Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Ended (Not Mine)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this online, think it is totaled? Doesn't look like rear facing 7 seater would be that safe?

Multiple Vehicles Damaged, Injuries Reported in Series of Hit-Run Collisions on Highway 101

060820-Highway-101-Hit-Run-jp-2000x1333_2400_1600_80_s_c1.jpg

Found this online, think it is totaled? Doesn't look like rear facing 7 seater would be that safe?

1. Tesla hasn't said that the 7 seater will have rear facing seats. The one they showed at the release wasn't. (The people exited from the rear doors not the hatch.
  2. In the Model S they added additional reinforcement to the rear of the car for cars with rear facing seats.
So I don't think you can estimate safety from that.

1. Tesla hasn't said that the 7 seater will have rear facing seats. The one they showed at the release wasn't. (The people exited from the rear doors not the hatch.
  2. In the Model S they added additional reinforcement to the rear of the car for cars with rear facing seats.
So I don't think you can estimate safety from that.

Wasn't there a leaked photo showing the 3rd row seats facing forward? Looking at that rear end collision photo, I could see why they opted for forward facing seats.

Yes, I know they are facing forward from the pictures. I was just proposing that IF they were rear facing that I feel that it may not be as safe from looking at the picture.

Granted I don't know the whole story (e.g. how severely the MY was hit, what speed the truck was going during collision, whether the MY was stopped or moving forward, etc) but for what I see, the MY held up pretty well compared to the other car. Yes it is a total, but the rear was not pushed into the back seats. Condolences out the Y's owner, hopefully everyone in this situation was ok.

Just when I'm having faith in humanity again, stuff like this happens. :(

Multiple Vehicles Damaged, Injuries Reported in Series of Hit-Run Collisions on Highway 101

060820-Highway-101-Hit-Run-jp-2000x1333_2400_1600_80_s_c1.jpg
I'm really surprised by how small the 3's brake lights are. I'm assuming they are the same on the Y. Will be interesting to see stats on rear endings of these vehicles. I feel like this, in conjunction with the regenerative braking and the lights not showing at all -- will increase such. I can't see buying the 7 seater and putting anyone in those seats.

You know, one thing I don't like about the Model 3/Y are the tiny rear brake lights. Do you guys think this contributes to rear ends? Both those crashes look like they are in bright mid-day light.

People have to be paying attention to notice brake lights, no matter how large or bright. The Model 3/Y also have the third brake light in rear glass...so I don't think Tesla's implementation raises the chances of a rear-end collision.

To add, rear-end collisions are the most common type of accident in the US (29%). I'd say that distracted driving and a lack of standard collision avoidance is the biggest factor at play here.

I'm really surprised by how small the 3's brake lights are. I'm assuming they are the same on the Y. Will be interesting to see stats on rear endings of these vehicles. I feel like this, in conjunction with the regenerative braking and the lights not showing at all -- will increase such. I can't see buying the 7 seater and putting anyone in those seats.
The brake lights DO come on during regenerative braking.

Reactions: jsight