Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Ended - Others Experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: They are taking the car apart with the insurance person now. The rep from the collision place said it was a lot of structural damage. My biggest concern continues to be it being just shy of totaled (really don't want a car with $40K-50K in repaired damage). Should hear from insurance by Monday on what it looks like.

Additionally, they did issue a check for the car seats as well. Haven't received yet, but they did fully cover the replacement cost.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Check your states laws for total loss calculations.
In MN, where I am, it is:
A car is considered a total loss in Minnesota when the cost of repairs plus the salvage value is at least 80% of the vehicle's actual cash value. Actual cash value refers to how much the car was worth immediately before the damage, while the salvage value is the car's worth in its damaged state.

Looking online a 2020 Model Y LR with 9,000 miles on it is worth $65K - $70K. I have no idea how much to expect for salvaged value, I looked on https://www.copart.com/ and saw one sell for $25K and another sitting at $16.5K with a few hours left. Anyone have ideas as to what to expect?

If I use pessimistic round numbers (high actual value, low salvage value), there could be around $40K in repairs without totaling it.
($70K * 0.8) = $56K - $16.5K = $39.5K in repairs

In MN, where I am, it is:

Looking online a 2020 Model Y LR with 9,000 miles on it is worth $65K - $70K. I have no idea how much to expect for salvaged value, I looked on https://www.copart.com/ and saw one sell for $25K and another sitting at $16.5K with a few hours left. Anyone have ideas as to what to expect?

If I use pessimistic round numbers (high actual value, low salvage value), there could be around $40K in repairs without totaling it.
($70K * 0.8) = $56K - $16.5K = $39.5K in repairs

This kind of damage usually costs over $15K to repair at a certified shop. Likely to get totaled. A car like this is likely to sell for about $25k on Copart. If you have an option to buy it back from an insurance company let me know my buddy may he interested in it.

Sorry to hear about the accident. I had similar collision but more damage. My MY 2020 got rear-ended on a FWY in CA; the impact was so high that my car bumped into the car ahead of me causing multiple collisions. Fortunately, I didn’t suffer any injuries. It’s an amazing car that sacrificed itself to protect me. The repair cost estimate came around 46K and my insurance company evaluated it to be total loss. So, they totaled the car and paid me the current car market value 75K. It was considered Not-At-Fault collision for me. It was disheartening for me to see my car RIP.
Which insurance did you have at the time?