Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting as I type for my tint job to finish up.
  • 50% Black Ceramic on Front Windows
  • 80% AirCeramic on Rear Windows including the 2 small ones
  • 5% Windshield Strip
Will post pictures once finished.
I’m pretty happy with the look.

Attachments

• 47DCCC17-1A5F-4A2B-9798-5564F4FADD14.jpeg
    47DCCC17-1A5F-4A2B-9798-5564F4FADD14.jpeg
    813.3 KB · Views: 887
  • D14E666E-FD1C-4D10-9AC9-0091B25DCCC0.jpeg
    D14E666E-FD1C-4D10-9AC9-0091B25DCCC0.jpeg
    509.1 KB · Views: 708
  • F77D9B75-989B-4737-94B3-B79073BCBD02.jpeg
    F77D9B75-989B-4737-94B3-B79073BCBD02.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 914
Very nice. Is the windshield untinted other than the strip? How wide is that strip?
I am definitely going to get a strip just not sure how wide and whether or not to go with Air 80 on the whole windshield first.

Very nice. Is the windshield untinted other than the strip? How wide is that strip?
I am definitely going to get a strip just not sure how wide and whether or not to go with Air 80 on the whole windshield first.
I think the strip is PA legal (4 inches). I thought about 80 Air for the entire windshield, but was concerned about defrosting winter snow. So I left it untinted.

Finally got her tinted, XPEL XR Black 35 all around, 70 on the windshield. Shot a 4K video of it (also got XPEL Full Front PPF):
Awesome video, thank you! Nice to finally see a white MY with good tint, so I can get an idea of what I want to do. Beautiful car!

Since you live in Dallas, which I would considerable comparable to South Florida in terms of brutal sun, and drove it around a bit without tint, how essential would you say tinting the roof is? I have an appointment to basically do exactly what you did except with Llumar Stratos ceramic (or maybe I’ll do Pinnacle) all the way around, as well as full front PPF, but I keep going back and forth on whether or not the roof is necessary. I know a lot of people do it, but there was also a video showing the roof itself already blocked almost 100% of heat and I’m just not sure how true that is for us driving around in crazy sunlight.

Awesome video, thank you! Nice to finally see a white MY with good tint, so I can get an idea of what I want to do. Beautiful car!

Since you live in Dallas, which I would considerable comparable to South Florida in terms of brutal sun, and drove it around a bit without tint, how essential would you say tinting the roof is? I have an appointment to basically do exactly what you did except with Llumar Stratos ceramic (or maybe I’ll do Pinnacle) all the way around, as well as full front PPF, but I keep going back and forth on whether or not the roof is necessary. I know a lot of people do it, but there was also a video showing the roof itself already blocked almost 100% of heat and I’m just not sure how true that is for us driving around in crazy sunlight.
Yes, 100% comparable. I lived in Miami area for over a decade and other than the humidity, which is a bit less here on average, temps and the sun here actually get hotter in summer, we're over 100F on the regular. And there's no ocean breeze 😜

I did the roof for good measure, I too researched the heck out of it and saw the vid you mentioned about the roof being pretty efficient as is. I also had two (2) Model 3s and we had the roof tinted on both of them and felt like it was worth it. On one of them I also had the Tesla roof shade installed which, sadly, isn't an option on the Y (due to size, it'd be very hard to manufacture a lightweight shade that holds its shape, and as a matter of fact the #1 complaint on aftermarket Y roof shades is that they sag). If it's a cost issue, I'd say do everything but the roof and see how you like it, if it's not I'd say just go for it, every little bit helps (especially in S. FL — I also lived in SoCal and I'd do, and did, the same there as well). My advice? 100% do the roof since you live in a place where whatever difference it makes will be maximized.

I had Llumar in the past, it's perfectly fine, but I updated my research since last go around (3+ years ago) and for my needs the finalists were PhotoSync and XPEL XR/XR PLUS. PhotoSync wanted an absolutely ridiculous amount of money and, having had it in the past (installed in S. FL!), while it is top-notch, compared to other high end films it is certainly only a fractional improvement on a good day. As discussed in the video, while XR PLUS has better stats overall than regular XR, in the shade % I chose it's super close and doesn't make sense; XR non-plus can be a good value amongst high end films, and has a charcoal look w/ no blue (while XR PLUS does show some blue from certain angles in certain conditions).

Last edited:
Reactions: Horses|Rams
Today I had my front side windows tinted at 20%. The shop said to match the rears they typically go down to 15%, but I thought that may be too dark for night driving. The car turned out great, fronts are just slightly lighter than rears - barely noticeable.

Interestingly, the guy at the shop measured the OEM tint on my rear windows at 19%. Not sure why they typically tint fronts to 15% 🤷

Anyone just have 35% without tinting the back? Also, can people tell between 30 and 35? 35% is the legal limit here in MD.
Yes you can totally tell the difference between 30 and 35. I say that, because back when I had an Acura TL, my coworker, who had the exact same car, down to the same interior and exterior colors.... We went to the same tint shop the same day. I got 30% and he got 35%. On an overcast day, even when not parked next to each other, the 35 you can clearly see into the car... The 30 looks closer to the 25 that I have on all my cars now... On an overcast day, you don't really see into the car as clearly, you see an outline/silhouette of the people inside.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Anyone just have 35% without tinting the back? Also, can people tell between 30 and 35? 35% is the legal limit here in MD.
I just did. 35 on front is still MUCH lighter than the back to where it almost doesn’t look tinted (at least with white interior). Also the color is slightly different depending what tint you get. The stock rear is a little yellowish-brownish. I don’t really care. I don’t want the front or rear any darker.

Reactions: bobbyjae
I tinted the fronts with xpel prime xr plus 20% and added 70% to the rears. Even then, the rears are lighter than the fronts. So noticeable that I will either change the fronts to 35% or the rears to 50%. The installer said it would match, but it is easy to see, even with my untrained eye.

Llumar IRX 15% Fronts, 30% Rears + Sunroof, Air 80 Windshield. White / White Interior so I had to go darker in the fronts.

I didn't take any photos of mine but the tint shop I did it with did and posted it.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Llumar IRX 15% Fronts, 30% Rears + Sunroof, Air 80 Windshield.
How do you like the Air 80 on the windshield? Can you see any waviness or other distortion or does it look as good optically as original glass?

Also, how is the heat rejection? That Air 80 is supposed to be some pretty amazing stuff. I am considering same.