Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Reverse UFO Sound Change/Disable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My concern with PWS is that the forward PWS is barely audible whereas the rearward PWS distinctive and can be heard. I took it in for service and the techs said the PWS is operating according to spec. From several incidents with pedestrians in parking lots, I have clearly snuck up on them and startled them. It may be operating according to spec, but pedestrians can not hear me coming in parking lots.

Reactions: Hinxster
In forward IT IS NEEDED because pedestrians in parking lots ARE NOT hearing a car approaching -- the whole reason behind the NHTSA regulation.
I believe Tesla is in compliance with the NHTSA mandate. There are very specific ranges the sound has to be in. I'll link the NHTSA white paper below
Passive noise emitter, on Tesla, is much louder in reverse. I think it's barely audible forward.

The manual active, infinitely variable duration noise emitter works just fine for forward projecting alerts though.

• Disagree
Reactions: coleman567
I wouldn't unplug it. It would open you up to an uninsurable liability if you backed into someone.
reversing still have sound as subtle tire rotation grinds the sand like dirt on the road and people can hear it. My tires are Goodyear Max Life (85,000mi warranty) is not the quietest of all tires. unless intentionally doing so, backing into someone is very slim to no chance as my back up cameras and US Sensors warning still gives audible sound in the car and you as the driver hears that, prompts you to stop.

if you have not heard Hyundai Kona EV's artificial sound, it is very loud, probably as loud as an Ice Cream truck (without the melody tune). You could scare a flock of birds hanging on the powerlines when its on.

earlier EV cars like my 2019 that adopted to this feature probably just want to comply with mandates but does not know how loud they need to be. clearly ICE cars can be more quiet than my KONA EV.

the Quiet car rule indicates EV must have artificial noise while traveling under 18MPH . Tesla Model 3 stops making this sound above 15MPH.
CA residential speed limits are 25MPH limit in general. If you travel at the speed limit (25PMH) your not making sounds anyways.

I believe Tesla is in compliance with the NHTSA mandate. There are very specific ranges the sound has to be in. I'll link the NHTSA white paper below
Passive noise emitter, on Tesla, is much louder in reverse. I think it's barely audible forward.

The manual active, infinitely variable duration noise emitter works just fine for forward projecting alerts though.

Well, it's not just Tesla. I've heard the same sound levels from other EV's/Hybrids.

Reactions: Yelobird
reversing still have sound as subtle tire rotation grinds the sand like dirt on the road and people can hear it. My tires are Goodyear Max Life (85,000mi warranty) is not the quietest of all tires. unless intentionally doing so, backing into someone is very slim to no chance as my back up cameras and US Sensors warning still gives audible sound in the car and you as the driver hears that, prompts you to stop.

if you have not heard Hyundai Kona EV's artificial sound, it is very loud, probably as loud as an Ice Cream truck (without the melody tune). You could scare a flock of birds hanging on the powerlines when its on.

earlier EV cars like my 2019 that adopted to this feature probably just want to comply with mandates but does not know how loud they need to be. clearly ICE cars can be more quiet than my KONA EV.

the Quiet car rule indicates EV must have artificial noise while traveling under 18MPH . Tesla Model 3 stops making this sound above 15MPH.
CA residential speed limits are 25MPH limit in general. If you travel at the speed limit (25PMH) your not making sounds anyways.

The point is simply disabling a mandatory safety device and someone doesn't hear you backing up and then getting hit - opens you up to liability.

The noise emitter is not for speed limit travel. The reason no sound emitter is required above 18mph is because the majority of noise above that is from tire noise with any car.

The entire purpose of the EV noise emitter is pedestrian interaction below that threshold.

• Disagree
Reactions: coleman567
I understand they do this because its an EV and you want people to hear it, but its WAY louder than most gas cars (Unless you're driving a car with an aftermarket exhaust or huge engine) which dont require a sound to be played

I get why people want to decrease the volume of this. Backing up early in the morning or leaving late at night, I'd prefer the car to be quieter.

I understand they do this because its an EV and you want people to hear it, but its WAY louder than most gas cars (Unless you're driving a car with an aftermarket exhaust or huge engine) which dont require a sound to be played

I get why people want to decrease the volume of this. Backing up early in the morning or leaving late at night, I'd prefer the car to be quieter.
There is a decibel level requirement. I don't know if Tesla is well above that or meets that requirement. I agree it should only be at the min required level.

There is a decibel level requirement. I don't know if Tesla is well above that or meets that requirement. I agree it should only be at the min required level.
Yes, it's between 56 and 74 decibels I believe.

And for those that have disabled the sounds, I'd certainly hate for you to hit someone who is visually impaired or elderly, who can't necessarily react quickly, if you don't see them, especially when reversing. Seems a little selfish to remove a mandated safety feature that you may not like but may benefit others. I assume you wouldn't think to disable the passenger airbag when your loved one is in the seat. Flame away.