Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Power Conversion System (PCS) failure from start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen other posts on this subject, but my experience is a little different. Because I plug my car in at home and walk away, I hadn’t noticed that it was charging at only 32 amps on my 60 amp wall connector. I happened to be sitting in my car when I finally saw the error message indicating the problem. I knew it was the car when it charged with no problem on a friend‘s wall connector. I went back in my TeslaFi records and found it had always been so (I have only 4,500 miles on the car). Tesla Service is replacing the PCS as I write this. I guess the moral here is pay attention. The only time I stayed in the car to observe charging is on the road at DC charges. The app shows amps, but not error messages.

Good evening. I'm a bit confused...if it was charging slow with your home charger, but better at a friend's charger, what made you believe there was a problem with the car? Wouldn't that suggest that you had a problem with your wall connector? I'm not doubting their diagnosis, just trying to understand the context.

Good evening. I'm a bit confused...if it was charging slow with your home charger, but better at a friend's charger, what made you believe there was a problem with the car? Wouldn't that suggest that you had a problem with your wall connector? I'm not doubting their diagnosis, just trying to understand the context.
Sorry, that is confusing. It did NOT charge normally at my friends house. His car charges.normally there. And now, after the PCS replacement on my car, all is corrected.

Reactions: TomB985
Early Model 3 Standard Range owners got screwed by PCS failures. They can only charge at 32amp so they won't notice when one out of the three PCS fails. They only notice the failure when two out of the three PCS fails and they can only charge at 16amp. By then it can be too late for some people because their basic warranty is up. Tesla screwed people out of warranty replacements by claiming the PCS is not part of the battery warranty.

Early Model 3 Standard Range owners got screwed by PCS failures. They can only charge at 32amp so they won't notice when one out of the three PCS fails. They only notice the failure when two out of the three PCS fails and they can only charge at 16amp. By then it can be too late for some people because their basic warranty is up. Tesla screwed people out of warranty replacements by claiming the PCS is not part of the battery warranty.
I think a car with a 32A OBC would only have 2 PCS. To put 3 would be a waste of parts that could be used for other cars (and a waste of money).