Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof flew off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do believe they need to update the software with a new warning message. Lol I really cant believe this there is no excuse!

D113193E-EF11-4C81-8706-9E445C68CBE8.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
Colour me as highly skeptical!!

This reminds me of the Tesla battery fire - when examination showed that somebody had lifted the interior panels and shot the battery with a gun

I suspect this was all set up by somebody who had shorted the stock and was desperately trying to drive the price down to avoid losing money

I will wait until Tesla examine the car and publish a report

The one thing I loathed about possibly owning a Tesla is the Fandom that I have watched and read about for years. I didn't want to become a member of Tesla Fanboy Mafia. I understand being excited about the brand, but the blind loyalty turned me off. I consider myself brand agnostic. I am not brand loyal and I realize all makes/models have their issues. What I have never experienced with any other brand is the fanboy blind loyalty that results in personal attacks that are baseless, just to defend the Tesla brand.

Anyway, I still have my MY order on hold. I'm sure the fanboys are wanting to tell me to go buy an Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Toyota/Honda et al since my standards are probably too high. I'm supposed to forgive poor workmanship in order to get the awesome battery tech, right? I can't have both at this time in Telsa's growth, that much seems apparent to me.

I'd be forgiving of some of the shoddy workmanship and quality if I had confidence the service centers would correct the issues, but there sure are a lot of worrisome stories of things being Within Spec that just don't look acceptable.
For a guy who doesn’t own a Tesla you sure are on here commenting a lot.

Reactions: israndy
I wouldn't rule out sabotage on the factory floor - that has certainly happened at other auto manufacturers. I remember one incident in particular where a factory worker at GM was found to be tossing bolts into random places so a car would rattle. And apparently other workers would just be sloppy (because they were unhappy, or incompetent). Certainly Tesla has the expertise to track who participates in the assembly of every car, have people who do inspections of critical operations, and hopefully they make an honest attempt to listen to and keep their workers happy.

2018 M3 MR

Reactions: jsight
For a guy who doesn’t own a Tesla you sure are on here commenting a lot.

yes, I'm trying to LEARN about the car I am PLANNING on buying rather than buying BLINDLY and then finding out what a POS the car actually is

And NO, I'm not calling it a POS since I don't OWN one YET since I've told Tesla to hold my order at this time.

Researching a large ticket item before purchasing is a PRUDENT thing to do rather than get caught surprised by KNOWN issues after buying.

If I bought the MY back in June when it was ready for me, and I never visited car forums, I'd be possibly stuck with a multi-colored white MY with misaligned panels since I would have never thought I would have to look for these defects in a brand new car.

Then would you be replying to my posts complaining about my MY that has 6 different shades of white on the 4 doors and bumpers and telling me that I should have known about this issue?

Why did you feel you needed to post a comment to me?

Officially confirmed
I don’t see anything official in that article. They only interview the alleged occupants, who also appear to have clear opinions on what a Tesla is, which makes me wonder why you would choose a Tesla if you believe it’s shoddy. No official word from Tesla.

has the fallen glass roof been found yet?

original poster Nathaniel Chien, who seems to be a comp sci student at stanford, claimed that:

1: roof flew off, but he only have a 3 sec video, also 1 picture that is completely over-exposed. an iphone 1 can take a better pic than that.
2: he said car paperwork flew out the car along with the roof
3: he claimed after driving back to the delivery center, he said tesla didn't compensate them with free FSD, or free Performance upgrade. hmmm... what kinda entitlement is that? even if this "roof-gate" isn't a hoax, they want tesla to offer him $8000.
4: he claimed that, he and his parents were SHOCKED that roof flew off, but kept driving the car, did not find a safe spot to pull over.
5: with the sketchy "evidence", he immediately goes on social media and news outlet.

yea, anyone who believes this guy, earth is flat, aliens are among us, we live in the matrix, yada yada yada.

to Nathaniel's professor, yea his dog ate his project, also swallowed his only usb backup drive, also broke his laptop, also burned down his house. just let him graduate with A plus.

The one thing I loathed about possibly owning a Tesla is the Fandom that I have watched and read about for years. I didn't want to become a member of Tesla Fanboy Mafia. I understand being excited about the brand, but the blind loyalty turned me off. I consider myself brand agnostic. I am not brand loyal and I realize all makes/models have their issues. What I have never experienced with any other brand is the fanboy blind loyalty that results in personal attacks that are baseless, just to defend the Tesla brand.

Anyway, I still have my MY order on hold. I'm sure the fanboys are wanting to tell me to go buy an Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Toyota/Honda et al since my standards are probably too high. I'm supposed to forgive poor workmanship in order to get the awesome battery tech, right? I can't have both at this time in Telsa's growth, that much seems apparent to me.

I'd be forgiving of some of the shoddy workmanship and quality if I had confidence the service centers would correct the issues, but there sure are a lot of worrisome stories of things being Within Spec that just don't look acceptable.
There are two big problems I have had owning a Tesla. The first is awful, overworked "customer service" that is nearly impossible to get a hold of. Obviously a problem if you want to get the many warranty repairs your car needs done. Also, good luck calling them, the mobile app is your only real choice to have a shot at getting any reply at all. Just to cover my butt from fanboys, yes I know not all service centers are bad, and maybe your 300,000 mile 2013 Model S has never needed service once. Please spare me, I'm talking about MY experience.

The second is as you mentioned, the fanboys. Oh boy are they painful. If you try to talk about a problem you have, they will for sure leap onto you and attempt to insinuate you must be the car version of a hypochondriac or imagining things. Even with this glass roof issue, you can see them coming out of the woodwork to posit that perhaps the video is faked and it's a hoax? Really people, what are we, flat earthers? Why on earth would this dude waste his time making a doctored video and picture? Lemme guess, he was paid to do it by big oil or one of the big 3 auto manufacturers? No, maybe he is a Tesla shorter? :p

All that being said, the car is phenomenal and truly amazing to drive if you can look past all the bad build quality and poor support. I highly recommend buying a 3 or Y, just be sure you know what you're potentially getting into.

I dont doubt the claim, but there are a few checkpoints like car being transported, car being washed prior to delivery, that would have caught this in one form or another,

Even if the car was damaged the roof would not come off. With significant damage the glass would be broken or the roof frame bent. Most likely the adhesive was greatly under applied, or there was no adhesive used at all.

My understanding is the the Model Y roof is structural. If that's true then the design of the glass and glue to resist shear forces would far exceed what is need to keep the roof on the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy and Hrtme
If you do not check the product you produce at the end of the line then this will keep happening again and again. There has to be a decent responsibility here. All sorts of issues are being passed down to the customer, a simple multi point physical inspection as it leaves the end of the line. I wonder what else would have to go wrong for this to be put in place.

They need a warning label on the fart app, "REPEATED USE MAY BLOW THE ROOF OFF".. Also "trips to Moe's Monday half price burrito special could have an immediate impact to roof and the white interior, proceed with caution".

I think this thread is kinda funny, I've had wheels come off after brake service in my FJ and it didn't get national attention. I didn't post videos, I didn't call the media, I called Toyota- they freaked (wouldn't admit anything), but they fixed everything at no cost. (new studs, new nuts, wheel survived somehow. Months later another stud seared off and screwed my brakes up, they fixed that too (they didn't replace all the studs and should have the first time).

Tesla must love all this free advertising. The best thing they could do is come out an hold a media event while they hand the keys of brand new car to customer and donate the used one to an eco cause.

Reactions: gunthermic