Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it normal for my 2023 RWD to have a 980 motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model 3 RWD built in Fremont in December, and I just discovered that it has a 980 motor. Is that normal? I thought Tesla were only using 980 in the Performance and were using 990 or 1780 in the cheaper cars?

More specifically, it’s the 3D1 variant of the 980 motor.

Attachments

• 0476A5DE-36FC-4AFC-AC0F-D6BE217C32C4.jpeg
    0476A5DE-36FC-4AFC-AC0F-D6BE217C32C4.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
If the RWD uses a performance motor, why is it so slow* 0-60? Artificially limited? LFP battery not up to it?

* Slowest of all Teslas being sold now at 5.8 sec 0-60. The original Model S 60 RWD was a little slower from 0-60.
Reducing the number of variations of motors to streamline manufacturing\assembly and control the operating dynamics through software for each model trim sounds like what Tesla would do.

It could also be due to parts shortage, like how they are installing matrix\global headlights on non-P trim models, not because they want to, because they have to.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mr_Joe and mpgxsvcd
In theory, since the weight of the 2023 RWD is almost exactly the same as the discontinued LR RWD, and the motor in mine is the same, it should be able to do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds like LR RWD could (assuming the battery can provide enough power, but I suspect it can since it only needs to power a single motor). I reached out to Ingenext and they said they are working on a module to unlock additional motor performance in newer RWD cars with LFP batteries🤞.

Last edited:
* Slowest of all Teslas being sold now at 5.8 sec 0-60. The original Model S 60 RWD was a little slower from 0-60.
* Slowest of all Teslas being sold now in the US.

The Model Y standard range RWD that used to be sold in the US and is still sold in other parts of the world is slower.

Also, even though the Model 3 RWD may be "slow" by Tesla standards, it's important to remember that it's still one of the quickest base model / single motor EVs available.

ID.4 RWD: 7.6s
Ioniq 5 RWD: 7.4-8.3s
Ioniq 6 RWD: 7.2-8.5s
EV6 RWD: 7.1-8.2s
Polestar 2 FWD: 7.0s
Bolt: 6.5s
Mach-e RWD: 5.8-6.1s
i4 eDrive35: 5.8s

Last edited:
I have a 2023 Model 3 RWD built in Fremont in December, and I just discovered that it has a 980 motor. Is that normal? I thought Tesla were only using 980 in the Performance and were using 990 or 1780 in the cheaper cars?

More specifically, it’s the 3D1 variant of the 980 motor.
All 3 and Y have the same rear motor AFAIK. The 980 # you are looking at is for the Drive Unit (DU).

PS. The 990 DU has a scaled down/less costly inverter for the non P AWD cars, since they have the front DU to help share the load.

All 3 and Y have the same rear motor AFAIK. The 980 # you are looking at is for the Drive Unit (DU).

PS. The 990 DU has a scaled down/less costly inverter for the non P AWD cars, since they have the front DU to help share the load.
Do I understand it correctly then the motors are the same but the inverter is what's different from 980 990 plaque?

Reactions: Olle
My Nov build ‘23 M3LR has the 980 3D1 rear motor also, which is meant for the Performance. This same conversation is happening in the Model Y forum. It appears Tesla is retooling the motor lines and using whatever motors they have available at the time of production. The new 4D1 motor has started to show up in the MYP.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
How do? I have 2019 lr rwd and i wish I go the dual motor instead of counting Pennie’s
@Rottenapplr Well, for the original Model S the RWD ones with lighter frontend handle better. I can feel the difference in the turns. On a twisty road I'd rather drive my RWD P85 than a P100D. Best handling one was the RWD P85+.

I've only driven RWD Model 3 a handful of miles total over the years, and not really hard/fast. A 2018 M3LR RWD definitely handles better than a stock 2021 M3LR AWD (regular or Performance) but a lot of that is from the suspension tuning, so with my limited RWD Model 3 experience it's difficult for me to say how much benefit is from the lighter frontend. I haven't driven a 2021+ RWD with the new softer suspension tuning. That would be a more direct comparison. (I've driven a lot of Model S over the years.)

@Rottenapplr Well, for the original Model S the RWD ones with lighter frontend handle better. I can feel the difference in the turns. On a twisty road I'd rather drive my RWD P85 than a P100D. Best handling one was the RWD P85+.

I've only driven RWD Model 3 a handful of miles total over the years, and not really hard/fast. A 2018 M3LR RWD definitely handles better than a stock 2021 M3LR AWD (regular or Performance) but a lot of that is from the suspension tuning, so with my limited RWD Model 3 experience it's difficult for me to say how much benefit is from the lighter frontend. I haven't driven a 2021+ RWD with the new softer suspension tuning. That would be a more direct comparison. (I've driven a lot of Model S over the years.)
If I get my suspension fixed at Tesla will my 2019 get the softer suspension? I frankly want a comfy ride.