Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having a hard time deciding between the LR & Performance Model Y . Since they both have a 75KWH battery I assume that is both cars were driven at the same speed in the same conditions they would get the same range correct ? Or is there something different with the performance . I have watched a ton of videos and have seen both models get the same range

EX:
Performance - Drove 205 miles & got 327wh
LR - Drove 204 miles & got 323wh

Performance - Drove 87.7 miles & got 285wh
LR - Drove 88.1 miles & got 291 wh

I am having a hard time deciding between the LR & Performance Model Y . Since they both have a 75KWH battery I assume that is both cars were driven at the same speed in the same conditions they would get the same range correct ? Or is there something different with the performance . I have watched a ton of videos and have seen both models get the same range

EX:

Since they both have a 75KWH battery I assume that is both cars were driven at the same speed in the same conditions they would get the same range correct ?
======================
And had the same tires.

The Y performance has staggered 21 inch wheels. The long rang Y has either 19 or 20 inch wheels. These like likely the the cause of most of the range difference between the 2 cars. Also the larger wheels are more expensive to replace, are strictly “summer tires” and are difference sizes between the front and back.

I personally wanted the P but it didn’t come in a 7-seater and got the LWD car and love it. Was planning on getting the boost upgrade as soon as I picked up my car but after having it for a month-don’t really feel like I “need” it.

A LR with the $2k performance boost really is the better option for most drivers on the fence between LR and performance. The acceleration even without the boost is very quick. The 21s with the lower profile performance tires are going to get you a noticeably harsher ride quality than the 19's. I did the 20's and even those are at my personal limits for road harshness. Im contemplating buying the performance boost but to be honest, neither myself nor my wife find ourselves even using the full amount of acceleration that's available now. From a standstill, merging, passing. Its just so much torque avail at any time I cant say I ever really need to fully floor it at anytime.

EX:

I went with the Long Range. For me, range was the most important consideration. It's still the fastest car I've ever owned, and I've owned Mustang GTs. I tried the $2K boost, but felt while fun, I really didn't need it and the extra wear on the tires if/when I got on the accelerator. I tend to take it quite easy with my Y, so it's not something I kept.

I went with the Long Range. For me, range was the most important consideration. It's still the fastest car I've ever owned, and I've owned Mustang GTs. I tried the $2K boost, but felt while fun, I really didn't need it and the extra wear on the tires if/when I got on the accelerator. I tend to take it quite easy with my Y, so it's not something I kept.
How did you get rid of the acceleration boost? Is there a trial/demo period after which you can get it refunded?

The Y performance has staggered 21 inch wheels. The long rang Y has either 19 or 20 inch wheels. These like likely the the cause of most of the range difference between the 2 cars. Also the larger wheels are more expensive to replace, are strictly “summer tires” and are difference sizes between the front and back.

I personally wanted the P but it didn’t come in a 7-seater and got the LWD car and love it. Was planning on getting the boost upgrade as soon as I picked up my car but after having it for a month-don’t really feel like I “need” it.
Need? Need?!? What is this need you speak of? 😉

EX:

Actually the current Long Range Model Y and the Performance Model Y vehicles now come with an 82kWh battery with ~78kW usable capacity (when new). The additional 4kW of usable battery capacity, compared to the older battery pack, provides an additional ~15 miles of range. The EPA combined city/highway range estimate (303 miles) for the Performance Model Y is lower than the (326 miles) EPA combined range estimate for the Long Range Model Y. This estimate factors in the 21" Uberturbine wheels that come on the Performance Model Y. These wheel are each ~7 to 8 lbs heavier than the 19" wheels or 20" wheels that come on the Long Range Model Y. The heavier wheels would account for most of the lower range. The Performance Model Y is approximately 1.1" lower that the Long Range Model Y. The lowered stance could actually improve efficiency.

What are you basing your decision on? Range, $$$ or fun factor?

If you are about practical and saving a bunch of $, then I would say go for the LR AWD and maybe get the boost later on. You should test drive LR and performance back to back and see which one speaks to you. I came from Model 3 Stealth Performance, so LR AWD was never an option for me and in fact I feel that the Model Y performance is a bit too slow. Its all relative, but I suspect a lot of people that are on this fence should be getting the P version, as the buyers remorse is too much to bare.

• Helpful
Reactions: K5TRX and MGsurf
1. All P's come with 82KW, not sure if all LR do YET.
2. Ride on the LR is OK with the 19" can't imagine how bad it would be on a P with 21" etc....
3. I got the LR then got the boost(which is noticeable for sure and worth it if you want something in between)
4. Range difference between either will have to do with Tire size, weight and aero from being 1" lower

If you can don't care about tire cost, ride and just want fast, get the P.
If you want ok ride, cheaper tires and range get the LR
If you want a little faster get the AR boost.

I have a Performance and a Long Range. I commute 90 miles (each way) and I drive the Performance. My wife commutes 12 miles and she drives the LR.

After 24,603 miles, my Performance is averaging 271 wh/mi. And yes, I have used the 21” ubers the whole time. Although I did have to replace the rear tires at 15k miles. The fronts are still fine today.....

3EB8B24B-9334-4595-B510-8AECF45AA0E6.jpeg

I have a Performance and a Long Range. I commute 90 miles (each way) and I drive the Performance. My wife commutes 12 miles and she drives the LR.

After 24,603 miles, my Performance is averaging 271 wh/mi. And yes, I have used the 21” ubers the whole time. Although I did have to replace the rear tires at 15k miles. The fronts are still fine today.....

View attachment 657466
With the MYP, 271 Wh/mile what is your normal highway speed?

With the MYP, 271 Wh/mile what is your normal highway speed?
I don’t drive highway that often. When I do, I cruise between 75-80 mph. When traveling on the highway my wh/mi is always above 300... Probably closer to 350. However, my lifetime stats are better than usual because my commute is on 2 lane highway and I actually go over a mountain. The trip down the mountain is much more beneficial than the drain going up. My speed is mostly around 65 mph the whole time.....

90 miles each way? WOW.
What are you basing your decision on? Range, $$$ or fun factor?

If you are about practical and saving a bunch of $, then I would say go for the LR AWD and maybe get the boost later on. You should test drive LR and performance back to back and see which one speaks to you. I came from Model 3 Stealth Performance, so LR AWD was never an option for me and in fact I feel that the Model Y performance is a bit too slow. Its all relative, but I suspect a lot of people that are on this fence should be getting the P version, as the buyers remorse is too much to bare.
Have to ask. the 21" wheels and tires in NYC arent a harsh ride to you? (again, realizing that harsh to one person may be full comfort to another, but still..)

90 miles each way? WOW.

Have to ask. the 21" wheels and tires in NYC arent a harsh ride to you? (again, realizing that harsh to one person may be full comfort to another, but still..)

so here is what I did as soon as I got the car:

I switched the tires from stock to Michelin All Seasons:

Front stock 255/35/21 to 265/40/21
Rear stock 275/35/21 to 285/40/21

Here is the thread documenting everything:

I had tiny, tiny, tiny rub on the liner when turning the wheel, but after 1000 miles that is now gone. I would absolutely do it again and I think the diff in speedometer error is 4%, so marginally nothing. It gives me enough sidewall for the nasty NYC streets and have not had a dent /scrape / chip as of yet. In my opinion, there should have been the tires that Model Y P came with from the get go. I think from the brief tests I have done the efficiency was the same or even better than the stock tires.

The Standard Range (SR) Model Y (only sold off menu) has a smaller capacity (60kWh) battery pack than the Long Range or the Performance Model Y. The 60kWh battery is shared with the SR+ Model 3. Current information is that the 2021 Performance Model Y and Long Range Model Y currently come with the 82 kWh battery. If you include the SR Model Y then there are currently two different batteries used in the Model Y (in the US.)