Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which mudflaps did you install on your car?
Looks like the same as mine.
1675152666674.jpeg

BASENOR Tesla Model Y Mud Flaps Splash Guards Winter Vehicle Sediment Protection No Need to Drill Holes(Set of 4)

I tried a few and these are the only ones that looked the most OEM without being the actual OEM ones that are literally flat thin flaps of plastic. Make sure to order the extra clips because chances are one will break while installing because it’s all a good tight fit. It comes with only the amount required.

(Photo is with the big tires this thread is about when American tire installed them :)

So I have a full set, 295/40 amd 265/40, for my 2021 MYP sitting at Pep Boys. They’ll install them but informed me I need 4 TPMS service kits, and that by federal law they cannot install without them.

I can’t find them, not even a part number. Can anyone help?
Federal law regards installing TPMS sensors. Not service kits. I'm not sure why they want to use those. The TPMS sensors shouldn't be touched.

If your old sensors are fine, they can reuse them. I doubt they need service kits this early in their life. They're swapping the tires, not removing the TPMS sensors.

This is what you'd have needed if they were super stubborn. Tire Rack sells them if you give them a call.

Last edited:
Reactions: BikerPeaBody
Thanks OP and all. The difference in ride quality is more than I had hoped for. Immediately noticeable, and a lot cheaper than suspension work since I had to replace the P Zeros at 21K anyway.

View attachment 902050
Congrats! Makes me really happy for people take some random persons (mine) online advice and be happy!

It’s easy to dismiss one person (me) claiming the ride quality is substantially better, but people keep saying they notice it too. There really is a difference. And it just looks SOOOO much better. Love pulling up to an identical MYP at a charger and seeing the side by side. It’ll make you appreciate it more.

Enjoy your tires! You will give 30k+ miles out of them. I drive aggressively and could have easily gotten 40k. Your road quality may differ so YMMV.

Thanks for posting a success response. Hope more people see this.

Reactions: FasterBlaster
Federal law regards installing TPMS sensors. Not service kits. I'm not sure why they want to use those. The TPMS sensors shouldn't be touched.

If your old sensors are fine, they can reuse them. I doubt they need service kits this early in their life. They're swapping the tires, not removing the TPMS sensors.

This is what you'd have needed if they were super stubborn. Tire Rack sells them if you give them a call.

Thanks for the info. I switched wheels and they did it without a service kit. They said they opened up about 10 service kits they had and couldn't find what they needed. Also, I bought something billed as Tesla TPMS service kits but they weren't correct either.

Congrats! Makes me really happy for people take some random persons (mine) online advice and be happy!

It’s easy to dismiss one person (me) claiming the ride quality is substantially better, but people keep saying they notice it too. There really is a difference. And it just looks SOOOO much better. Love pulling up to an identical MYP at a charger and seeing the side by side. It’ll make you appreciate it more.

Enjoy your tires! You will give 30k+ miles out of them. I drive aggressively and could have easily gotten 40k. Your road quality may differ so YMMV.

Thanks for posting a success response. Hope more people see this.
Thanks! The ride really is a lot better. It makes sense with the big increase in air volume and sidewall height. It's a relief for me because I was tired of getting beat up! Definitely look a lot better also...

The difference is huge. Pictures don't do it justice. When I see other MYP's now, the OEM tires look stretched and the amount of room in the tire well looks like a mistake. maybe not on the MYLR, but for a performance, the larger sidewall REALLY looks great. It creates the illusion that your car is lowered, but its actually ~1.5" higher clearance

Increasing tire sizes from 255/35R21 - 275/35R21 to 265/40R21 - 295/40R21 doesn't give you 1.5" more ground clearance. Yes, you're increasing total height of the tire by a little less than 1.5", but total increase in "ground" clearance would be half of that.

The extra ground clearance is:
in the front the diameter of the 255/35 is 71,2 cm and with the 265/40's it's 74,5 cm so a difference of 3,3 cm /2 is 1,65 cm what is 0.6496 inch
in the rear the diameter of the 275/35 is 72,6 cm and with the 295/40's it's 76,9 cm so a difference of 4,3 cm /2 is 2,1 cm what is 0.8268 inch
View attachment 903906
View attachment 903905
Correct. Not 1.5". Just as I previously stated.

Maybe this update can correct the speed offset: 2022.40.1 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software
Maybe this update can correct the speed offset: 2022.40.1 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates
Maybe this update can correct the speed offset: 2022.40.1 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates
It looks awesome! Have you had 3 grown people ride in the back! If so, any rubbing at all especially when driving over rough roads or speed bumps.

This is awesome! Anyone change out the OEM tires right after they go their MYP. I’m seems a waste to just throw away the OEM, but I really like the look and the benefits of going with the larger size tires from the start. Hope to take delivery of my 2023 W/W MYP by the end of March.

Anyone having any regrets going with the larger tires?

This is awesome! Anyone change out the OEM tires right after they go their MYP. I’m seems a waste to just throw away the OEM, but I really like the look and the benefits of going with the larger size tires from the start. Hope to take delivery of my 2023 W/W MYP by the end of March.

Anyone having any regrets going with the larger tires?
Why throw away a good set of low mileage tires? I sold mine in the market place here when I went with a wider set on my MYP. I don’t think you’ll have a problem selling them as long as there’s no excessive wear or damage, and they are relatively low mileage. Just be sure to price them reasonably.

No regrets going with the wider set.

Reactions: TallTexGuy
it is taking turns a little wider and sometimes touches the lines on the outer edge of the turn if im going above 50mph. I'm pretty sure it's the speed issue.
I’ve noticed this with the 40s as well, when using autopilot. Worse when the turn is more sudden. My car rode the line on turns anyway, which annoyed me from the beginning. I don’t understand why they can’t fix it, seems easy. But now, a few days ago I was on the Interstate going through St. Petersburg, which has a lot of turns, and I got the over the line warning sound twice. For me, autopilot has always worked better on open highway, either straight or with long flowing turns, so I usually turn it off in areas with tighter turns anyway.

I’ve noticed this with the 40s as well, when using autopilot. Worse when the turn is more sudden. My car rode the line on turns anyway, which annoyed me from the beginning. I don’t understand why they can’t fix it, seems easy. But now, a few days ago I was on the Interstate going through St. Petersburg, which has a lot of turns, and I got the over the line warning sound twice. For me, autopilot has always worked better on open highway, either straight or with long flowing turns, so I usually turn it off in areas with tighter turns anyway.
mine seems to have corrected itself over the last few updates. I would suggest switching your tire setup in your car settings to a different size tire, then back to the 21". might be a placebo, but im pretty sure it recalibrated the tires after switching that. my pedometer is only 2MPH off now when going 75 (speedometer says 75, actually going 77). it used to be 6 off. showed 81.

I would love it if that was the case and it really recalibrated!!

I just ordered some new wheels 21inch and will be going with the tire setup mention here.

Raurele how many total miles have you done on this setup total ?

I like the thought of higher sidewall and lowered affect, just unsure if it will cause any serious issue to the motors or suspension long term since it’s 6% bigger than OEM.