Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y shipped without charging port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh absolutely I agree with you that the communication level from Tesla needs to go up big time.

Reading across different forums; it is quite evident that we all are missing the charge port ECU. It is Tesla customer support habit to hide facts from the customer and they give out a vague part name (based off caller's level of inquisitiveness).

Agreed that the situation could change between a day or two (as it changed with your car), but what pisses me off is the golden silence from Tesla about this entire situation.

I am sure that with all their technological advancement, the least they can do is to give us a confirmed date for the delivery of the vehicle (upon getting a confirmed delivery date from the vendor and adding reasonable shipping time).

All of us here would have been a bit comfortable if we had some news for the delivery dates or progress status on the parts/retrofit, rather than being left out in the open (as our cars sitting out under the sun without the damn part).
The thing is they wouldn't have a confirmed date because the vendor may not necessarily have one either. The supply chain is seriously messed up right now. So it's either silence or "I don't know", or they make up a date to placate those that constantly inquire. The latter option has the issue of some people taking that date as solid and then making decisions based on it, which can turn out quite bad when the car isn't ready by that time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silence88
The thing is they wouldn't have a confirmed date because the vendor may not necessarily have one either. The supply chain is seriously messed up right now. So it's either silence or "I don't know", or they make up a date to placate those that constantly inquire. The latter option has the issue of some people taking that date as solid and then making decisions based on it, which can turn out quite bad when the car isn't ready by that time.
I don't buy that at all. Are you telling me that two days before my vehicle was completed (the last time I asked and was told we don't know) no one in Tesla knew that parts were on the way to or already at my delivery center because of supply chain issues? Furthermore, if they found parts to build new vehicles they should be able to ship out parts for vehicles that are missing them in a timely fashion. Some people have been waiting almost a month with payment coming due on cars they don't have and previous cars sold in anticipation the new arrival. A month of "we don't know" is not a reasonable answer. Yes, the supply chain is causing problems, but the customer experience here is this bad because Tesla does not care to make it better.

I don't buy that at all. Are you telling me that two days before my vehicle was completed (the last time I asked and was told we don't know) no one in Tesla knew that parts were on the way to or already at my delivery center because of supply chain issues? Furthermore, if they found parts to build new vehicles they should be able to ship out parts for vehicles that are missing them in a timely fashion. Some people have been waiting almost a month with payment coming due on cars they don't have and previous cars sold in anticipation the new arrival. A month of "we don't know" is not a reasonable answer. Yes, the supply chain is causing problems, but the customer experience here is this bad because Tesla does not care to make it better.
Agree in totality.

Even with the shortages, they could ration the parts between producing new cars and the ones already held up at delivery centers. Both customers should be equally important for Tesla.

I am sure that at Tesla's, they have better insight into firm timelines....the big issue being their secretiveness towards the customer.

To compensate all waiting customers, they could announce a freebie accessory or give away free super charger miles. A happy customer is the backbone of any successful enterprise

They know what part is required, but they may not have a "confirmed" date from the supplier. Certainly not something you can give to customers to rely on it as "confirmed" (it ends up in disaster like upthread of people paying for a loan based on date given). Unless the part is already on a shipment to the store (meaning it's already on the final truck delivery step and is loaded on the truck, meaning a max of a week away), they can't rely on any dates given by suppliers.

The factory getting some parts in also does not necessarily mean they have enough to cover everyone.

A month really is nothing with the supply issues right now. In my work I have some insight on some of the parts supply issues affecting the electronics industry, and being given a date and then it being pushed back a month or more is very commonly seen (this is on top of the parts being already delayed in the first place; before the pandemic supply crunch, this basically never happens). In other threads, you have people saying they have cars from other brands that are in for repair and waiting for months for a part.

You insisting on a date just pushes an SA to give you a made up date to placate you.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: afscotch and RVA03
For what it is worth, my SA in Owens Mills, MD told me today that he was told there are about 800 MYs sitting in Tesla service centers around the country waiting for the back ordered charging port part to be delivered. The service centers with the largest number of affected cars (largely on the west coast) are being given priority as the part becomes available. SCs with a smaller number of affected cars (25 in my case) are lower down in the priority list with no information about possible delivery times.

Our MYLR was ordered 11/1/21, 1st delivery date scheduled was 5/4/22, which had to be canceled due to missing charge port part. I asked for clarification of exactly what part we were waiting for, and was told it was the charge port's ECU. The part arrived last week, and we were told 1st date we could accept delivery was 5/22. Took delivery 5/23. We are in greater Boston area. There is hope, the ECU's are now being shipped to SC's!

Our MYLR was ordered 11/1/21, 1st delivery date scheduled was 5/4/22, which had to be canceled due to missing charge port part. I asked for clarification of exactly what part we were waiting for, and was told it was the charge port's ECU. The part arrived last week, and we were told 1st date we could accept delivery was 5/22. Took delivery 5/23. We are in greater Boston area. There is hope, the ECU's are now being shipped to SC's!
Thank you for the update! Glad to hear there is forward progress on this around the country. What are the first 3 numbers after the "F" in your VIN? Mine is F419XXX. I am just curious if yours was built in the same lot as mine.

For what it is worth, my SA in Owens Mills, MD told me today that he was told there are about 800 MYs sitting in Tesla service centers around the country waiting for the back ordered charging port part to be delivered. The service centers with the largest number of affected cars (largely on the west coast) are being given priority as the part becomes available. SCs with a smaller number of affected cars (25 in my case) are lower down in the priority list with no information about possible delivery times.
800 seems to be less in number. Tesla shouldn't take these much of time to fix it considering all the new builds doesn't have this issue !!
Any other SCs got it other than the Baltimore MD area ?
Hope the ECU's are shipped soon to other SCs!

My Tesla sales associate just reached out and said that the Orlando location is expecting to receive the charging port ECU parts this weekend. Still do hard set delivery date though. I guess they somehow now have tracking and eyesight on the parts now? Either way, looks like parts are arriving in across the country to the service centers. Hang in there everyone who has their car in a holding lot for the past month!