Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s the look right there! Have you noticed a big improvement with the heat?
Yes and no. I bought the car in December and it's just not hot enough yet in Atlanta. However, I had this brand tint on another vehicle and it does a fantastic job rejecting heat. It's easily the best film on the market. There are a number of YouTube videos out there testing the film against competitors.

I did 35 on the front that almost exactly matches the factory tint, from the inside I can't tell the difference between the factory tint and the aftermarket ceramic tint:
61jjMqi.jpg
for ceramic your 35 is crazy dark. Maybe the angle?

I got rayno s9 20 and I have to redo it because it's too light in the front. Sucks.

I did 50% on the front (legal limit) and 20% on top of the factory tint in the back. If I could do it over I would have done 5% like I have in the past.
Since the rears are already dark, does the 20% make it even darker than doing the fronts 20%?
I usually do 5% rear but I’m scared the dark windows + 5% will make it extra dark to where I can’t see anything at night. Does that make sense?

Since the rears are already dark, does the 20% make it even darker than doing the fronts 20%?
I usually do 5% rear but I’m scared the dark windows + 5% will make it extra dark to where I can’t see anything at night. Does that make sense?
Is it really pointless to tint the rear and back? I felt it was dark enough, so i went with SunTek 5% all around. It ended up making the rear and back 1%.
Ah this answered my question ive been searching for lol. I wonder how 20% on top of the rears will make it

So what’s the consensus on the best brand/type tint to use. Highest UV rejection for SoCal type weather. Might as well do all windows including roof + windshield?

At a minimum I need to add something to the fronts and add some UV rejection to the rears for the kids

So what’s the consensus on the best brand/type tint to use. Highest UV rejection for SoCal type weather. Might as well do all windows including roof + windshield?

At a minimum I need to add something to the fronts and add some UV rejection to the rears for the kids
To me Xpel was a bit more clear compared to SunTek. There is just ever so slight gaze with my SunTek.

I would go with a 70% + on the rears and windshield. The back privacy glass is pretty dark but has no heat rejection.

Reactions: bryan995
Before (1st) and after Tint pics 🤤70% front 15% front doors and 50% on top of the existing tints to match the fromt doors 😬

Attachments

• FFD4858C-2691-4738-A54C-85A2EAB693F0.jpeg
    FFD4858C-2691-4738-A54C-85A2EAB693F0.jpeg
    563.4 KB · Views: 956
  • CE226B31-059A-4C8E-9681-EF503A13DAE9.jpeg
    CE226B31-059A-4C8E-9681-EF503A13DAE9.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 851
  • 0A4E1782-9516-4CA5-8EBE-1787D94DE4A3.jpeg
    0A4E1782-9516-4CA5-8EBE-1787D94DE4A3.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 881
  • B5DC798D-88B4-4A06-9445-BB1034E1CC48.jpeg
    B5DC798D-88B4-4A06-9445-BB1034E1CC48.jpeg
    543.7 KB · Views: 880
  • 730E9995-7690-4CAA-935A-F23C4059E215.jpeg
    730E9995-7690-4CAA-935A-F23C4059E215.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 932
Reactions: ucsdsig and MGsurf
I was looking for 3M Crystalline but the shop I went to only had Xpel which was no big deal since they are competitors of each other.

I did 20% Xpel XR Plus in the front and still feel they re too light. I left my stock rears alone and I know if I did 20% on the rears on top of the stock tints, it would feel super dark/ limo tints.

Its super sunny here in Los Angeles so it feels like I have 35% in the day time mainly due to the glass roof that lets so much light on.

I was looking for 3M Crystalline but the shop I went to only had Xpel which was no big deal since they are competitors of each other.

I did 20% Xpel XR Plus in the front and still feel they re too light. I left my stock rears alone and I know if I did 20% on the rears on top of the stock tints, it would feel super dark/ limo tints.

Its super sunny here in Los Angeles so it feels like I have 35% in the day time mainly due to the glass roof that lets so much light on.
I would do at least 70% on the rears; it’s just privacy glass, no UV or heat rejection.

Thank you both for your input. I commute to the Inland Empire as well, so I will consider getting the windshield tint, along with the window and roof tint, whenever it is my order is made (LR RWD).

Just my $0.02 but I wouldn't worry about tinting the roof. It seems to have pretty good heat blocking properties built in and will just be an added expense. Someone else on this forum did a meter test of all the windows (before/after tint) including the roof and it already seems to block a lot of heat without tint (he opted not to tint the roof too). I didn't tint mine because of the added expense and I also didn't want to dampen the viewing effects for rear passengers, however slight it might be. I would look for that Model Y thread if you're really curious to see some data.

I finally decided to stick to a sunshade. I tinted the windshield on my previous Lexus and immediately regretted it because I noticed some blurriness, and once seen you can't unsee it. It just wasn't as optically clear as marketed, and this is from a shop partnered and recommended by our local SC. On top of that, a friend tinted the windshield of his Model 3 from another reputable shop and I instantly noticed blurriness too when looking at straight edges, such as the sidewalk curb or window frames of buildings. Actually, in some of the shared photos in this thread, I can spot where straight edges are wavy and distorted through the tinted windshield. Sometimes, when driving our Model S I am tempted again to tint the windshield but I'm OCD about the blurriness/distortion and was ready to pay $100 to remove the tint on the Lexus but ended up selling the Lexus to get into the S. I am really diligent about putting up my CoverCraft sunshade every time though.

Although a tinted windshield is convenient and offers protection while driving, another friend got ticketed for his front windows and they were only 50% (I think) on a friggin' Honda Pilot! I just don't want to deal with the paranoia driving around California and would rather use my sunshade. I also like putting up the sunshade for privacy when I'm parked, eating in the car, or Supercharging.

I tinted the roof of the Model S and this time around will skip it on the Y. I agree that the Tesla glass roof has great natural heat rejecting properties. I could barely feel heat radiating from my friend's un-tinted Model 3 roof with the back of my hand 1-inch away on a 95-degree day. After tinting the Model S roof I couldn't tell much difference except now the view of the sky wasn't as impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noflash
I finally decided to stick to a sunshade. I tinted the windshield on my previous Lexus and immediately regretted it because I noticed some blurriness, and once seen you can't unsee it. It just wasn't as optically clear as marketed, and this is from a shop partnered and recommended by our local SC. On top of that, a friend tinted the windshield of his Model 3 from another reputable shop and I instantly noticed blurriness too when looking at straight edges, such as the sidewalk curb or window frames of buildings. Actually, in some of the shared photos in this thread, I can spot where straight edges are wavy and distorted through the tinted windshield. Sometimes, when driving our Model S I am tempted again to tint the windshield but I'm OCD about the blurriness/distortion and was ready to pay $100 to remove the tint on the Lexus but ended up selling the Lexus to get into the S. I am really diligent about putting up my CoverCraft sunshade every time though.

Although a tinted windshield is convenient and offers protection while driving, another friend got ticketed for his front windows and they were only 50% (I think) on a friggin' Honda Pilot! I just don't want to deal with the paranoia driving around California and would rather use my sunshade. I also like putting up the sunshade for privacy when I'm parked, eating in the car, or Supercharging.

I tinted the roof of the Model S and this time around will skip it on the Y. I agree that the Tesla glass roof has great natural heat rejecting properties. I could barely feel heat radiating from my friend's un-tinted Model 3 roof with the back of my hand 1-inch away on a 95-degree day. After tinting the Model S roof I couldn't tell much difference except now the view of the sky wasn't as impressive.
Xpel seemed crystal clear to me when I had it tinted and I went super light (I think ~72% or something, basically clear with no color). I don't think a copy, even CA cops, would check unless you were a complete a-hole with your driving and dealing with them and they were LOOKING for extra stuff to tag you with. The largest thing I noticed some a few dust specs under it that you could see when cleaning the glass but once you were 12 to 18 inches away from it you couldn't see them.

Ask the people what tint brand they have that you notice some haze to. It's one area I will admit that Xpel is probably worth the extra cost, they seem to have ultra clear tints.