Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the new comfort suspension I'm kind of surprised that anyone would be thinking of spending quite a lot of money on aftermarket coilovers to improve the comfort. I did get the UPP coilovers on the 2020 LR Y (19" Replika R241/OEM tire size), which made an incredible difference. However, I don't miss these coilovers since the update to the 2023 LR Y (same wheel setup).

Get them installed yet? Very interested to see what you think of them.
I did get them installed but still playing with the settings before I make any comments about my experience.
To adjust the rear shocks I have to lift the car and remove the rear wheels/arch liners. Only day I have time is Sundays and weather must permit.
With the new comfort suspension I'm kind of surprised that anyone would be thinking of spending quite a lot of money on aftermarket coilovers to improve the comfort. I did get the UPP coilovers on the 2020 LR Y (19" Replika R241/OEM tire size), which made an incredible difference. However, I don't miss these coilovers since the update to the 2023 LR Y (same wheel setup).
My main reason for the Tein was because I wanted to lower the vehicle and still have a comfortable ride, this can not be achieved with OEM shocks.
Has anyone else recently upgraded their suspension to the 2023 comfort ones?

My warranty is going to expire soon, so maybe this is an option for me.
There are quite a few people who have done this and been extremely happy. Especially since you'd be using OEM parts.

Reactions: MattM24
Magnuson Law
Magnuson Moss is a toothless law.

Let's say you mod your suspension and there's an issue. Tesla denies warranty coverage. You should "Magnussen Moss!!!". Tesla tells to go pound sand.

Now your only option is to hire a $450-650/hr attorney to go and litigate the matter. It will take a year or more for your case to go to trial. Meanwhile your attorney will be asking for a sizeable retainer and be billing you periodically for ongoing services. Tesla meanwhile, has a fleet of highly paid attorneys on their side. The question will become how deep are your pockets?

Over on the BMW forums a member had a M5 that he modded by altering the ECU. BMW denied coverage when an issue cropped up. Well this guy is in fact an attorney. He tried to litigate the matter himself. Why not? He's an attorney after all. Well BMW stonewalled him, put up roadblock after roadblock. At the end of the day, he gave up because it was costing him too much time away from his own practice to go fight BMW. Lesson learned.

Magnuson Moss is a toothless law.

Let's say you mod your suspension and there's an issue. Tesla denies warranty coverage. You should "Magnussen Moss!!!". Tesla tells to go pound sand.

Now your only option is to hire a $450-650/hr attorney to go and litigate the matter. It will take a year or more for your case to go to trial. Meanwhile your attorney will be asking for a sizeable retainer and be billing you periodically for ongoing services. Tesla meanwhile, has a fleet of highly paid attorneys on their side. The question will become how deep are your pockets?

Over on the BMW forums a member had a M5 that he modded by altering the ECU. BMW denied coverage when an issue cropped up. Well this guy is in fact an attorney. He tried to litigate the matter himself. Why not? He's an attorney after all. Well BMW stonewalled him, put up roadblock after roadblock. At the end of the day, he gave up because it was costing him too much time away from his own practice to go fight BMW. Lesson learned.
I'll be succinct here - I think you're making this a "scarier" issue than it really is in reality. If you install aftermarket suspension on your tesla and it's proven that the aftermarket part caused the "issue" then you have no Magnussen Moss case. However, if Tesla cannot prove that the suspension caused your suspension related issue, then you have something to work with, in my opinion.

Did your M5 buddy say what was wrong with the car after he tuned it? Let me guess - he tuned the car, got over +100tq, +60hp whilst the transmission and everything else is stock...he ran it hard and something engine or drivetrain went wrong and tried to claim a warranty on his car. While i appreciate you giving us an example, this is not a good one. Coming from the tuning world with Audi's, Porsche's, Toyota's, everybody knows once you tune the car for more power under warranty, you kiss your warranty goodbye. In my opinion, your M5 buddy had a poor position and case for Magnuson Moss from the start.

I'll be succinct here - I think you're making this a "scarier" issue than it really is in reality. If you install aftermarket suspension on your tesla and it's proven that the aftermarket part caused the "issue" then you have no Magnussen Moss case. However, if Tesla cannot prove that the suspension caused your suspension related issue, then you have something to work with, in my opinion.

Did your M5 buddy say what was wrong with the car after he tuned it? Let me guess - he tuned the car, got over +100tq, +60hp whilst the transmission and everything else is stock...he ran it hard and something engine or drivetrain went wrong and tried to claim a warranty on his car. While i appreciate you giving us an example, this is not a good one. Coming from the tuning world with Audi's, Porsche's, Toyota's, everybody knows once you tune the car for more power under warranty, you kiss your warranty goodbye. In my opinion, your M5 buddy had a poor position and case for Magnuson Moss from the start.
The point is, what's your recourse if Tesla denies warranty coverage? Unfortunately Tesla doesn't have to "prove" anything. The burden is on you the consumer. You would most likely have to litigate the matter. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Bart404
@TheLex is spot-on correct, I've seen this happen first-hand BMW dealerships and modded cars. However, every situation is different.

Best way to avoid this from happening is to avoid taking modded cars to the dealership in the first place unless you're absolutely certain your SA is mod friendly with your specific mods. Instead, develop a relationship with a local tuning shop that can diagnose issues for you. Most times, they will be less expensive, quicker turnaround, better service, and have no fear of losing your warranty. Save the big stuff for the dealer if needed.

Reactions: TheLex and MattM24
Why would they deny warranty coverage?
Tesla, like any other business, will look for a way to cut costs by denying coverage by any means possible. If you've modified your suspension and they can plausibly claim that the modification affected the part you are seeking warranty coverage on, you're likely out of luck.

It stinks, but this is the reality of the situation. You and I are but single individuals with limited resources. We are not going to prevail in a fight like this against a major multi-national corporation.

Reactions: canasion35
Tesla, like any other business, will look for a way to cut costs by denying coverage by any means possible. If you've modified your suspension and they can plausibly claim that the modification affected the part you are seeking warranty coverage on, you're likely out of luck.

It stinks, but this is the reality of the situation. You and I are but single individuals with limited resources. We are not going to prevail in a fight like this against a major multi-national corporation.
I agree that Tesla is a godawful company who wants to screw you over at every turn, even when there's no reason to and when the law is against them.
While I agree that it "shouldn't".....
My local SC was very "cautioning" when I wished to discuss suspension replacement with them.
It appears to be a local staff variable.
YMMV
I agree that Tesla is a godawful company who wants to screw you over at every turn, even when there's no reason to and when the law is against them.

I would call them an immature operation. I don't see them 'screwing over' people at every opportunity.

I would call them an immature operation. I don't see them 'screwing over' people at every opportunity.
"Oh, you put on aftermarket suspension? Well, this completely unrelated motor or battery failure is no longer covered."

Either Tesla follows the law or it doesn't. Considering how they treat their employees, they don't consider the laws especially important.

Here, read this: Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law

"Oh, you put on aftermarket suspension? Well, this completely unrelated motor or battery failure is no longer covered."

Either Tesla follows the law or it doesn't. Considering how they treat their employees, they don't consider the laws especially important.

Here, read this: Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law
don't know where that statement comes from.....except a fevered mind.
there's no evidence any such action has been actually imposed on anyone.
time to chill