Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the call earlier my tires were in. Got them put in a couple hours ago.

The look is incredible! This is how the car should come stock.

The ride is day/ night difference in ride comfort. Every little bump I felt before is gone. The steering isn’t as snappy but Im sure that can be fixed if I change my steering to sport.

I 100% recommend just off initial impressions.

Attached are some pictures. If more are needed let me know!

Before:
F: 255/35/21
R: 275/35/21
View attachment 995602

After:
F: 265/40/21
R: 295/40/21
View attachment 995603
View attachment 995604
View attachment 995605
She’s a bad bitch now👨‍🍳💋
If I had white, I’d check out the black wrap trim
1701572815800.png

Very interesting

I've been contemplating tires and wheels for months, since I got my 2023 MYP in 03/23. This thread has made my decision making even more distraught, lol!

I need/want to run winter tires. I actually have a set of OEM Tesla 20" Induction wheels & Pirelli winter tires ordered and being held for me at my local Tesla service Center (not paid yet). I've stalled on installing them. I'm now leaning towards 21" Pirelli winter tires for the Uberturbine wheels.

Re: non-winter tires, I need/want A/S, not summer. I've rashed both front and rear passenger side wheels. And, I wasn't even aware it! (except one, where I cut a corner too sharp, totally my fault for not paying attention. Grrrrrr....). Where I live I hardly ever parallel park next to a curb. I really dislike how the wheel is proud of the tire. I'd like to run wider tires. And - I don't love the Uberturbine wheels. I'd like to get after market wheels, but they're aren't many options. The most obvious choice is TSportline (but the offsets are different than Tesla's, which makes me wonder why).

While I love the look of the 40's folks in this thread are running. I don't want to give up the handling performance. Taller is appealing for ride comfort and possibly overall tire durability.

Saying all that, I'm still not sure what I'm doing, lol!!!

Hi,

after the really bad experience with the 265/40 and 295/40 I changed the tires after 200mls.
Running now on 275/35 R21 and 295/35 R21.
Much better handling. She spins very sporty and no wobbly feeling with improvement of comfort.
But also some efficiency loss around 5% on my daylight driving of 100-180mls.

I think on the Uber Turbine Wheels the best compromise is still the OEM tire size to which I will change back after that actual set is done.

You can get my take off 40's in the Listing area.

Cheers.
Do you have any rubbing on the front tires with 275/35 R21 when turned to lock-out?

Do the wider tires on the 21" Uberturbine wheels protrude past the wheel, to provide a little protection from rashing?

Anyone out there setting all 4 uberturnine wheels same size (front at rear all 4 or rear to front all 4 with and extra set) ?
i am willing to trade my front or rear so we get same size in tires and be able to rotate and extend the life of the tires, i only got 17k miles on my rear MYP
regards.

Anyone out there setting all 4 uberturnine wheels same size (front at rear all 4 or rear to front all 4 with and extra set) ?
i am willing to trade my front or rear so we get same size in tires and be able to rotate and extend the life of the tires, i only got 17k miles on my rear MYP
regards.
Interesting and seems simple such as 4x 275s but don’t think it’s that easy
Feel the MYP is designed with different wheel widths, meaning where they sit in each drive train
The vehicle won’t ride correctly

Reactions: ggunn9
Got the call earlier my tires were in. Got them put in a couple hours ago.

The look is incredible! This is how the car should come stock.

The ride is day/ night difference in ride comfort. Every little bump I felt before is gone. The steering isn’t as snappy but Im sure that can be fixed if I change my steering to sport.

I 100% recommend just off initial impressions.

Attached are some pictures. If more are needed let me know!

Before:
F: 255/35/21
R: 275/35/21
View attachment 995602

After:
F: 265/40/21
R: 295/40/21
View attachment 995603
View attachment 995604
View attachment 995605
She’s a bad bitch now👨‍🍳💋
OP here - Congrats! It’s really crazy the difference it makes visually huh? Enjoy!

Hey everyone! If you've bought a set of michelins after reading this, I just had this sent to me through one of the Tesla communities I follow.

15% rebate on michelins bought any time during 2023. So no excuse to not get the best tires you can get.

Michelin Discount Program PDF
Link to submit your invoice and details

Where it asks for the "Pro Discount Code", use:

INFPRO15-PNTF-E1PU

Mods: I'm not affiliated with Michelin, or any specific group. I just wanted to share since these tires are NOT cheap and a lot of you seem to have made the switch! My full set was about $2000 after taxes and fees.
Thank you for this! I just got some new shoes today and submitted for the rebate. I had almost 32K on my original set of the Michelin PS AS4's and was happy to get that outta them.

Reactions: Raurele
Hey everyone! If you've bought a set of michelins after reading this, I just had this sent to me through one of the Tesla communities I follow.

15% rebate on michelins bought any time during 2023. So no excuse to not get the best tires you can get.

Michelin Discount Program PDF
Link to submit your invoice and details

Where it asks for the "Pro Discount Code", use:

INFPRO15-PNTF-E1PU

Mods: I'm not affiliated with Michelin, or any specific group. I just wanted to share since these tires are NOT cheap and a lot of you seem to have made the switch! My full set was about $2000 after taxes and fees.
Do you know if this code will work for BFG's also?

I recently had to replace my 2022 MYP OEM Michelin All Season 4's and after a lot of research, and tire hunting, wanted to share my experience and the direction I went. Valuable information for those close to ordering new tires. I just drive 2000 miles through Santa Cruz, San Jose, Sacramento, and did a weekend in Tahoe, driving on many dirt roads and rough roads.

First off, I will never go with another set of tires after having these. I made it to 37,000 miles with 3/32 left on all 4 tires. they wore evenly. Their performance in heavy rain and even 6" of snow was unbelievable. Ive had multiple cars with Pirellis, and always stuck with them, but was not happy with the miles I got out of them, and the thought of getting 27,000 miles on them with an EV just sounds terrible considering the price.

The Tires

I went up in size with width, and sidewall.

Stock/OEM for the MYP is:
Front: 255/35/21
View attachment 853290
Rear: 275/35/21
View attachment 853291

The tires I chose are:
Front: 265/40/21
View attachment 853292
Rear: 295/40/21
View attachment 853293
Fitment

Front wheels fully turned, there's still >1" to the inner tire well. So no rubbing at all, even with quick turns into parking lots (Where you would probably get rubbing the most)
Rear wheels haven't rubbed on any large bumps. I even tried to get them to rub. nothing.

The main bonus functionality wise is that the tires extend farther out than the rims. not much, but they do.
View attachment 853301

Look

The difference is huge. Pictures don't do it justice. When I see other MYP's now, the OEM tires look stretched and the amount of room in the tire well looks like a mistake. maybe not on the MYLR, but for a performance, the larger sidewall REALLY looks great. It creates the illusion that your car is lowered, but its actually ~1.5" higher clearance

It truly looks performance even though It can handle bumpy roads and "All Season" conditions even better.

Before:
View attachment 853299

After:
View attachment 853302
Efficiency

This part was really interesting.

Bigger tires have a higher rolling resistance than smaller tires which means they require more resistance and effort to get them rolling. However, if you do a lot of freeway driving at high speeds, larger tires can help increase your vehicle's efficiency.

So, days I drive a lot in the city with lots of stop and go, I get about 7% less range. but when I do a lot of freeway driving, I get about 7% better range.

I drive 150-350 miles a day, and have found zero difference in range because I do a wide range of road types. I really thought I'd lose range.

Feel

WOW, what a difference. Sure the suspension is still stiff, but I feel a LOT less of the small imperfections of the roads I drive on every day. even my girlfriend said she noticed it before I got to point it out. Speed bumps and things feel much better and not like im driving over a 2"x4". This is my favorite part of these tires functionality wise. Cant describe it.

There is no foam in the tires, but they are STILL quieter than the OEM with the foam. that stuffs a gimmick.

Things To Be Aware Of

Speedometer: It is not going to be accurate. Due to the larger diameter, it is off. I called Tesla, and talked to 2 different service centers, and there is nothing they can do about it. This seems like something Tesla overlooked. The only thing you can change is your rim size in your cars settings, but not the diameter...

So, when my car says im going 70MPH, im actually going 74MPH.
says 25, im going 26.5
says 40, im going 43
says 65, im going 68.5
says 85 (for AP max) im going 90.

This is something that as long as you keep in mind, it doesnt matter. I just changed my cruise control settings so it doesn't add 5MPH anymore. I chose 7% increase and it's fine.

I dont know if it's the new beta version, or that the car thinks its going slower than it is, but ive noticed that on AP/FSDbeta, it is taking turns a little wider and sometimes touches the lines on the outer edge of the turn if im going above 50mph. I'm pretty sure it's the speed issue.

This really needs to be able to be corrected by the user in the settings. sometimes switching brands can add .5in of diameter even if the tire is the same "size".

Conclusion:

Go Bigger! the OEM tires are actually stretched on your Uberturbines. they are meant for wider tires but Tesla went smaller for efficiency reasons, which in the end, didn't matter. Finding the OEM sizes of these wonderful tires is basically impossible. They are on a national backorder right now which is why I went for a different size in the first place. These tires arent cheap, but they ARE worth every penny.

American tire warned me that they weren't OEM sizes, and I told them I know for a fact they will fit and they had no problem installing them.

Here's some more pictures just for fun. These are some CHONKY tires. Thicc with 2 "C"s. tiny American tire man for reference.
View attachment 853304View attachment 853305
Thanks for this looks sick!

Reactions: Raurele
So I've been trying to keep up with this thread and I see two primary variations in upsizing that people are doing. Trying to summarize:

StockOption A ("Upsize")Option B ("Supersize")
Front255/35/21275/35/21 (moved from OEM rear)265/40/21
Rear275/35/21295/35/21295/40/21
NotesIncreases sidewall height 0.27" and width 0.78" (rears)Increases sidewall height 0.86" and width 0.78" (rears)
Pros...?1. Better ride
2. More "full"/square look on rims (less rubber band look)
3. Minimal (<1%) impact to speedo measurement
1. Significantly improved ride
2. Visual heft/fills out wheel wells
Cons1. Ride is harsh
2. Tires look like rubber bands stretched over the rims
1. $$1. Significant (6%+) speedo inaccuracy (reading 70 = actually going 74-75mph)
2. $$$$
3. At least one user reports poor/vague handling

Does that about sum it up?

I actually am not sure I've seen direct comments on ride quality from people who have done Option A (Upsize), but maybe I just missed it because sometimes I'm trying to piece together comments across multiple posts to figure out who did what. The Supersize folks have definitely made it clear it improved ride quality significantly.
Resurrecting this summary table based on comments I've been reading. Added Con #3 to the Supersize option based on what a couple of people have said.

I'm really getting sick of my MYP's harsh ride, even with the stocks underinflated, but I'm very undecided about going with the Upsize or Supersize option. I only have 3.5k miles on my stocks but I can't wait for them to wear out. Has anyone actually had seat time with both options above? I saw just one guy reported that he hated how the steering felt with the Supersize option...the rest of you with 265/40s up front, do you feel it's significantly impacted the steering sharpness?

The other factor in the back of my mind is Juniper...if it's worlds better in terms of ride, the way the new 3 is, I may eat the depreciation and trade up. Can't wait for some of you with the 40s to go test drive Juniper when it comes out and see how much better it is compared to your upgraded tires.

Resurrecting this summary table based on comments I've been reading. Added Con #3 to the Supersize option based on what a couple of people have said.

I'm really getting sick of my MYP's harsh ride, even with the stocks underinflated, but I'm very undecided about going with the Upsize or Supersize option. I only have 3.5k miles on my stocks but I can't wait for them to wear out. Has anyone actually had seat time with both options above? I saw just one guy reported that he hated how the steering felt with the Supersize option...the rest of you with 265/40s up front, do you feel it's significantly impacted the steering sharpness?

The other factor in the back of my mind is Juniper...if it's worlds better in terms of ride, the way the new 3 is, I may eat the depreciation and trade up. Can't wait for some of you with the 40s to go test drive Juniper when it comes out and see how much better it is compared to your upgraded tires.
speedo difference for the 40's is not that extreme. If you set your tires at 39, realistically, 70mph is 72-73mph. which doesnt matter at all. all of those ".86"" measurements are not exact for every person. tire pressure, occupant/cargo weight, and other things affect the actual running diameter.

To be honest, you're digging too much into the details. whether you want the 35 or 40, is just preference. the 40s give a better ride than 35, and fill the tire well better.

It's 35k miles. just get one, and next time, try the other. it's not a lifetime commitment.

Reactions: Umar96
speedo difference for the 40's is not that extreme. If you set your tires at 39, realistically, 70mph is 72-73mph. which doesnt matter at all. all of those ".86"" measurements are not exact for every person. tire pressure, occupant/cargo weight, and other things affect the actual running diameter.

To be honest, you're digging too much into the details. whether you want the 35 or 40, is just preference. the 40s give a better ride than 35, and fill the tire well better.

It's 35k miles. just get one, and next time, try the other. it's not a lifetime commitment.
Heh. Thanks. I work at home though, and only drive this car about 6k miles a year, so a set of tires is definitely a long term commitment for me :)