Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What tires were you using before? The efficiency loss can be partially explained by these factors, as opposed to them simply being wider and heavier:
  • new tires can be stickier
  • since you increased overall diameter, your efficiency would be off by a similar percentage. You're actually getting better than 338 Wh/mile
  • the Pilot Sport AS4s likely have more grip than your older tires
Previous tires were factory pilot sport as4 with 32k miles on them. My Wh/mile has been creeping down (good) and I’m noticing my regular commute is registering similar battery percentage loss over the trip as before the tire switch.

One more note that I’m gonna throw out there… and I still need to verify it with track mode, I’m noticing what seems to me to be a definite reduction in take off acceleration from a stop… I mean, it makes sense. Heavier tires, more unsprung weight. Anyone else with the 265/295 setup seeing this?

Reactions: purge00
Hi all, picked up my MYP. Wanting to eventually go this route 275 front / 295 rear after my stock set of Michelin All Season 4 wears out. I am considering getting the tire insurance from Americas Tire / Discount Tire for the stock set.

Question is... if I go with the Insurance, will I be able to pay a difference to upgrade to larger sizes tire? Should I just forgo the insurance, and get them later when I size up to 275/295?

What do you guys think is a good price for two 265/40 and two 195/40s? Costco looks sold out. And what would be a fair price to sell the stock rubber with 800 miles on them?
I bought my 275/40s and 295/40s from tirerack.com. They were delivered to my house in Portland Oregon within 2 days via UPS. I paid around $1,668 for the set of 4 and $208 to have them installed by Les Schawb (about $50 less than discount tire and Costco wanted to charge for install). Les Schawb did pre-warn me about the size not being OEM, but after install said they checked the fit carefully and said they should work great.

275/40

295/40:

I don’t see that tirerack caries 195/40, but you may have meant to type 295/40.

I enjoy the size of the larger tires much more than the smaller OEM 155/165/35. I personally feel they ride better, look better, and have seen them save my rims from curbs rash better. In my experience, the OEM tires were not fun to run over the many potholes we have here in Portland. With the 40s, I don’t feel the potholes near as bad, and I have not experienced the fear of a rim crack when I drive over them, as I did with the OEM tires.
I have also received a few compliments from other Tesla owners who notice, on the way the larger tires look.

As for selling your stock tires with 800 miles, your experience will differ from mine, but I was able to sell my stock tires with 98 miles on them for $700.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

IMG_5535.jpeg

IMG_5540.jpeg

IMG_5536.jpeg

Reactions: OutofPocket
For those who have made the switch to 265/40 & 295/40 what PSI do you keep the tires at ?

I’ve read previously with the stock tire/wheel setup many recommended 39PSI cold to help with ride.

Tires are here and wheels arriving shortly, want to make sure I give the installers direction if PSI.

I bought my 275/40s and 295/40s from tirerack.com. They were delivered to my house in Portland Oregon within 2 days via UPS. I paid around $1,668 for the set of 4 and $208 to have them installed by Les Schawb (about $50 less than discount tire and Costco wanted to charge for install). Les Schawb did pre-warn me about the size not being OEM, but after install said they checked the fit carefully and said they should work great.

275/40

295/40:

I don’t see that tirerack caries 195/40, but you may have meant to type 295/40.

I enjoy the size of the larger tires much more than the smaller OEM 155/165/35. I personally feel they ride better, look better, and have seen them save my rims from curbs rash better. In my experience, the OEM tires were not fun to run over the many potholes we have here in Portland. With the 40s, I don’t feel the potholes near as bad, and I have not experienced the fear of a rim crack when I drive over them, as I did with the OEM tires.
I have also received a few compliments from other Tesla owners who notice, on the way the larger tires look.

As for selling your stock tires with 800 miles, your experience will differ from mine, but I was able to sell my stock tires with 98 miles on them for $700.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

View attachment 923290
View attachment 923293
View attachment 923294
Yes we both meant 295 and 265. Thanks for the info. I found a promo code so I think I'm going to be able to get all four for around 1400ish. I'll put my old shoes online for $700 and it'll reduce the hit considerably. Your car looks really good btw. If mine looks like that, but black I'll be thrilled

For those who have made the switch to 265/40 & 295/40 what PSI do you keep the tires at ?

I’ve read previously with the stock tire/wheel setup many recommended 39PSI cold to help with ride.

Tires are here and wheels arriving shortly, want to make sure I give the installers direction if PSI.
Mine have been 41/42 lbs. I may adjust down to 40. I know some people run 39.

The extra ground clearance is:
in the front the diameter of the 255/35 is 71,2 cm and with the 265/40's it's 74,5 cm so a difference of 3,3 cm /2 is 1,65 cm what is 0.6496 inch
in the rear the diameter of the 275/35 is 72,6 cm and with the 295/40's it's 76,9 cm so a difference of 4,3 cm /2 is 2,1 cm what is 0.8268 inch
View attachment 903906
View attachment 903905
I’m also running 265/40/21 & 295/40/21 now. It has closed the wheel gap somewhat, however the ride has increased as mentioned in your post. I want to close it a little more.

Does that mean I can lower the car by that amount without facing any rubbing issues etc ?

I don’t even know where to start to figure this out, so any help from anyone would be appreciated.

Those of you that are running the 265/40/21 & 295/40/21 setup, did you have our car’s alignment checked after you installed the tires? Also, has anyone used Discount Tires to do the install? Since the size is not OEM, did you have any trouble finding an installer? Thanks

I had the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s installed at Discount Tire two weeks ago. The same tires were on sale at Costco, but they wouldn't install them, and Discount Tire matched Costco's sales price and had no problem installing them. 265/40/21 in the front and 295/50/21 in the back. They give my MYP a smoother and quieter ride, and they have been great in that the recent California storms. I definitely feel less bumps with these tires. BTW, I got 26K miles out of the stock P-Zeros, which was about what I was expecting. I recommend the Michelins.View attachment 896449
Is your setup 265/40/21 & 295/40/21? Or are you running 50’s on the rears? Did you have your car realigned after you installed the larger tires? I have a 2023 MYP and thinking about going with the same setup.

Those of you that are running the 265/40/21 & 295/40/21 setup, did you have our car’s alignment checked after you installed the tires? Also, has anyone used Discount Tires to do the install? Since the size is not OEM, did you have any trouble finding an installer? Thanks
I have not had my alignment checked, but have no reason to believe that it needs to be checked. I had mine installed at Les Schawb because they were about $40 cheaper than discount tire and Costco. When I asked to have them installed, the employee at the counter warned that they were not OEM size, and I had to acknowledge that they may not install if they feel they do not fit. When I picked my car up after the install, the tech who worked on my car also checked me out. He mentioned that they fully installed one front tire then one back tire before proceeding with the rest. In doing this, they made sure to fully check the fit of each tire. He told me that the tire clearance is tight, but I shouldn’t have any issues with the size. He said sometimes I may hear a small thud sound if I turn and go over a large bump at the same time, but this wouldn’t be anything to be concerned about. I have heard the small thud a hand full of times, but the sound was very small and nothing concerning. I have a little over 1,000 miles on the tires now and have not experienced anything that has raised a concern for me. So far, I have not regretted my decision to change the tire size and I plan to run this size for the life of the car while it’s in my possession.

Reactions: TallTexGuy
Is your setup 265/40/21 & 295/40/21? Or are you running 50’s on the rears? Did you have your car realigned after you installed the larger tires? I have a 2023 MYP and thinking about going with the same setup.

50 was a typo, so the rears are 295/40R21. I didn't do a realignment afterwards. I have over 5k miles on these tires with no rubbing, car steers straight with no drifting, and no unusual sounds. I really like these Michelins and would buy them again.

Reactions: TallTexGuy
I went with the 275/35/21’s on the front 9.5 rims and 295/35/21 on the rears. Ordered 2 295’s from tire rack.

fitment is perfect 👍🏽 I run psi at 38/39.
Better ride and cost effective. I keep the 255’a as spares

Comparison chart…increase in diameter is almost identical at .6 and .5” respectively.

9072667E-8FA9-409B-8C55-AE58501F2D00.jpeg
6F5FB71E-B082-46FC-AB69-E97659003659.jpeg

I’ve read this entire thread, twice.

I’m going to order wheels and tires for MY LR. I wanted as much diameter and width as I could put without lifting the car.

I see 275/40’s on 21’s on front, no spacers, so the 40mm offset, is a fit. 295/40’s on 21’s rear—no issue. Taking into account the MYP is .6” lower than my MYLR…. I’m pretty sure if the 29-30” diameter is fitting a MYP, it’ll fit my MYLR.

The wheels I’m ordering I can specify offsets—so—looking for clarity and experience.

Given that steering knuckle proximity, I’m thinking of a +35 offset vs. +40 on the front, which should give me for sure clearance on that steering knuckle. Any downsides to that? (Guys running 285’s on 9.5’s with 40mm offset—so I’m thinking I’m good even with the 40mm offset?)

Also noticed, another member COULDN’T fit 275’s on front with the 10.5” rim on front. That’s the only “Fail” I’ve seen on the 275’s up front.
Also noticed, another member running 285’s square on 9.5’s… no problem. So, I’m guessing the steering knuckle is only an issue on a 10.5” rim with the +48mm offset.
And another member, without posting offsets, is running 275’s on 10” rims…no problems. But they didn’t post offsets.

I’m planning on 275/45-20’s on front. 32mm offset (or stock 40mm offset) on 9.5” rims up front. I’m looking for experience on this.
I’m planning on the 295/45-20’s on the rear. 40mm offset (or stock 48mm offset) on 10.5” rims in rear. Looking for experience of input on this.

This decision based on all I’ve collected in here so far. Those of you more active, or having sampled tire sizes—this is my final check before ordering…what am I missing?

Reactions: Poolparty
So I'm trying to sift through the posts to determine the best route here. The Pirellis that came with my MYP are nearly nuked after 12K miles. I'll probably get 15K before they're toast. I do have a winter setup, but looking to get a bit more mileage out of a replacement tire, so leaning towards getting the Pilot A/S and calling it a day.

But... What is the consensus on stock rims and going up in tire width? Does a 275/35 F and 295/35 R fit, no rubbing? I'm on stock everything on the car. I don't want to deal with any issues, so if I'm just better off staying with the OEM sizes, I will gladly do that. Also seems like some are going with a 40-ratio tire? But wouldn't the speedo be off much more than a 35-ration in a 275/295 combo? And what are the sizes people are going with a 40-ratio and OEM rims? Thanks all.