Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y real range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you all really get? I seem to get about 70% or lesser of what the car says. My battery almost ran out when I went on a trip to Oklahoma (155 miles) after a full-charge. I have the long-range model. At the end of the trip, car just had 55 miles on it. We were shocked. I am wondering if this is what you all see or I have a lemon. I opened a couple of tickets with Tesla and they don't see anything wrong with it - hard for me to believe.
I don't drive rashly. I am an average driver and try to stick around 75 most of the time.

There is no harm in charging every day/night as Tesla recommends. If you drive the Tesla vehicle for only short trips, errands there is no harm in not charging every night. Every time you plug in this causes some wear on the charging equipment, charging cable, and charging connector and the Tesla vehicle's charging port. You can extend the life of these components through less frequent charging.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and DanDi58
Upvote 0
There is no harm in charging every day/night as Tesla recommends. If you drive the Tesla vehicle for only short trips, errands there is no harm in not charging every night. Every time you plug in this causes some wear on the charging equipment, charging cable, and charging connector and the Tesla vehicle's charging port. You can extend the life of these components through less frequent charging.
Have you seen any reports of old Model S cars with worn out connectors? Never heard of that.

Reactions: EmbersDC
Upvote 0
I did my first real "drive" (too short to call a road trip) and it was 120 miles. To be safe I charged up to 100% and hit the road. Averaged about 50 MPH on the longer stretch (hit a bit of traffic in the middle) but open road driving was 70-80 (which I know hurts the efficiency). I used about 47% of my charge (slight increase in elevation). So using that I would say my range is about 240miles, but that would be cutting it very close. Comfortably, 200 miles going 70-80. Driving slower will give better range.

View attachment 744262

Cool info there. What are you using to get this data and the visuals?

Upvote 0
From what I can tell, my Y loses about 1% per day. I calculated this the last time I left my car at the airport.

As for charging once a week, lithium batteries are negatively affected by charge cycles. If you charge every night, that’s 365 charge cycles a year. I charge once a week. That’s 52 charge cycles a year. I charge to 80% and charge when I get below 10%.
You are stating Tesla, the company who manufacturers the car, doesn't know what they are talking about when they say to charge each night?

Also, you're wrong about the charge cycle. If you top off each night it doesn't apply as a "charge cycle". The reason you think your "mileage" is poor is due to your lack of understanding of how to keep your Tesla charged. Also, a Tesla loses more than 1% a day parked. Again, Sentry alone uses 6% a day. Even if you turn it off at home it's only half the day. Waiting to charge the Tesla when it's down to 10% is the same mentally as treating a gas car which is wrong.

Consider reading and listening to the other posters here.

• Helpful
Reactions: cgell and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I have three friends who bought a Tesla S over four years ago. None of their charging equipment has issues and they charge nightly.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Upvote 0
I have three friends who bought a Tesla S over four years ago. None of their charging equipment has issues and they charge nightly.
The charging connector and charge port are special purpose plugs and receptacles. As with any plug/receptacle interconnect this equipment is subject to wear, corrosion and accidental damage. Charging pins can become bent or break off and insulators can crack. Manufacturers know this, make it easy to replace the charge port assembly if needed. It is not uncommon for the Tesla Mobile Connector in daily use to fail within 2 years (may be replaced by Tesla under the vehicle warranty.) If you check, you will find that the typical warranty for electric vehicle service equipment from first tier companies is 3 years.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Cool info there. What are you using to get this data and the visuals?
TeslaFi. It's a great tool that only pulls data from Tesla's systems. This reveals how much data they really are collecting (A/C Fan Speed, Avg/MAx vehicle speed, exactly where you have been driving, etc...). It's a little big brother-ish (so a bit eye opening), but I'm not doing anything I shouldn't so I'm fine with it.

Either way Tesla already has all of this data. :oops:

Reactions: chopper2585
Upvote 0
Charge cycles are pretty meaningless. In the stationary battery industry, warranties have shifted to total energy in/out, with pro-rating for energy use/charging outside perfect condition sweet spots (if users charged at too high or too low temps, that energy use can be subject to multipliers for total usage). Some are calling it "round trip mileage" as a nickname for the idea. Stop thinking about charge cycles, they don't mean much on their own.

Point is, you'll get the lifetime miles out of your battery, most likely, whether you top up after every drive, or charge once a week. Main thing is keep it between 20-80% most of the time, and don't worry about going over/under that once in a while, on road trips or weird times when you have no choice.

But charging once a week to 100% is not a good practice.

Reactions: EmbersDC
Upvote 0
I just set mine to 80% and plug it in each day. It charges at night when power is dirt cheap and hits 80% right before I leave for work. 80% is plenty for my needed daily range and gives better regen brakes in the winter compared to 85% or 90%. There's really no reason not to use 70% since the AB gives nearly full power as the SoC gets low.

My battery is down from 77.8 to 70 kWh, which is a bit below average for a 2020. My lifetime Wh/mi is 242, which is better than average, so it all works out.

My real average range at 100% is 70,000/242 = 289 miles. My car was rated at 316 when new, so I'm very happy with this.

I get my lowest Wh/mi in the spring and fall (of course). My Fall 2021 average was 235 Wh/mi, so I can go almost 300 real miles (not all highway, but mixed like my commute).

Keep in mind that the car hides the bottom 4.5%, so I'd show 0 miles at 276 miles. It's also worth noting that I precondition my car when plugged in, which doesn't show up in the Wh/mi.
20211220_201919.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just completed a trip from Vancouver Canada to Seattle and back. (~200KM or 125Miles each way)

Controls:
- 1 driver, 1 passenger
- seat warmer on setting 1 for both
- HVAC set at 20C (68F)
- Autopilot 90% of the time
- Only driving at posted speed limits. Either 65 or 70 MPH
- city for 60 min combined

1. Trip down. HUGE headwind. Very heavy rain. 2C (35F) outside. Averaged 245 wh/KM (394 Wh/mi). Had to super charge once because I was getting antsy but I think i still could’ve made it with 10-15% left.

2. Trip up. No rain, no wind, clear skies. 4C (39F). Averaged 188 wh/KM (302 wh/mi). Started off at 92% made it home at 39%.

Me thinks if the weather was warmer I will be posting EPA ranges or better unless I’m overlooking something.

Upvote 0
Don't stress it too much. Just make sure to know all the charging stations in route, and drive like it's made to drive! Floor it!(within speed limit of course)
When I first got my LR in July, I was so anxious and worried about battery life, but now, I know where I can charge, and I know what my cars can do, so I don't even worry about it too much. Unleash it, have fun, and plan accordingly.

Upvote 0
Sure, charging to 100% often can cause premature battery degradation.
But charging once a week to 80%, which is what I do, seems to violate ABC (always be charging). I keep my cars usually for 10 years so I’ll know at some point how I’m doing with my Y’s battery health

You are set in your ways. So nothing posted here will change your mind. I know three Tesla owners who've had their cars for four years. They charge each night. They have not lost much battery life. You are suppose to charge each night. It's how they are built. Charging your car as if it's a gas car is wrong. But, you do you. In the end you deal with the results.

I cap my charge at 85% and plug in each night. I don't have any issues like the ones you bring up, because that's how Tesla's are suppose to be maintained (per Tesla).

Reactions: Rocky_H and DanDi58
Upvote 0
Sure, charging to 100% often can cause premature battery degradation.
But charging once a week to 80%, which is what I do, seems to violate ABC (always be charging). I keep my cars usually for 10 years so I’ll know at some point how I’m doing with my Y’s battery health.
Cool. You had mentioned your 100% range. Yeah, I don't think you'll be able to see any more or less battery life than anyone else, your charging is fine.

If you are daily preheating your car with battery only, that can impact the immediate range, and affects the overall battery life, but probably not anything to worry about.

I choose to only preheat in the morning when plugged in, but I still preheat in the afternoon before leaving work on battery only, so we'll probably see really similar battery performance.

Upvote 0