Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension and Ride Comfort Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Martian makes 18" wheels for even more comfort.
We were leaning toward that but we already had the 19's so an easy tire swap. My wife got the wheels as a present for me. I think even over the 19" Geminis, we saved about 9 pounds per wheel. So basically from about 30 to 21. Not sure how much exactly as our scale isn't the most accurate at low weights but even the tire installer how came out to mount them commented on how much lighter they weighed than the stock.

While I wouldn't have minded going with the 18's to save even more weight, they might have looked too small on the MY. In the end, we are both very happy with how it turned out. Wasn't really sure if we would like the looks on the car but surprisingly even my wife really likes the improved appearance.

I would definitely encourage anyone to try the lighter wheels before the suspension mods, especially if you are considering both.

We were leaning toward that but we already had the 19's so an easy tire swap. My wife got the wheels as a present for me. I think even over the 19" Geminis, we saved about 9 pounds per wheel. So basically from about 30 to 21. Not sure how much exactly as our scale isn't the most accurate at low weights but even the tire installer how came out to mount them commented on how much lighter they weighed than the stock.

While I wouldn't have minded going with the 18's to save even more weight, they might have looked too small on the MY. In the end, we are both very happy with how it turned out. Wasn't really sure if we would like the looks on the car but surprisingly even my wife really likes the improved appearance.

I would definitely encourage anyone to try the lighter wheels before the suspension mods, especially if you are considering both.
So 19" martians 8.5 or 9.5?

I did the 8.5". Still working out great. I've got about 1k miles on the setup in a variety of conditions and the car definitely feels more nimble every day. I have to say they look great on the car. That is subjective of course but I've gotten a lot of people comment on the wheels and other Tesla owners asking me what they are.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I did the 8.5". Still working out great. I've got about 1k miles on the setup in a variety of conditions and the car definitely feels more nimble every day. I have to say they look great on the car. That is subjective of course but I've gotten a lot of people comment on the wheels and other Tesla owners asking me what they are.
nice, will likely go the route of lighter rims with the 8.5" to help the ride.

There might be a loss of lateral grip at maximum cornering and maybe worse through a slalom course, but for everyday driving, it is a vast improvement. The 8.5" is within the recommended rim width for the tires that come on the 19" Geminis.

There was a great mobile tire company that came out and swapped them at my house. When done, the tires were much better balanced than they were from the factory. I think I paid something like $150. I think they are in your area too. I know there were in Orange County when I lived there. See if you are in their service area. They took about an hour to do everything.

FYI - they will only fill the tires to what is mounted on the placard on the door. Nothing more or less and they fill with nitrogen.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I believe its these Michelin Pilot Sport EV's:

Which, I think, will be available in these sizes:

255/45R19
235/45R20
255/40R20
255/35R21
275/35R21

Which look like they follow closely to the Model Y's tire sizes...
Looks like 1 size available so far/or soon....make me wish i went 20"...almost lol

255/40R20/XL 101W T0 Acoustic BSW

Buy now
MSPN89335
Mileage Warranty20,000
Section Width on Measuring Rim Width10.00" on 9.00"
Overall Diameter28.02
Max Load, Single (LB @ PSI)1819 @ 50
SidewallBlack Sidewall
Revs/MI742
Tire Weight26.01
Rim Width Range (Min/Max)8.50-10.00
Tread Depth (in 32nds)8.5

There are a few that have gone with 18" Martian wheels (example pic below, not mine). I was prepared to spend the $2k for the inductions, but no way now. I'm going with the Geminis. If the ride quality is acceptable, I'll powder them black. Otherwise, I'll get the 18" Martians for $2k.

View attachment 654137
$2K for martians, tires, and TPMS? That sounds like a way better deal than upgrading to the Inductions, which I have!

The Martians alone are 2k. I went with 19's and swapped the tires and TPMS from my Geminis. All in for about $2150 and like them way better than any of the factory options. I thought about going with the 18's but I saved a lot of money by just swapping the 19's.

They are so much lighter than any of the factory wheel options and I would have to spend a lot more to get anything significantly lighter. For me they hit the sweet spot of great looks and even better bang for the buck.

The Martians alone are 2k. I went with 19's and swapped the tires and TPMS from my Geminis. All in for about $2150 and like them way better than any of the factory options. I thought about going with the 18's but I saved a lot of money by just swapping the 19's.

They are so much lighter than any of the factory wheel options and I would have to spend a lot more to get anything significantly lighter. For me they hit the sweet spot of great looks and even better bang for the buck.
Yeah i went for something similar to you as well, just not Martian.

I

I tow so that sort of limited my options. You really have to be careful about the weight capacity of the rims if towing or loading the MY down heavily. I saw other wheels that could have saved some money or lighter, but their load capacity was too low.
Without directly asking and a quick search mine are 1600, martian are much higher :)

Last edited:
try 2k for 18 martians, plus tires, plus TPMS plus install.
If you wait until your OE 19" Conti's need replacement, 18" tires are cheaper than 19"s. You can use your existing tpms. You'd be paying to mount and balance anyway. You're much less likely to get curb rash. Your wheels are lighter. Your range is farther. Your car is faster. You can easily sell your Gemini. I'm not seeing a downside.

Reactions: kindofblue

great way to do it and you can always put winter tires on your Geminis.

I'm just under 1k miles. Car actually came with 46psi (cold) and I lowered to 41. I'll see if increasing helps at all.
Why is it people seem to think there is any significance of what the tire pressure It was delivered at matters? It means absolutely nothing.

Was your UMC in the Frunk or the Trunk?

The door tag is what is suggested.