, beneath front door handle: 5 1/8"
My M3 is 18 months old, so perhaps there is a bit of sag. Both are wearing new tires.
Do the lifting points look like they will take the same lifting pucks as the model 3? Same diameter hole?

I noticed that the hatch open quite high,

- can the maximum height can be contolled like with the Model X?

- What is the height from the ground of the closing touch button?

- Can you close the hatch from the central display and using the App?

MYHatchCtrl.jpg

I noticed that the hatch open quite high,

- can the maximum height can be contolled like with the Model X?

- What is the height from the ground of the closing touch button?

- Can you close the hatch from the central display and using the App?

View attachment 523636

The height is adjustable and configuration is explained in the manual on page 18.

Not sure about the height, but at 5'10", I can stand under it and have to reach up to close it. However, it's not anything that my wife at 5'4" had issues with.

I will have to test the controls to close it later today.

@SilverSmith Do you by any chance have the roof rack for your Model 3? I'm hoping my model 3 rack will work on the Y, but expect that it won't... Can you confirm the mounting points on the Y roof are the same as the 3, and perhaps measure the distance between them (width of the roof)? I know the Y is slightly wider than the 3, but I'm curious if the roof is as well or if perhaps they managed to make the top of the vehicle the same so the rack would be interchangeable. (of course if it was, presumably they would have updated the Tesla online shop to say the rack was for both the 3 and the Y as they've done for the key fob...)

Reactions: Watts_Up
Hi - This may sound like a crazy question - I play a concert bass and it fits nicely in my current Prius. I place it on it's side and the neck extends onto the center console. It is 72 inches long and 26 inches across. I place it on it's side, so it is 26 inches high. (at about 4 inches in). This leaves me room for my amp and other stuff. Would this fit into my upcoming Y without laying on it's back? I can't seem to get detailed measurements from Tesla. Thanks!!!
Check out posts #67 and #69 in this thread

LOL, you guys sound excited as I am.

A - 45" - along top of second row seat.
B - 11.5" - width of the center seat, but note that the post is 2.5" and will cut into this space.
C - 44" - depth between the second row to back hatch along the ground.
D - 37" - wheel hub to wheel hub.
33" Top of second row seat to hatch back.
Notice also that there are a lot of curves, so don't expect a rectangle item to fit perfectly.View attachment 521767 View attachment 521768 View attachment 521769 View attachment 521770

Thanks so much for the dimensions. I have to tote my 3/4 concert bass which is 26" tall on its side. Did you happen to measure the height inside the rear closed hatch from the back maybe 4 to 6 inches in? It fits nicely in my Prius and on the side allows for my amp and other stuff next to it. Thanks!

Check out posts #67 and #69 in this thread
Here are the links to those threads (page 4)

@SilverSmith thank you for all your dedicated work, but I have some other questions:

I wonder if the sub woofer is now located inside the hatch, or still on the side of the trunk?
In particular, I didn't see any air duct to have the air circulating around the sub-woofer amplifier.

If I may, would you mind... to remove completely the carpet to show if there is a way to store a spare tire
flat or in one of the sub-trunk holes to lesser the impact of the space taken by a spare wheel.

Also, if you can measure the size of each sub-trunk holes when there is no carpet
and what material the sub-trunk holes are made of,
I hear that the boxes are made of plastic instead of metal like the Model 3.

Also, can you take a clear picture of the underneath opening for the location of the tow hitch?
If you remove the carpet, can you check all the wires inside the trunk to see if there is an unused plug
on the electrical harness that could be used to connect a trailer plug
(for the Model Y who might have a tow hitch option?).

Last edited: