Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 MY. Got it 5-6 months ago. Vin: 160xxx
My water/coolant pumps don’t make the noise that you have in your video.
Thank you Alex!

Yes, that's something else I thought about. But since I see many other people having the same problem (it is my understanding all new cars are now made with those pumps, which is terrible!), I think something bigger and "collective" should be made to let Tesla know about it. ;)
I wonder if all of this maybe due to Covid and the global parts/semiconductor shortage. Tesla has been known to do some strange things over the past year. The whole concept of the missing passenger lumbar support for Tesla’s produced over the past 3 months is a good example.
Hopefully this is just a temporary thing and Telsa makes a change. I love my MY, but hate how Tesla treats their customers - reminds me of AOL during their height of popularity during the mid-late 90’s. Unfortunately, things usually need to get worse before they get better. Tesla’s growth is like AOL back then. Growing faster than they can contain and as a result, shortcuts are made.

All model 3s and Ys do this in some form. I can hear that pump on my 2020 model 3 as well. As soon as the car is awake, it circulates the coolant continuously. The pump speed will vary depending on the cooling or heating needs of the battery. You don't need to wait 30min and then open a door. Waiting 30 minutes is hoping the car falls asleep, and you are waking it up by opening a door.
Maybe your pump is noisier than others, I can't tell. Maybe 2021s with heat pumps have that coolant pump mounted in a different location than 2020s and it makes the sound more easy to hear. Ultimately, there is no way around it, the system is built around the concept that this pump is continuously running. They cannot shut it off as far as I know.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and fablau
I wonder if all of this maybe due to Covid and the global parts/semiconductor shortage. Tesla has been known to do some strange things over the past year. The whole concept of the missing passenger lumbar support for Tesla’s produced over the past 3 months is a good example.
Hopefully this is just a temporary thing and Telsa makes a change. I love my MY, but hate how Tesla treats their customers - reminds me of AOL during their height of popularity during the mid-late 90’s. Unfortunately, things usually need to get worse before they get better. Tesla’s growth is like AOL back then. Growing faster than they can contain and as a result, shortcuts are made.

Yes, I think this issue is related to COVID shortages anywhere in the world. But quality shouldn't suffer from it!

Unfortunately, I also had very bad experiences with Tesla customer support for the past 6 years. And I guess you are right: "things usually need to get worse before they get better."!

All model 3s and Ys do this in some form. I can hear that pump on my 2020 model 3 as well. As soon as the car is awake, it circulates the coolant continuously. The pump speed will vary depending on the cooling or heating needs of the battery. You don't need to wait 30min and then open a door. Waiting 30 minutes is hoping the car falls asleep, and you are waking it up by opening a door.
Maybe your pump is noisier than others, I can't tell. Maybe 2021s with heat pumps have that coolant pump mounted in a different location than 2020s and it makes the sound more easy to hear. Ultimately, there is no way around it, the system is built around the concept that this pump is continuously running. They cannot shut it off as far as I know.

Yes, that's right, I can confirm that. My 2019 Model 3 behaves like that and so my previous Model S and the Model X I had for 3 months because of an accident. But they never made that damn loud noise.

And from my understanding, all Model Ys are made with the same cooling system. The only difference between the older-quiet Model Ys and the new ones is the noisy water pumps. So... let's replace those damn pumps or whatever makes that damn noise attached to them (bearing? impeller? Something else?)

Hey guys, our "story" went mainstream, my friends Zac And Jesse of the Now You Know YT channel (highly recommended!) just included an excerpt of my video on their show:

And they feel my pain... but they don't know the whole story! Which is that I am not the only one having this problem!!

I'll let them know because I sent them the video 2 weeks ago, and a lot happened in the past two weeks (a lot of people got back to me having the same issue!)

The fight has just started ;)

UPDATE:

I wanted to give an update to everybody. I am finalizing the draft of the main petition which will be sent to Tesla and a bunch of consumer-protection organizations, and I'll do that as soon as I have received support from at least 100 people. If you want to add your name to that petition, please, visit my website below and fill the form at the bottom of it:

In the meantime, I have created a second petition on change.org about it, please, visit the page below and be sure to add your name to it.

Sign the Petition

The more buzz we can make about this issue, the more chances we have Tesla will take it seriously. Please, share the above links anywhere you can (FaceBook, Twitter, Tesla clubs, forums, etc) as well as with friends, family, etc... the more people know about this issue the better!

I’ll continue to keep you posted about all this. Thank you for your support again!

All the best,

If you got your new 2021 Model Y and makes a continuous humming noise when parked and the A/C is off, and such noise can be heard from inside the cabin, you may have one of the latest cars with defective/low-quality water pumps:

Your new Model Y is supposed to be quiet when parked and the A/C is off! And note: this problem affects all new Model 3s as well.

If you have that problem, please, take these steps:

1. Contact your nearest Tesla Service Center and complain about it. Ask to compare your new Model Y with one of the oldest ones and make them note that your car is noisy compared to the previous ones. They'll probably tell you that the noise is "normal" whereas it is not.

2. Add your name to a petition I am organizing to send to Tesla and consumer protection organizations in order to have Tesla replace those noisy pumps with quiet ones:

3. Sign a second petition I have created on change.org about it:

The more buzz we can make about this issue, the more chances we have Tesla will take it seriously. Please, share the above links anywhere you can (FaceBook, Twitter, Tesla clubs, forums, etc) as well as with friends, family, etc... the more people know about this issue the better!

I love Tesla and I want it to succeed in its mission "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy" but quality issues like these disappoint its user base and compromise its long-term goal. Please, help us to push Tesla to fix this issue affecting thousands of its latest produced cars.

You can learn more about this issue on the following threads on these forums:

Hi Fabrizio,

You are not alone. I got my M3 LR 2021 one week ago and I realized about that annoying noise during my first/second day with the car.

I’ve driven other EVs in the last 5 years and I haven’t seen something similar.

I will open a ticket tomorrow to my SC and keep you informed. I’ve already signed the petition.

I hope that Tesla can really fix this…

Reactions: fablau
Hi Fabrizio,

You are not alone. I got my M3 LR 2021 one week ago and I realized about that annoying noise during my first/second day with the car.

I’ve driven other EVs in the last 5 years and I haven’t seen something similar.

I will open a ticket tomorrow to my SC and keep you informed. I’ve already signed the petition.

I hope that Tesla can really fix this…

I am sorry about that and thank you for letting us know about it. I feel your pain!

Yes, please, keep us posted with what your SC tells you. Be ready to insist on the problem because they'll try to dismiss it!

Also, please, add your name to the petitions in the links above. Thanks!

I am sorry about that and thank you for letting us know about it. I feel your pain!

Yes, please, keep us posted with what your SC tells you. Be ready to insist on the problem because they'll try to dismiss it!

Also, please, add your name to the petitions in the links above. Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, I did it (but not showing publicly my name, I guess it’s the same). I have a service ticket on 6th, Oct.

We’ll see but as you mention, I could understand that hum when you turn on the AC or when you have been driving for a long period but not as soon as you wake up the car or try to turn it off completely. I stayed yesterday for more than 20 minutes waiting if the hum disappeared and had to abandoned. : ))

Maybe we could create a TG group to discuss about this issue with more affected people.

By the way, this is another topic. I tried to turn it off with windows/doors open, sentry off, mobile access off, and it doesn’t go to sleep. Any idea?

Hi,

Yes, I did it (but not showing publicly my name, I guess it’s the same). I have a service ticket on 6th, Oct.

We’ll see but as you mention, I could understand that hum when you turn on the AC or when you have been driving for a long period but not as soon as you wake up the car or try to turn it off completely. I stayed yesterday for more than 20 minutes waiting if the hum disappeared and had to abandoned. : ))

Maybe we could create a TG group to discuss about this issue with more affected people.

By the way, this is another topic. I tried to turn it off with windows/doors open, sentry off, mobile access off, and it doesn’t go to sleep. Any idea?

Thanks for signing the petition, the name is not required for the one on change.org. But on the one I'll submit physically to Tesla of my own, I'll add names and locations of whoever has added their name to the list through the modelyissue.com website I set up.

About the noise, yes, there's no way to turn it off. It goes off by itself after a while the car is parked and not touched. The fact is, I think that's normal behavior. It's the level of noise which is not normal! I mean, my quiet 2019 Model 3 has a subtle buzzing when I open a door that I can barely hear from outside inside my quiet garage. And that's the level of sound all Teslas should have.

About creating a new discussion about this topic, I have opened several around these forums. Where would you suggest opening a new one?

Finally, about your last question, are you asking how to put to sleep your car? Please, tell us more. Thanks!

UPDATE (suggestion): Yesterday I contacted my local Tesla Owners Club, telling them about this issue. They helped me to get the word out to Tesla's service management and Tesla's headquarters. I really didn't know Tesla clubs could do that. The club's manager suggested reporting the issue without mentioning the petition we are building, but to stay on the personal side of the problem by mentioning these discussions and the fact more people are affected by it. And that's what I did. I described the problem on my personal side, by including my Model Y VIN number, when I got delivery of it, the noise it makes, the bad experience I had at the service center, the discussion having here, more people complaining about it, etc. the whole story without mentioning the petition, and sent it to the club.

I don't have much hope that this will make any difference (I expect Tesla to get back with the usual answer: "It's normal!"), but... maybe, if we all do the same with other clubs, maybe that could at least help to push Tesla to realize that the problem is big and people are suffering from it.

Your thoughts on this additional strategy?

Thanks for signing the petition, the name is not required for the one on change.org. But on the one I'll submit physically to Tesla of my own, I'll add names and locations of whoever has added their name to the list through the modelyissue.com website I set up.

About the noise, yes, there's no way to turn it off. It goes off by itself after a while the car is parked and not touched. The fact is, I think that's normal behavior. It's the level of noise which is not normal! I mean, my quiet 2019 Model 3 has a subtle buzzing when I open a door that I can barely hear from outside inside my quiet garage. And that's the level of sound all Teslas should have.

About creating a new discussion about this topic, I have opened several around these forums. Where would you suggest opening a new one?

Finally, about your last question, are you asking how to put to sleep your car? Please, tell us more. Thanks!
Hi Fabrizio,

I’ve just filled the form also with my personal information at the website you mentioned above.

I proposed to create a Telegram group to discuss about this specific issue in real time with people from different places but if you prefer to centralize the messages on this post for me is perfectly fine.

I really appreciate the informative labour you are doing to escalate this issue to Tesla and see if they can deliver a fix.

With regards my last question yes, I was asking how to put it to sleep as I’d like to connect an obdlink but I haven’t been able to do so as although I follow the steps to turn it off (open doors, disable sentry, mobile access, turn off from the console), after waiting several minutes it does not sleep. :S

UPDATE (suggestion): Yesterday I contacted my local Tesla Owners Club, telling them about this issue. They helped me to get the word out to Tesla's service management and Tesla's headquarters. I really didn't know Tesla clubs could do that. The club's manager suggested reporting the issue without mentioning the petition we are building, but to stay on the personal side of the problem by mentioning these discussions and the fact more people are affected by it. And that's what I did. I described the problem on my personal side, by including my Model Y VIN number, when I got delivery of it, the noise it makes, the bad experience I had at the service center, the discussion having here, more people complaining about it, etc. the whole story without mentioning the petition, and sent it to the club.

I don't have much hope that this will make any difference (I expect Tesla to get back with the usual answer: "It's normal!"), but... maybe, if we all do the same with other clubs, maybe that could at least help to push Tesla to realize that the problem is big and people are suffering from it.

Your thoughts on this additional strategy?
Fab,
Everything helps, but this approach is really no different than complaining to your local service department no? Either way, you are making them aware of the problem and your experience from it. Regardless of what channel you go through- service department, or local club.. you should still have it expedited for immediate repair/replacement and not given this “normal, within spec BS”. You complained to mom (service) and now dad (local club). Either way they are both being bad “parents”. Lol, forgive my analogy but I think you get the point. It’s all BS. I truly think you are the beginning complainant of a much wider issue that we are just the “tip of the iceberg” on.

Keep me posted. I will follow up with you when my brother gets his MY (it was just pushed back 4 weeks) so we can compare.

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau
Hi Fabrizio,

I’ve just filled the form also with my personal information at the website you mentioned above.

I proposed to create a Telegram group to discuss about this specific issue in real time with people from different places but if you prefer to centralize the messages on this post for me is perfectly fine.

I really appreciate the informative labour you are doing to escalate this issue to Tesla and see if they can deliver a fix.

With regards my last question yes, I was asking how to put it to sleep as I’d like to connect an obdlink but I haven’t been able to do so as although I follow the steps to turn it off (open doors, disable sentry, mobile access, turn off from the console), after waiting several minutes it does not sleep. :S

Thank you for filling the form and signing the petition!

Yes, the idea to use something like Telegram could be helpful. Let me think about how we could organize that. I have many contacts about this issue on all fronts, so, let's see if we can do it easily. Great idea though!

About your question, have you tried on your car touchscreen through Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off?

Fab,
Everything helps, but this approach is really no different than complaining to your local service department no? Either way, you are making them aware of the problem and your experience from it. Regardless of what channel you go through- service department, or local club.. you should still have it expedited for immediate repair/replacement and not given this “normal, within spec BS”. You complained to mom (service) and now dad (local club). Either way they are both being bad “parents”. Lol, forgive my analogy but I think you get the point. It’s all BS. I truly think you are the beginning complainant of a much wider issue that we are just the “tip of the iceberg” on.

Keep me posted. I will follow up with you when my brother gets his MY (it was just pushed back 4 weeks) so we can compare.

Agreed 100%! That's why I don't expect anything relevant coming from filing this with the club, but we never know. It is worth trying.

And yes, please, I'd love to meet with you and your brother, that's something I keep thinking about every day. That'd help a great deal! And it'll be fun to get together ;)

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82