Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MY this week with the hitch option. Was told by my delivery person the hitch didn’t come with the car and I had to schedule a service to install it. When I did, service said, remove the dust cover and your hitch is there and Eureka it was!! It is a very solid 2” receiver.

My only issue is this; the dust cover is really difficult to remove but when it is, the bumper cover looks like something is missing. On most of my cars with hitches, the trim area around the hitch is finished and the receiver is exposed all of the time. It is an SUV I don’t mind having the hitch showing. I think that Tesla should either make the dust cover easier to remove and reinstall or provide a trim piece to “dress” the opening so you can take the cover off and have the hitch exposed. It does seem if I leave the cover off street crud will collect in the area below the hitch as it doesn’t seem to have anywhere to go.

Yeah, I got my MY with Tow 3 weeks ago and the same thing... the delivery agent gave me a "WE OWE YOU" statement but when I got home I said- HEY, why do I have Tow Mode? Popped off the plate and there it was... and I've already used it for my bike rack- soon to really tow something.

I COMPLETELY AGREE with the aftermarket comments. In fact, the very day I popped off the cover I emailed Abstract Ocean with a suggestion for a cover that can be attached via the receiver, not the edges (like twist something in the middle to expand into the receiver) and they replied in under 24hrs with:
"Thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like a really good idea! I'm adding it to our board!"

So I'm hopeful they will come up with something. Right now we'll be using the bike rack a lot so I'll just leave it open (not to mention as a Model Y in NY with a tow hitch- its like a rainbow unicorn sighting when we park- always get a question from someone). Glad to talk about my MY- its a great car.

No the aux braking wiring plugs in in the front area under the dash. I've never used them but I understand the wiring location inside the car is normal. Down load the latest version of the MY Owners manual and there is info on towing.

Yeah, the details about the pins and where to connect the aux braking are in the MY Owner's Manual (yeah, I'm a geek and read the whole thing).

What bug me is why there is a special cut on the right hedges of the trap door?

May be this could be the location of a plug for an auxiliary braking mechanism?

View attachment 558921

My Bet is there is an attachment coming from Tesla- Maybe a tow rack for storage that is wider than the receiver... Maybe a Car Tent for Camp Mode... just pop it up with the hatch open? We got this and can't wait to try it...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O74Z0G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We figured you need a place to stand up and change... to cook some food (like the screen room) while we camp at an RV site... That's the hope!

Maybe someone who has a patron account with Sandy Munro should ask if he has an idea?

Yeah, I got my MY with Tow 3 weeks ago and the same thing... the delivery agent gave me a "WE OWE YOU" statement but when I got home I said- HEY, why do I have Tow Mode? Popped off the plate and there it was... and I've already used it for my bike rack- soon to really tow something.

I COMPLETELY AGREE with the aftermarket comments. In fact, the very day I popped off the cover I emailed Abstract Ocean with a suggestion for a cover that can be attached via the receiver, not the edges (like twist something in the middle to expand into the receiver) and they replied in under 24hrs with:
"Thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like a really good idea! I'm adding it to our board!"

So I'm hopeful they will come up with something. Right now we'll be using the bike rack a lot so I'll just leave it open (not to mention as a Model Y in NY with a tow hitch- its like a rainbow unicorn sighting when we park- always get a question from someone). Glad to talk about my MY- its a great car.

I'll contact Abstract Ocean as well and let them know there is more than one of us interested.

Reactions: Electric Steve
As I already posted, an aftermarket solution to the terribly designed cover plate would be great, although I’m confused about how something that entirely covers the opening could be attached to the receiver. I was thinking something with a release mechanism that just covers the opening, but catches inside. In any event, sign me up for a purchase as almost anything would be an improvement...

As I already posted, an aftermarket solution to the terribly designed cover plate would be great, although I’m confused about how something that entirely covers the opening could be attached to the receiver. I was thinking something with a release mechanism that just covers the opening, but catches inside. In any event, sign me up for a purchase as almost anything would be an improvement...

One of the after market hitch companies came up with a magnetic part that attaches to the back of the dust cover that has a handle on the outside. It kind of looks lousy. 2020 Tesla Model Y Tow Hitch - Invisi EcoHitch design

I was thinking of attaching some sort of drawer pull attached through the cover to a rubber plug that goes into the receiver. I've been using a Reese rubber receiver cover for years on previous hitches and it stays in fine. I hate to have anything mess up the clean look I have now. For now I will just fight with the cover until all of the mounting clips are gone and then I will have to take matters into my own hands.

Fyi here are a couple of pics of the cover so you can see the various catches on it ...
IMG_1098.jpeg
IMG_1097.jpeg

I just ordered a pair. When I get them will be the first time I try and take the cover off. No reason to do it sooner in my situation since I haven't purchased a bike rack yet.
Model Y Hitch Cover Removal Tools | LivingTesla

Hitch Cover is Kind of a Pain to Remove
For those of us who have a 3D printer, you can download the print file from the link below. Once I get home, I’m going to print them using a carbon fiber filament.

Tesla Model Y Hitch Cover Removal Tools by LIVINGTESLA

Reactions: EveryAmp