Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No worries :) It’s not a small sum of money but it is probably good value. Presumably you’d need a 4 wheel alignment afterwards which isn’t cheap.
Yes you would, but if you budget approx. £500 on top of the hardware for fitting, setting the ride heights properly and doing a full alignment you won't be too far off. So approx. £3k all in to transform the ride and handling of your M3/MY.
If anyone wants to feel what it's like first hand, we can demo our M3LR with the Bilstein kit. We're based near Camberley, Surrey.

Yes you would, but if you budget approx. £500 on top of the hardware for fitting, setting the ride heights properly and doing a full alignment you won't be too far off. So approx. £3k all in to transform the ride and handling of your M3/MY.
If anyone wants to feel what it's like first hand, we can demo our M3LR with the Bilstein kit. We're based near Camberley, Surrey.

Thanks for the info! I’m pretty close to Camberley so I’ll see how I get on with the 19” wheels on the Y for a while, and if it’s not good I’ll pay you a visit.

Reactions: Tevo Solutions
I was born a worrier, so this is probably not an issue, but does a suspension change have any impact on insurance premiums or the pool of insurers wiling to provide coverage?

I was born a worrier, so this is probably not an issue, but does a suspension change have any impact on insurance premiums or the pool of insurers wiling to provide coverage?
That is a good question and it does vary so you need to ask your insurer before making any purchasing decisions!
I'm insured with Novo and despite very extensive modifications to my M3P I pay no additional premium, but then they aren't the cheapest in the first place.
I know of other Model 3 owners who have our upgrades on their cars and it seems as long as you do a limited number of mods it either doesn't affect the premium at all or not by much but some insurers will count PPF or a stick on numberplate as a modification, so then you start eating into your 'allowance' as it were.
There will be some insurers no doubt who will just say no to any modifications.

The other question which comes up regularly is how modifying your Tesla might affect the warranty. The answer to that is as long as the modification you've done couldn't contribute to something else going wrong, Tesla won't argue about it but you have to understand that there will always be grey areas, so go into it with your eyes open.
If you put aftermarket suspension on your Tesla and a wheel bearing goes, they *might* try and blame the suspension, even though it's very unlikely to be the cause. If your heat pump packs up they aren't going to say anything and probably won't even know you've got different suspension fitted anyway.

Reactions: dangrenade
That is a good question and it does vary so you need to ask your insurer before making any purchasing decisions!
I'm insured with Novo and despite very extensive modifications to my M3P I pay no additional premium, but then they aren't the cheapest in the first place.
I know of other Model 3 owners who have our upgrades on their cars and it seems as long as you do a limited number of mods it either doesn't affect the premium at all or not by much but some insurers will count PPF or a stick on numberplate as a modification, so then you start eating into your 'allowance' as it were.
There will be some insurers no doubt who will just say no to any modifications.

The other question which comes up regularly is how modifying your Tesla might affect the warranty. The answer to that is as long as the modification you've done couldn't contribute to something else going wrong, Tesla won't argue about it but you have to understand that there will always be grey areas, so go into it with your eyes open.
If you put aftermarket suspension on your Tesla and a wheel bearing goes, they *might* try and blame the suspension, even though it's very unlikely to be the cause. If your heat pump packs up they aren't going to say anything and probably won't even know you've got different suspension fitted anyway.
Thanks that is very helpful and makes sense. We are happy with our M3P and, for our use we haven't felt any need to make performance modifications. I have looked at your website and product offerings and it is very impressive indeed. If we had any inclination to track our M3 I have no doubt you would be our first port of call. That said, we also have a MYLR on order and may find that can benefit from the improvements you guys dial in.

• Love
Reactions: Tevo Solutions
We came away with many questions answered but still undecided between the YLR and 3LR. Do we need the space of the Y - rarely, but the hatch is useful. Will the extra width be a problem? The £5k price difference is significant too. The extra performance of the 3LR is nice and the range has just been increased to an amazing 389 miles (with 18" aero wheels) on the configurator, evidently due the new 82 KWh LG battery. In reality the real world range is like to be more like 350 miles at best which is still very good. Decisions, decisions!
3LR + Acceleration Boost! Nice compromise :)

I approached my Test Drive Model Y with some trepidation. I have had a MP and 2 M3LR s - my current vehicle. I have heard all the criticisms and read the doubts, but after 20 minutes drive on pretty rough roads after dark this evening I am enthusiastic no longer any lingering doubts. This car is the car which has been missing from the range. Big, spacious with a proper driving position. All a family could ever want or need! I promise you the ride is good, you feel the road less than the Model 3 yet its drive and steering are just as responsive as the Model 3. The 20 inch wheels are fine and look great! May well decide to upgrade from the Geminis I have on order. Dont let anyone tell you this car is noisy!
When the RWD version is released on the EU and UK markets it will clean up!
My one criticism is the size of the wing mirrors are a little small.

NEED a hatch occasionally or would be convenient to have a hatch occasionally? My previous car was a BMW 4 gran coupe and thats the first car I’d had with a hatchback and the first with a powered boot at all. My wife usually has hatches. I’ve never felt a huge need - even trips to ikea the ability to fold the seats properly flat is usually more important than the rear opening more. Yes more convenient but not sure a dealbreaker.

Sounds like you preferred the 3 maybe? Could you compromise and get a 3LR plus acceleration boost as a car you’d both share, with the Y also then shared for the more practical option?

I felt it was a shame the Y is wider. the 3 isn’t a small car and just making it taller should have been enough for more practicality and storage. And arguably would have made it simpler to adapt from the 3?
The wife doesn't like to drive my car in case she damages it (it's happened previously ~20 years ago with my last new car though it wasn't her fault!), so another Tesla would have to be her car. Also don't want to get rid of my M3P as it's fitted with after market adjustable coiler suspension and arms from MPP (KW3) which has been set up by experts. It now handles really well with less lean and a smoother ride. Also being a pre-July 2019 purchase my M3P has free connectivity for life and FSD was "only" £5600. Plus back then the P was really good value being on £3500 more than the LR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrklaw
I approached my Test Drive Model Y with some trepidation. I have had a MP and 2 M3LR s - my current vehicle. I have heard all the criticisms and read the doubts, but after 20 minutes drive on pretty rough roads after dark this evening I am enthusiastic no longer any lingering doubts. This car is the car which has been missing from the range. Big, spacious with a proper driving position. All a family could ever want or need! I promise you the ride is good, you feel the road less than the Model 3 yet its drive and steering are just as responsive as the Model 3. The 20 inch wheels are fine and look great! May well decide to upgrade from the Geminis I have on order. Dont let anyone tell you this car is noisy!
Music to my ears Roadcred, thank you. Can’t wait for my test drive on Sat. Hope it’s not too late to change my mind on the wheels if I want to although I still think £2100 for the inductions is ridiculous. Roll on Sat.

And yet they are bigger than the M3 wing mirrors!

FYI, I've just responded to their original email asking if they have an update:
And their response about the EV charger grant:

Thank you for your email.

We understand and we are awaiting this to be accepted and added to the electric vehicle home charge scheme. At this stage we have no further update however we acknowledge this can be frustrating and hope this is added very soon.

Finally I did the test drive (the grey one) at Thorpe Park today. Just what I expected and more or less sums up what others have said on this thread and the other MY Delivery thread.
  • Slightly hard suspension: Comparing with what I drive currently, 2009 Mercedes C class, the suspension did feel touch hard on the bumps. I could feel the road - not bad by any means though. However the ride on smooth roads was excellent. Looking at various comments of people who test drove, I was thinking may be if I like the ride, I will change my order to 20" induction wheels. But after the drive, I decided to stick with 19" gemini wheels. Having driven M3 and S in the past, I felt the ride quality was on par with M3, but not as good as an S - as one would expect.
  • Just to repeat what others have already said, it has AMD processor, double glazed rears and no parcel shelf
  • I do see that some complained about road noise, but I did not hear much of road noise at all. It was comparable to any other car in that class.
  • There was a rattling sound coming in from the boot/rear though. It felt like something on this specific model was loose - may be the seat or something in the boot. I do not think it is an indication of any issue with MY as such.
  • Seating/Comfort: I could not appreciate the amount of space inside when I had a look at it in Westfield shopping centre in December. But whether it is driving seat or passenger seat or the rear seat, there is no shortage of space and comfort. Those long drives will be very comfortable. The only thing which I did not like is that I can not see the bonnet when driving. It is probably a personal thing, but I would love to see the front of the car when driving to have a feel good factor (no problem with judging distance etc.)
  • Fun to drive: Of course it is with its acceleration. Although not as good as an S I drove a week ago, this is more than good enough.
  • Rear visibility: This is very very bad IMO. I could not see the car following me in the rear view mirror. It becomes worse if it is in the night. There are side mirrors and most importantly rear camera for the rescue. So not a deal breaker, but definitely something which is not good.
Overall the drive was exactly what I expected. SWMBO also had similar view on the test drive, except that she did not like the simplistic interior - she hates that there are no buttons and everything is controlled from the tablet and no HUD!

In summary I am going ahead with the order and no change to wheels as well. The wait now becomes even more difficult!! From tomorrow I am sure I will be checking the order status for the hidden VIN (and the OZEV list for MY) a hundred times a day (as opposed to 90 times a day that I have been doing now).

Has anyone received any updates on whether mud flaps and on rear quarter ppf are standard on the uk models?
the only info I can offer is that the model Y details against my order in the source code show MTY09. I understand this is the same as the Hong Kong delivered Model Y, so if they have it, the UK should have it too. This might be oversimplifying things, but Tesla tends to keep it simple for reducing cost.

Received email from Chargepoint today:

All the eligibility requirements of the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme must be met at the time of installation (including that the vehicle is on the eligible vehicle list).

Tesla has now applied to add their Y model to the eligible vehicle list. When we have checked that all the eligibility requirements are met, we will update the eligible vehicle list in the EVHS section on our grants collection page (Grant schemes for electric vehicle charging infrastructure) – you can check this list for any updates.

Unfortunately, you will not be eligible for the EVHS grant if the model Y is not on the list at the time of installation

Received email from Chargepoint today:

All the eligibility requirements of the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme must be met at the time of installation (including that the vehicle is on the eligible vehicle list).

Tesla has now applied to add their Y model to the eligible vehicle list. When we have checked that all the eligibility requirements are met, we will update the eligible vehicle list in the EVHS section on our grants collection page (Grant schemes for electric vehicle charging infrastructure) – you can check this list for any

Unfortunately, you will not be eligible for the EVHS grant if the model Y is not on the list at the time of installation
I’ve just had a call from TESLA Guildford to arrange a model Y test drive next weekend (29th) at their Guildford site. Looks like the test drive cars are now moving around.