Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE:

Yesterday I called my service center and spoke with "my" technician (yeah, now I have someone to talk to directly!) and asked him how to file a claim about my issue. He said there's not a "claims department" but he could file a case for me. We defined all details and he submitted it to Tesla. He also asked me to make a new video explaining the problem. We'll see what all this will sort out!

In the meantime, if anyone else owning a Model Y has this problem, please, post either here or on this thread:

Thanks!

UPDATE:

My technician called the past week and told me that he's waiting for a special device to come over to my place to take some measurements of the noise and the whole issue. He said that Telsa asked him to take those measurements (hopefully they are taking the issue seriously!)

As soon as he's coming here, I'll post an additional update.

UPDATE:

The technician came today and measured the level of sound in dBs. He connected a laptop to the car and made the pumps run at max speed. The noise was terribly loud. He took measurements outside, near the pumps in the frunk, and inside. Then he said that Tesla will get in touch with me after they will review the measurements.

At this point, I can just wait and hope they'll make the right decision to replace the defective components. I'll give an update as soon as I hear something from Tesla.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
UPDATE:

Ok, my technician from Tesla called and gave me the bad news: the Telsa engineering team that took care of my open ticket said that according to the taken measurements everything is in the normal range and therefore there's nothing wrong with my car.

Bummer. I spent 30 minutes talking with him trying to understand how they could say that, but he couldn't help any further. I also requested the data showing proof of their claim, and he said that that's not possible to provide (bummer again!)

I am quite, quite disappointed. My only option at this point is to hope that more people are going to complain about this issue, but I see, so far, I am one of the few ones.

Another idea I have is to monitor all Model Ys around me or the ones available for a test drive at Tesla (new ones only though) that don't have this problem, then contact my technician again asking him to check if the newer Model Ys have anything different in their system that would prevent this noise to happen. In case, I am willing to pay to have those pumps or anything is causing this damn noise to be replaced!

If you have more ideas, please, let me know. Thank you.

UPDATE:

I plan to make a petition about this issue to submit to Tesla and other organizations. I am getting 1-2 contacts a day about this issue on my website modelyissue.com, so, please, if you have this problem, visit my website below:

And submit your name to the list! I'll make sure to keep you posted about it.

A lot of people from around the world are having this issue which seems to be really massive!

Thank you for your support! :)

UPDATE:

I plan to make a petition about this issue to submit to Tesla and other organizations. I am getting 1-2 contacts a day about this issue on my website modelyissue.com, so, please, if you have this problem, visit my website below:

And submit your name to the list! I'll make sure to keep you posted about it.

A lot of people from around the world are having this issue which seems to be really massive!

Thank you for your support! :)
Dude, the car makes noise. It’s normal! Get used to it. Enjoy your car and stop stressing about the heat pump! My MY does the same thing.. all day long I hear it.

Dude, the car makes noise. It’s normal! Get used to it. Enjoy your car and stop stressing about the heat pump! My MY does the same thing.. all day long I hear it.

I am sorry dear friend, but you haven't understood what we are talking about here. First of all, it is not the heat pump. Second, watch the video I made here and learn more about it:

And please, stop saying that's normal. It may be considered "normal" on the newest cars because they all have been made with this issue, but it is not normal for a long time Tesla owner like myself that has always driven quiet Tesla cars. Again: If you have driven just the latest Model 3s or Model Ys with this noise issue, you may think that it is normal, but it is not. And if that's the case, you have no idea what you are missing from your Tesla driving experience.

So, please, just stop saying that it is normal. It is NOT.

Reactions: Deutsch100
My MYLR makes a similar noise, but is much much less noticeable.
In fact, I never heard it until I intentionally listened for it after watching your video.
Hopefully I will be able to unhear it again.

I am very sorry to have you made noticing it. It is my understanding that some cars have less noise while others have more. A guy just contacted me through modelyissue.com today and told me that his Model Y Performance is making such a loud noise that it's driving him crazy. He's leasing it and he's trying to swap it with a different Model Y. Good luck with that.

May I ask you when did you have delivery of your Model Y?

In any case, I think this issue should be taken more seriously by anyone, even by people that think it is not such a BIG issue. If you think about it, what you think is not a problem, it may be for someone else. And so, if you have bought your Model Y or Model 3 recently and have this problem, think about the time you want to resell your car. And think about the possibility that in 6-9 months Tesla changes its production again and put back quiet pumps. You'll end up having a car with this kind of "defect" and I bet we all will have a hard time reselling our cars 5-10 years from now. Anyone will come up saying "What year was your car produced? Spring-Summer 2021? Oh, I see, so it's one of those "noisy" Model Ys.... well, no thanks."

I said it all ;)

I am sorry dear friend, but you haven't understood what we are talking about here. First of all, it is not the heat pump. Second, watch the video I made here and learn more about it:

And please, stop saying that's normal. It may be considered "normal" on the newest cars because they all have been made with this issue, but it is not normal for a long time Tesla owner like myself that has always driven quiet Tesla cars. Again: If you have driven just the latest Model 3s or Model Ys with this noise issue, you may think that it is normal, but it is not. And if that's the case, you have no idea what you are missing from your Tesla driving experience.

So, please, just stop saying that it is normal. It is NOT.
Have you considered that the Model Y and Model 3 are “cheaper” variants of Tesla’s product range. The octovalve is indeed noisy, however.. the Model 3 makes this same noise even with the older “super bottle” versions.
Simply put, the Model Y and Model 3 are not in the same tier as your previous Tesla’s. They are very much a cheaper product. We as consumers get what we pay for. It’s really simple. $100,000 cars are engineered to a higher standard than $40,000-$60,000 cars.
Sorry buddy, but I think you’re fighting a loosing battle. I’m not trying to pour salt in your wound but moreover trying to get you to be more reasonable about the “issue”.
For what it’s worth, I have not owned any Tesla’s other than my MY, but my wife, brother, and many friends have Model S and Model X’s. There is a noticeable difference in overall quality when comparing these two tiers. Your basically expecting an Audi S3 to sound, ride, and perform like an RS7!
Try not to let this little noise issue ruin your life! Just enjoy the car!
According to Tesla it’s normal. You’ll pull your hair out before you get any traction on this. Or, just get a new Model S so that your expectations are more aligned with your actual experience.
Sorry that you are having a rough time with this.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Have you considered that the Model Y and Model 3 are “cheaper” variants of Tesla’s product range. The octovalve is indeed noisy, however.. the Model 3 makes this same noise even with the older “super bottle” versions.
Simply put, the Model Y and Model 3 are not in the same tier as your previous Tesla’s. They are very much a cheaper product. We as consumers get what we pay for. It’s really simple. $100,000 cars are engineered to a higher standard than $40,000-$60,000 cars.
Sorry buddy, but I think you’re fighting a loosing battle. I’m not trying to pour salt in your wound but moreover trying to get you to be more reasonable about the “issue”.
For what it’s worth, I have not owned any Tesla’s other than my MY, but my wife, brother, and many friends have Model S and Model X’s. There is a noticeable difference in overall quality when comparing these two tiers. Your basically expecting an Audi S3 to sound, ride, and perform like an RS7!
According to Tesla it’s normal. You’ll pull your hair out before you get any traction on this. Or, just get a new Model S so that your expectations are more aligned with your actual experience.

I am sorry, but you are wrong. Again, you haven't watched my video carefully and/or you haven't read this thread carefully as well.

I'll repeat it again (hopefully for the last time): I own a 2019 Model 3 and it is completely quiet compared to this new Model Y of mine. Also, as I have stated multiple times around this thread and in my videos, I compared my new Model Y to previous Model Ys, and the difference is exactly like the difference between my new Model Y and my 2019 Model 3. The first is noisy, the latter is quiet.

Also, for your knowledge, I have driven Model Ss and Model Xs before, and they have a noise loudness comparable to my 2019 Model 3 or previously produced Model Ys. So.... please, again, stop saying that this is NOT a problem or that the noise is like all other Model 3s or Model Ys. If this issue weren't a real problem, I wouldn't have spent hours and hours making research, complaining about it, creating a website about it, and keeping up with discussions around the web like this one. It is almost a part-time job. And to be sincere, being a super-tesla-fan since its inception, I am more concerned with overall Tesla quality and its reputation than my own car making noise.

I keep receiving complaints from people around the world daily about this issue affecting their new cars. They all repeat the same exact story: they compared their new Model Ys or Model 3s with previous ones, the newer cars are noisy, the older ones aren't. As I said, this is such a big issue that some people are going to resell their car for something else! Other people want to stop their lease. This is a serious issue, and until we all don't take it as such, nothing is going to make Tesla understand it and do something about it. A guy the other day told me that he got a leased Model Y performance a few weeks ago. He's thinking to close the lease before its term to switch to a Porsche Taycan instead. The reason? The damn noise that drives him crazy.

Just a question for you: When did you have delivery of your Model Y? Is it a 2021 Model Y?

Thanks.

Have a look at what this guy wrote here:

He found his Model Y being louder than his V8 Range Rover and our Land Rover Defender! Of course, he meant from inside the cabin, which is REALLY bad! And that's where the problem is more apparent and more annoying.

As I wrote already, some people have a softer noise, and other people have a louder noise. I say it again: when I compared my Model Y to another new Model Y, the other model Y was much, much louder than mine! And I thought to myself "Well, I am still lucky! This guy must be insane for this noise!"

Just to confirm that this is a big issue that shouldn't be overlooked.

From reading thru the tread again it seems you think it is the water pumps by the octovalve? If you think this is it, why not have Tesla replace the pumps (even if you foot the bill) to indeed see if this solves the problem. If it does you might be able to get Tesla to take apart the bad pumps and see if they are defective. Seems like this would be a scientific way to solve the issue versus trying to get a petition to send to Tesla. I really don’t think they will listen to it personally. I could be totally wrong though. Just my thought process.

Reactions: iamnid
From reading thru the tread again it seems you think it is the water pumps by the octovalve? If you think this is it, why not have Tesla replace the pumps (even if you foot the bill) to indeed see if this solves the problem. If it does you might be able to get Tesla to take apart the bad pumps and see if they are defective. Seems like this would be a scientific way to solve the issue versus trying to get a petition to send to Tesla. I really don’t think they will listen to it personally. I could be totally wrong though. Just my thought process.

Good point... first of all, it is a noise coming from the water pumps. That's a fact I can confirm and that has been confirmed by my Tesla technician (the guy who took care of me for a month, poor man!)

Second, I asked him if I could replace them, even by paying out of my pocket (even though I am still in warranty!), and he discouraged me from doing that because he said that I could end up getting the same exact pumps with the same problem. And at that moment he suggested that may be lower-quality components that Tesla will replace farther ahead.

My plan is actually to wait until Tesla realizes that this is a real issue that must be addressed quickly, or in any case until Tesla puts back in production the old quiet pumps (or replace the current ones with new quiet pumps). Then, and only then, I'll ask to replace them, no matter if my car is still on warranty or not. If that won't happen before my warranty is expired, and I see no hopes in having Tesla replacing my pumps, I'll look to third-party suppliers and I'll replace them myself.

But in the short term, I say it again, I am afraid Tesla will be just judged badly because of this "quality" problem and its reputation will suffer as a consequence. Thousands of new Tesla owners suffering from this stupid noise created by a stupid water pump! That's just crazy! The other day a guy from Portugal reported the same exact problem on his new Model Y. This problem is global.

I love Tesla and I want it to keep being the best car on the planet. I feel the pain for all this. That's why I'd like to start a petition, I don't see any way out of it. I could have easily avoided all this process if just the Tesla service (and their "Engineering Team") had taken this issue seriously, or if Tesla had a "claims" department or a similar office where customers could report issues to. But unfortunately, they left me no other choice than start a petition to grab their attention on this problem. And maybe that won't make any difference anyway... it will all depend on how many people will participate in the petition. I am sure that if we had thousands of people complaining, they could be interested in tackling the problem. Less than that, I am not that sure.

• Love
Just a question for you: When did you have delivery of your Model Y? Is it a 2021 Model Y?

Thanks.
2021 MY. Got it 5-6 months ago. Vin: 160xxx
My water/coolant pumps don’t make the noise that you have in your video.

i think you should contact a lawyer. Let them handle this.. so you can get on with your life bro! You’re clearly overwhelmed with this. It’s not fair that you have to deal with this.

Reactions: fablau
2021 MY. Got it 5-6 months ago. Vin: 160xxx
My water/coolant pumps don’t make the noise that you have in your video.

i think you should contact a lawyer. Let them handle this.. so you can get on with your life bro! You’re clearly overwhelmed with this. It’s not fair that you have to deal with this.

Thank you Alex!

Yes, that's something else I thought about. But since I see many other people having the same problem (it is my understanding all new cars are now made with those pumps, which is terrible!), I think something bigger and "collective" should be made to let Tesla know about it. ;)