Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I tweet to him about this issue 5-10 times a day. Ignored so far... go figure!! LOL!!
That’s right.. we’ve already discussed this. I forgot lol. Well, in this case maybe no news from him is good news - in that he doesn’t want to acknowledge it until he has all of i’s dotted and t’s crossed. They just announced that autopilot will now brake for emergency vehicles. This issue has been directly tweeted to him by thousands for months without him saying a single word back. Now, bamn.. 2021.24.12 has it included.

Reactions: fablau
That’s right.. we’ve already discussed this. I forgot lol. Well, in this case maybe no news from him is good news - in that he doesn’t want to acknowledge it until he has all of i’s dotted and t’s crossed. They just announced that autopilot will now brake for emergency vehicles. This issue has been directly tweeted to him by thousands for months without him saying a single word back. Now, bamn.. 2021.24.12 has it included.

I have no idea if he actually read my tweets... I really hope so. Now I have stopped to just tweet to him. Instead, I am trying to jump on a conversation he's starting right away to catch his attention. by replying to him. I see most people are able to grab his attention that way. But the timing is everything there, so... wish me good luck! ;)

It's included because they're being investigated by a federal agency for Tesla's slamming into parked emergency vehicles. Not because people like you tweet him 20 times a day.

tesla customer having trouble getting tesla to listen and take his complaint seriously.

tesla customer resorts to have to play stupid tweet games just to get some kind of customer service.

car costs upwards of $50k.

tell me, guys: anyone see anything WRONG with this picture?

if anyone asks me why I wont buy another tesla, or why I talk EVERYONE out of buying one, I can point them to things like this.

"have to tweet, in the right way, TO THE CEO, to get service"

yeah, I want no part of tesla ever again. when my 4 years is up, the car will be sold and I'll never look back. my m3 has been ok, but I refuse to play these games should I need service in the future.

sorry for the OP's trouble. if it was me, I'd dump the Y and be done with it. the design is flawed and the service center refused to ACK it.

you have way more patience than me, sir.

tesla customer having trouble getting tesla to listen and take his complaint seriously.

tesla customer resorts to have to play stupid tweet games just to get some kind of customer service.

car costs upwards of $50k.

tell me, guys: anyone see anything WRONG with this picture?

if anyone asks me why I wont buy another tesla, or why I talk EVERYONE out of buying one, I can point them to things like this.

"have to tweet, in the right way, TO THE CEO, to get service"

yeah, I want no part of tesla ever again. when my 4 years is up, the car will be sold and I'll never look back. my m3 has been ok, but I refuse to play these games should I need service in the future.

sorry for the OP's trouble. if it was me, I'd dump the Y and be done with it. the design is flawed and the service center refused to ACK it.

you have way more patience than me, sir.
I agree Tesla should do more and be better. All carmakers have their issues and have denied issues with their cars. i.e. Toyota covering up an issue with their cars accelerating uncontrollably. Whatever carmaker you buy from next won't necessarily be better.

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau
its clear, that 100% of the rest of them do NOT have a 'app-only' policy for contacting THE SERVICE CENTER.

I think most of us can now declare that experiement to be a 100% failure. bring back regular email and phones. what a concept, wow.

I'd rather stand there and argue at a dealership than try my luck with 'tweeting the ceo'.

I hate dealerships but, while they are annoying, the model at least works, more or less. the tesla model is a failure. the sooner they admit it, the sooner they can fix the problem. deny that there is a problem? say goodbye to your customers (the ones that are not hardcore fanboys).

I agree Tesla should do more and be better. All carmakers have their issues and have denied issues with their cars. i.e. Toyota covering up an issue with their cars accelerating uncontrollably. Whatever carmaker you buy from next won't necessarily be better.
the other problem is that tesla does not keep enough parts on hand and you are mostly stuck with tesla doing most technical work on your car. there are not a lot of other options, even body shops often wont want to deal with tesla cars.

no other mainstream car vendor has this kind of problem (do you know of any?). they all have parts issues, but the 'just in time' nonsense that tesla follows is to an extreme. I've never waited very long for windshield replacements or other common items.

tesla shows all the signs of being a disorganized newcomer, and yet they've been around a decade. does not bode well unless they straighten up.

its clear, that 100% of the rest of them do NOT have a 'app-only' policy for contacting THE SERVICE CENTER.

I think most of us can now declare that experiement to be a 100% failure. bring back regular email and phones. what a concept, wow.

I'd rather stand there and argue at a dealership than try my luck with 'tweeting the ceo'.

I hate dealerships but, while they are annoying, the model at least works, more or less. the tesla model is a failure. the sooner they admit it, the sooner they can fix the problem. deny that there is a problem? say goodbye to your customers (the ones that are not hardcore fanboys).
The other carmakers that survive this electric transition will be the ones that copy Tesla's model. Definitely not what you want to hear but the dealerships will just become service centers and the customer service staff will be cut drastically. Just like Tesla. Electric cars have a smaller profit margin and have less parts that break. Which means less money to be made in the long run at these dealerships.

its quite acceptable that while you are starting out as a company, you dont have a collection of service centers already set and ready to go. so in the first few years, I would have given tesla a lot of slack and breaks.

but now? really? they have had enough time to build up the service infra and standardize on parts. and they choose to make it hard for customers to dialog with them. its an avoidance strategy and it will wear thin, trust me on that ;)

this model is broken by design and wont last long-term. time will tell, but I doubt we'll see the other vendors convert to this from their existing model. the new guys will follow this model at first (due to startup limitations) but the smart ones will not hide behind an app, afraid to even interact with THE CUSTOMERS.

its quite acceptable that while you are starting out as a company, you dont have a collection of service centers already set and ready to go. so in the first few years, I would have given tesla a lot of slack and breaks.

but now? really? they have had enough time to build up the service infra and standardize on parts. and they choose to make it hard for customers to dialog with them. its an avoidance strategy and it will wear thin, trust me on that ;)

this model is broken by design and wont last long-term. time will tell, but I doubt we'll see the other vendors convert to this from their existing model. the new guys will follow this model at first (due to startup limitations) but the smart ones will not hide behind an app, afraid to even interact with THE CUSTOMERS.
Trust me, I hope you're right. I'm not a huge fan of the app only model. It's just how I see the car market going. Like you said, time will tell.

Yes, guys, I agree with you 100%. And that's why I ended up doing what I am doing. My action here is an act of "desperation."

Tesla has no claim office. Tesla has no customer relations office. Tesla has no way to allow its customers to directly report issues, etc, if not through their service centers that act as an "impenetrable wall" for issues like these. They have no phone numbers you can call and talk directly to a human being.

It's hard, really hard. And it is absolutely absurd trying to catch Elon Musks' attention via tweet attack. It's absurd.

Reactions: linux-works
UPDATE:

I have bad news and good news for you guys.

The bad news is that one of the people who reported this issue (and it is in these forums with the nickname @Deutsch100) has just told me that he just exchanged his leased Model Y with a BMW. He said he could not bear the noise anymore. And I perfectly understand him. This is what’s happening around the world folks if Tesla doesn’t tackle this problem soon. @Deutsch100 is probably going to comment on these pages himself soon ;)

The good news is about a guy who reported having the same issue from South Korea via my website, and he told me that several people there have complained about it at their Tesla Service Centers, and they got the problem fixed! I am still in the process to understand how they exactly fixed the problem (pump replacement? Or did they replace any other component?). But this is great news. This guy is also taking his Model Y to his service center next week and will ask to fix it as well. I’ll make sure to keep you posted on this new positive development. By the way, he sent me this video of his Model Y which gives you a very good idea of the noise his car is making:

New video by chino papa

His car’s noise is even worse than mine.

Reactions: ZzzzZ
"Continuous," huh?

Also make sure the noise doesn't stop unless you close all doors and leave your car alone for at least 5-10 minutes (it can take up to 30 minutes for the noise to stop).

A pump running for a few minutes while the car is in "ready" mode doesn't strike me as a very big deal. Even ICE cars have HPFP priming, radiator fans, turbocharger cooling, etc., etc. that run while the car is off. Do you have any reason to think this means the car is not working properly, or is at risk of long term issues?

"Continuous," huh?

A pump running for a few minutes while the car is in "ready" mode doesn't strike me as a very big deal. Even ICE cars have HPFP priming, radiator fans, turbocharger cooling, etc., etc. that run while the car is off. Do you have any reason to think this means the car is not working properly, or is at risk of long term issues?

No, it is just a pain in the butt. The noise is unbearable for me. It ruins the whole driving experience. Imagine driving with a continuous noise of a lawn mower in front of you. That's what I am experiencing.

Having owned and driven other Teslas in the past and currently owning a 2019 Model 3, I know how quiet they can (and should) be. So, it is just painful.

I picked up new MYP today, and noticed it right away as i have another 2021 MY that doesn't make this noise at all. It gets so loud right after normal acceleration and normal cruising at any speed, and ridiculously loud if you accelerate hard... This is not the tesla i was expecting, this is seriously going to make me sell the car right away as i don't think i can drive it even for a few weeks.. can more people post if you're ALL taking deliveries with newest vins and same issue? or is it only SOME Vins?