Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR has 980 Motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a 980 also opens up the opportunity for some performance updates if Tesla does release one like they did for the Model 3 or 3rd party "Ghost" unlocks. I believe this motor also has a bigger inverter to drive it as well. Wondering if any other SR owners have the same motor as well?

Reactions: zpaul
When you take off your rear driver side wheel you can see the engine from the axle. There should be a plate on it which will tell you.
hmm i might try to check it out with out moving the tire. I had a odb and the cable but i sent it back because i only wanted to check the battery. I took screen shots of that but nothing else!

When you take off your rear driver side wheel you can see the engine from the axle. There should be a plate on it which will tell you.

Wait, it you can "see" the motor, doesn't that mean it's not protected from the environment?

I suppose ICE cars have visible motors, but I guess I just suspected the motor in an EV was contained inside the bodywork

It looks like this, but says 980.
20200928_115729.jpg

20200928_115616.jpg

I saw a video where a Model 3 owner showed the motor identification plate without removing the wheel. He just stuck the camera back there. Might try this on my Jan 26 2021 SR Model Y.

Without an official (or unofficial) software unlock / upgrade, is there any immediate benefit to having the 980 instead of the 990?