Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Price Increase 1000!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y Performance seems to have gone up in price by$1000 in the last few days. I ordered my MYP Red (NO AP options, dark interior)
It was 60630 (Vehicle Price, Destination and Order fees only) on a1/19/23. I noticed its 61630 priced a few minutes ago!!

Yes. It gives you the price from when you made your original reservation. I’ve seriously changed my configuration 5 times and my EDD has stayed at 3/7-3/31.
I’ve changed mine three times now.

OD was LR5 black

1st change to LR7black/20/tow

-then received EDD Apr 2 - May 14
-spotted some SRAWD in inventory and wanted to change.

2nd change LR5

-no change in EDD

latest change was to P.

- same EDD.

All keeping the price at time of original order.

you can get there from the app but it will take you to the website. basically go to "manage" either from the app (and it will redirect you to the website) or from your dashboard on the website. Then "edit design" on the next page.
The edit option can go away. I sent a text mentioning I wanted to change the options and they restored the ability to edit (after I saw the SRAWDs).

I’ve changed mine three times now.

OD was LR5 black

1st change to LR7black/20/tow

-then received EDD Apr 2 - May 14
-spotted some SRAWD in inventory and wanted to change.

2nd change LR5

-no change in EDD

latest change was to P.

- same EDD.

All keeping the price at time of original order.

The edit option can go away. I sent a text mentioning I wanted to change the options and they restored the ability to edit (after I saw the SRAWDs).
Thanks, that was my issue, after a certain stage of the ordering process, the "edit design" button goes away. I want to change to P also now that the cap has increased.

Thanks, that was my issue, after a certain stage of the ordering process, the "edit design" button goes away. I want to change to P also now that the cap has increased.
You'll need to either text Tesla, call Tesla or chat with Tesla. They can activate the Edit link. Or set your profile to incomplete financing and it will probably bring back the Edit link. If you have it set to cash or have all financing in place the edit link goes away.

Or you can use the backdoor URL which was a popular method last year (and the way I changed my color on my order):
www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/edit-design/RN#######
Use your unique RN # at the end of that URL.
It is a little glitchy sometimes to get the page to load. I found it most predictable to logout, enter the URL, login, if it doesn't bring you to the Edit page then click Manage your order. Then enter the URL again. Usually it works then.

You'll need to either text Tesla, call Tesla or chat with Tesla. They can activate the Edit link. Or set your profile to incomplete financing and it will probably bring back the Edit link. If you have it set to cash or have all financing in place the edit link goes away.

Or you can use the backdoor URL which was a popular method last year (and the way I changed my color on my order):
www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/edit-design/RN#######
Use your unique RN # at the end of that URL.
It is a little glitchy sometimes to get the page to load. I found it most predictable to logout, enter the URL, login, if it doesn't bring you to the Edit page then click Manage your order. Then enter the URL again. Usually it works then.
Mine is currently set to cash, but I still have the link (after the re-activation). So there are some flags that can stay overwritten.

That’s because you’re not editing your original (price locked) model, you are scrapping that for a new model. New model, new price.
You've always been able to switch between LR and P and lock in the original price from when you placed your original order. This was happening all the time last year...some switched back and forth multiple times. Everyone paid pricing from the time of original order. Only if you switched to a 3,S,X would your order be considered new and be subject to current prices.

Unless Tesla has just recently changed this policy, people should be able to switch to MYP and pay the MYP price from the time of their order which for most should be $1000 less than current.

You've always been able to switch between LR and P and lock in the original price from when you placed your original order. This was happening all the time last year...some switched back and forth multiple times. Everyone paid pricing from the time of original order. Only if you switched to a 3,S,X would your order be considered new and be subject to current prices.

Unless Tesla has just recently changed this policy, people should be able to switch to MYP and pay the MYP price from the time of their order which for most should be $1000 less than current.
Not sure I understand why that would be expected. You are locking in the Model and MSRP for the vehicle selected. To expect the entire product catalog of models/prices to be locked at time of purchase seems a bit much for expectations. The fact that they even allow random and continuous configuration changes after purchase is mind boggling to me from a production efficiency stand point.

Not sure I understand why that would be expected. You are locking in the Model and MSRP for the vehicle selected. To expect the entire product catalog of models/prices to be locked at time of purchase seems a bit much for expectations. The fact that they even allow random and continuous configuration changes after purchase is mind boggling to me from a production efficiency stand point.
Agreed, I always had the impression the policy was that any change would reprice to current prices. Perhaps with an exception for changes like color and and adding/removing tow hook etc.

I think the topic is going on a bit of a spiral… some of you folks seem to be saying similar things, but differently enough to think you’re disagreeing.

Y is the model.

SRRWD (if it still exists)/SRAWD/LR/P are all ”trim“ levels.

Color, seat, etc are options.

I switched from MYLR5 to MYLR7 back MYLR5 then to MYP. All using the prices listed at the time of the original order. Of course, it was actually before the price increase. But I still have the lower price if I change and review it.

Tessie7 did not mention what or even when they made their OD. Some are assuming they switched models some aren’t. I make no assumptions, it’s too annoying when it’s wrong. But I suspect there’s something else going on.

Maybe they popped on an option and forgot about it. Maybe they’re looking at the price with destination charge and comparing to what they remember (without). Who knows.

Last edited:
Agreed, I always had the impression the policy was that any change would reprice to current prices. Perhaps with an exception for changes like color and and adding/removing tow hook etc.
Well I guess you had the wrong impression if we are talking about a change between LR to P or P to LR (or even the new AWD). Your impression is correct if we are talking about switching from a Y to a 3 or S or X.

As I mentioned above, people were doing this non-stop in 2022. I was following 16 different delivery threads (basically one for every order month, ones for MYP, etc). Everyone who switched between LR and P (typically to get a car 3-6 months earlier) paid pricing of the MYP that was in place at the time they had ordered their LR.

I went into the Edit configurator in July and had the pricing set to March 11, 2022 pricing when the price had gone up ~$8K since I'd ordered. I never switched myself (just switched color of my LR) but just like everyone else, the pricing was locked to time of original order even if switching between LR and P.