Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Reverse UFO Sound Change/Disable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a new Model Y (2023 pickup) and when I reverse it makes some sound like a UFO, I understand this is a "warning sound" but can it be disabled or even changed to a custom sound?

If so can someone tell me how please. Its nice and all but a UFO sound isn't something I like and it would be nice to stop or change.

Thanks

No, this is the Pedestrian Warning System and it is required by NHTSA. At one time it had extra FUN-ctionality but Tesla was required to remove that.

Edit: Just realized you are in the UK, perhaps different laws apply there, but in the US, the NHTSA made Tesla standardize how it works.

Take out frunk.
Look down(and over) for the speaker, unplug.

Alternatively, remove wheel / wheel liner. Reach in, disconnect.

Get Rcompound tires and let the noise of rocks be your ped warning.

Also, “U-Turn” taught us all that sneaking up on a mother fornicator is what hybrid/Ev’s were meant to be for.

/nothing in this post was serious. Except how to remove that annoying little speaker from your life.

Hi,

I have a new Model Y (2023 pickup) and when I reverse it makes some sound like a UFO, I understand this is a "warning sound" but can it be disabled or even changed to a custom sound?

If so can someone tell me how please. Its nice and all but a UFO sound isn't something I like and it would be nice to stop or change.

Thanks

Legally? no, its required. Technically? yes, there are some threads here on physically disconnecting it, etc.

(like this one)

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
Thank you all for the posts.

I don't mind a sound for reversing but been able to change it would be nice, not everyone likes the UFO

I understand what you are saying, but you are overlooking a key fact here. The sound isnt "for you". Its a warning that your car is moving, for other people. Given human nature, if its configurable, it would take about .0000005 seconds before people started having offensive sounds coming out of their car, or things "they" think are funny, etc.

So, yeah, you may not like the sound, but it isnt for you, its for the people around you.

Now, if you want to work around it, I pointed out one of the threads here on doing that, and there are others, but I think its important to realize that the sound is for others, not you.

I purchased a 2023 Model Y in March. There are videos online that tell you how to disable the Pedestrian Warning System by unplugging the speaker. However, there is a major problem in doing so for 2023 models -- apparently, they now use the same speaker for the horn. When I unplugged the speaker, the horn no longer worked and I received a continuous error notice onscreen telling me the horn doesn't work and I should take the car in for service.

Another solution is to tape over the speaker, which should reduce the noise by a few decibels. The speaker is beneath the front of the car on the passenger side.

I don't mind the UFO sound, since I'm only in reverse for short periods. And I think it's good to make my movement known to pedestrians around me. It's the horn sound upon locking that bothers me. With a speaker, why not create a more pleasant lock confirmation sound? Or allow it to be configurable with a few options? For example, Rivian's lock confirmation sound is a subtle chirping sound, almost like crickets.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yuki Feng
I don't mind the UFO sound, since I'm only in reverse for short periods. And I think it's good to make my movement known to pedestrians around me. It's the horn sound upon locking that bothers me. With a speaker, why not create a more pleasant lock confirmation sound? Or allow it to be configurable with a few options? For example, Rivian's lock confirmation sound is a subtle chirping sound, almost like crickets.
Pretty sure you Can dissable horn confirm on lock.

I purchased a 2023 Model Y in March. There are videos online that tell you how to disable the Pedestrian Warning System by unplugging the speaker. However, there is a major problem in doing so for 2023 models -- apparently, they now use the same speaker for the horn. When I unplugged the speaker, the horn no longer worked and I received a continuous error notice onscreen telling me the horn doesn't work and I should take the car in for service.

Another solution is to tape over the speaker, which should reduce the noise by a few decibels. The speaker is beneath the front of the car on the passenger side.
Why???

some of the premium luxury cars are even more quiet than the EVs that has external sound generator. I have a 2019 Kona EV and the noise it generates aggravates my Tinnitus for some reason and is very annoying. so in short, I unplugged it.

I know they said all EV/Hybrid vehicles sold in US after September 2019 will now be required to have this equipped. not sure if the require the older ones like mine since I took delivery on March of 2019 and sure is my car is quiet now...(that is after unplugging the sound generator). So far I don't have any issues being heard as my tire's noise are loud enough for my neighbors to hear.

one problem is that when I am backing out of parking lot, people doesn't notice me (backing light on but no sound), so I ended up just waiting for them to move out of the way. other than that, all of my pedestrian warnings works and signals me to stop and have a second look.

I understand what you are saying, but you are overlooking a key fact here. The sound isnt "for you". Its a warning that your car is moving, for other people. Given human nature, if its configurable, it would take about .0000005 seconds before people started having offensive sounds coming out of their car, or things "they" think are funny, etc.

So, yeah, you may not like the sound, but it isnt for you, its for the people around you.

Now, if you want to work around it, I pointed out one of the threads here on doing that, and there are others, but I think its important to realize that the sound is for others, not you.
Tesla had to 'recall' their software because they added a feature to allow users to replace the horn with a fart sound.

Reactions: fholbert