Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - let the Photoshopping begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about a tiny city Tesla car with two sliding doors:

peugeot-1007-1_4105062.jpg

I came across this image on Connect

This looks like a very nice and very realistic design if you compare with the covered clay model below. I hope the model Y does look like this and reservation holders for model 3 will be allowed to swap to a model Y reservation with about 1 extra year of wait time and hopefully less than $5000 difference in price. (The model Y in the photo should be half of the right most clay model)
image.jpeg

image.png

I came across this image on Connect

This looks like a very nice and very realistic design if you compare with the covered clay model below. I hope the model Y does look like this and reservation holders for model 3 will be allowed to swap to a model Y reservation with about 1 extra year of wait time and hopefully less than $5000 difference in price. (The model Y in the photo should be half of the right most clay model)
View attachment 188949

View attachment 188950
That car is damn sexy. I would buy and ride that thing; all night long. (sorry about the bad pun)

I think this could sell. If Fiat can sell its 500 in the US then this should have no problem selling.

Don't know what area you live in, but the Fiat dealer around the block still has new 2015s on the lot. The 2016s are discounted 20-25% off list and still not moving.

I'm still hoping for something more like our Kia Spectra5. Four door (conventional ones), hatch back, rear seat folds down. No falcon doors, no freaking glass roof!!!!

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
Went back thru some of the Model 3 design threads and discovered that there was a pretty good view at the clay model for the 3 well before the unveil.

Which brought me back to these photos from the July 2015 60 Minutes AU piece.

Tesla-Model-X-clay-model_large.jpg
Clay-Models-Tesla_large.png

Are we fairly confident this is the clay mockup of the Model Y? Obviously the Model X had been unveiled years before, and there looks to be enough differences that we can distinguish this from the rear-end of a Model 3.

Have we had a half reveal already?

Reactions: Dr Doom
Went back thru some of the Model 3 design threads and discovered that there was a pretty good view at the clay model for the 3 well before the unveil.

Are we fairly confident this is the clay mockup of the Model Y? Obviously the Model X had been unveiled years before, and there looks to be enough differences that we can distinguish this from the rear-end of a Model 3.

Look where the black cover comes down the side in both pics. Looks to be where a B pillar would be. There is only enough room for front doors on that clay model. It's also fairly short, as the roof line is at shoulder height. Looks like it's a two door hatch to me.

I believe that partially revealed one was concluded to be (possibly a 2/3 sized) clay model of Model X. Remember: in the summer of 2015 we had not yet seen the final production Model X. The announcement Model X we had seen in 2012 was very different from the production one this clay model represents, so there was reason to keep it secret and indeed it was kept mostly secret until launch day in September 2015.

In the lower image, on the right, it was assumed that the second from right car may have features two different potential Model 3 or Model Y designs in the same model, you can see how it is higher on one side than the other.

I believe that partially revealed one was concluded to be (possibly a 2/3 sized) clay model of Model X. Remember: in the summer of 2015 we had not yet seen the final production Model X. The announcement Model X we had seen in 2012 was very different from the production one this clay model represents, so there was reason to keep it secret and indeed it was kept mostly secret until launch day in September 2015.

In the lower image, on the right, it was assumed that the second from right car may have features two different potential Model 3 or Model Y designs in the same model, you can see how it is higher on one side than the other.
It's definitely the X styling. I still think that even if it's a 2/3 size, there is not enough room between the back wheel and the downward slop of the windshield for the back door, at least as it sits on a Model X. Maybe I'm wrong and perspective is messing with me, but that looks like a much shorter cabin area. I even tried overlaying a pic of the X from the same angle over it and the cabin is longer. Perhaps because it's a smaller CUV on the 3 platform rather than the S platform? Guess only they know.

It's definitely the X styling. I still think that even if it's a 2/3 size, there is not enough room between the back wheel and the downward slop of the windshield for the back door, at least as it sits on a Model X. Maybe I'm wrong and perspective is messing with me, but that looks like a much shorter cabin area. I even tried overlaying a pic of the X from the same angle over it and the cabin is longer. Perhaps because it's a smaller CUV on the 3 platform rather than the S platform? Guess only they know.

Consider the timing, though. This was July 2015, a couple of months before Model X production unveil/release, at a time when scantily camoed Model X production mules were roaming the streets. This was before even Model 3 had been seen at all.

What are the chances they would have showed a sneak peek of Model Y... especially one that looks very much like the Model X they were testing/soon launching at the time? The simplest answer is that was a Model X, perhaps in smaller scale, possibly slightly earlier or imprecise iteration, but a Model X. Suddenly showing Model Y for television in July 2015 just makes no sense... before Model 3 even?

Model 3 and possibly Model Y designs (the car with two different designs on its sides) were seen on the far right of the room, though, under wraps.