Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

ScoobyDoo82

Mar 22, 2021
Los Angeles (818)
2021 MY. Got it 5-6 months ago. Vin: 160xxx
My water/coolant pumps don’t make the noise that you have in your video.
Thank you Alex!

Yes, that's something else I thought about. But since I see many other people having the same problem (it is my understanding all new cars are now made with those pumps, which is terrible!), I think something bigger and "collective" should be made to let Tesla know about it. ;)
I wonder if all of this maybe due to Covid and the global parts/semiconductor shortage. Tesla has been known to do some strange things over the past year. The whole concept of the missing passenger lumbar support for Tesla’s produced over the past 3 months is a good example.
Hopefully this is just a temporary thing and Telsa makes a change. I love my MY, but hate how Tesla treats their customers - reminds me of AOL during their height of popularity during the mid-late 90’s. Unfortunately, things usually need to get worse before they get better. Tesla’s growth is like AOL back then. Growing faster than they can contain and as a result, shortcuts are made.

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
All model 3s and Ys do this in some form. I can hear that pump on my 2020 model 3 as well. As soon as the car is awake, it circulates the coolant continuously. The pump speed will vary depending on the cooling or heating needs of the battery. You don't need to wait 30min and then open a door. Waiting 30 minutes is hoping the car falls asleep, and you are waking it up by opening a door.
Maybe your pump is noisier than others, I can't tell. Maybe 2021s with heat pumps have that coolant pump mounted in a different location than 2020s and it makes the sound more easy to hear. Ultimately, there is no way around it, the system is built around the concept that this pump is continuously running. They cannot shut it off as far as I know.

Reactions: fablau

fablau

Feb 25, 2016
Laguna Niguel, CA
I wonder if all of this maybe due to Covid and the global parts/semiconductor shortage. Tesla has been known to do some strange things over the past year. The whole concept of the missing passenger lumbar support for Tesla’s produced over the past 3 months is a good example.
Hopefully this is just a temporary thing and Telsa makes a change. I love my MY, but hate how Tesla treats their customers - reminds me of AOL during their height of popularity during the mid-late 90’s. Unfortunately, things usually need to get worse before they get better. Tesla’s growth is like AOL back then. Growing faster than they can contain and as a result, shortcuts are made.

Yes, I think this issue is related to COVID shortages anywhere in the world. But quality shouldn't suffer from it!

Unfortunately, I also had very bad experiences with Tesla customer support for the past 6 years. And I guess you are right: "things usually need to get worse before they get better."!

fablau

Feb 25, 2016
Laguna Niguel, CA
All model 3s and Ys do this in some form. I can hear that pump on my 2020 model 3 as well. As soon as the car is awake, it circulates the coolant continuously. The pump speed will vary depending on the cooling or heating needs of the battery. You don't need to wait 30min and then open a door. Waiting 30 minutes is hoping the car falls asleep, and you are waking it up by opening a door.
Maybe your pump is noisier than others, I can't tell. Maybe 2021s with heat pumps have that coolant pump mounted in a different location than 2020s and it makes the sound more easy to hear. Ultimately, there is no way around it, the system is built around the concept that this pump is continuously running. They cannot shut it off as far as I know.

Yes, that's right, I can confirm that. My 2019 Model 3 behaves like that and so my previous Model S and the Model X I had for 3 months because of an accident. But they never made that damn loud noise.

And from my understanding, all Model Ys are made with the same cooling system. The only difference between the older-quiet Model Ys and the new ones is the noisy water pumps. So... let's replace those damn pumps or whatever makes that damn noise attached to them (bearing? impeller? Something else?)

fablau

Feb 25, 2016
Laguna Niguel, CA
Hey guys, our "story" went mainstream, my friends Zac And Jesse of the Now You Know YT channel (highly recommended!) just included an excerpt of my video on their show:

And they feel my pain... but they don't know the whole story! Which is that I am not the only one having this problem!!

I'll let them know because I sent them the video 2 weeks ago, and a lot happened in the past two weeks (a lot of people got back to me having the same issue!)

The fight has just started ;)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC