Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding 70% to the rear would have brought the rear down to around 20%. Then 20% on the front windows may have matched better but yours looks good. The front windows will always look a little lighter due to more light coming in from the windshield.

Model Y stock rear “tint” tests at 23%

this is 70% all rear windows and 20% front, 80% windshield View attachment 573268
Adding 70% to the rear would have brought the rear down to around 20%. Then 20% on the front windows may have matched better but yours looks good. The front windows will always look a little lighter due to more light coming in from the windshield.

Model Y stock rear “tint” tests at 23%

this is 70% all rear windows and 20% front, 80% windshield View attachment 573268

I did 20% 3M Crystalline all around. Nothing on the windshield or roof, but I may do 70% for some extra heat protection.

R5A_0444-2.jpg
R5A_0414-2.jpg

Reactions: chopper2585
I'm not OCD about the color matching perfectly, but here's a helpful pic that compares 3M Ceramic IR ("CIR") vs 3M Crystalline ("CR") next to each other. I tried to watch a ton of Youtube videos of Ceramic vs Crystalline (was hard to find comparisons right next to each other) to see the difference, but this really shows it easily (blue vs brown hues). Apologies for the pic as it's not a perfect apples-apples comparison, but you get the idea.
View attachment 729220
Great info.thanks
Which tint provides better heat rejection? CIR, CR, or Xpel xr prime +?

In fact it’s maybe driving me a bit mad. I think they may have actually done 15%. And it’s a big darker than the rears.
Should I change it make it lighter to match or darken the rears a bit more? I love the look of the ceramic. Maybe I just do 70 on the rears to match it a bit.
Thoughts?

Did 20% ceramic on the fronts. Maybe it's a touch darker than the rears.

In fact it’s maybe driving me a bit mad. I think they may have actually done 15%. And it’s a big darker than the rears.
Should I change it make it lighter to match or darken the rears a bit more? I love the look of the ceramic. Maybe I just do 70 on the rears to match it a bit.
Thoughts?

Did 20% ceramic on the fronts. Maybe it's a touch darker than the rears.

70% on the rears would make it all match. 30% on the fronts is actually a closer match for OEM rears than 20% is. 20% matches well from outside, but it’s obviously darker from inside the vehicle.

70% on the rears would make it all match. 30% on the fronts is actually a closer match for OEM rears than 20% is. 20% matches well from outside, but it’s obviously darker from inside the vehicle.
Can't decide what to do.. they are pretty much the same tint, it's just the color is slightly different. I'm going to drive it around for a week- then decide, its pretty easy to add 70 or 90 to the back windows and they will have the same 'coloring' Or i might just remove and replace it with 25 or 30! Otherwise, i'm super happy with the privacy! I've never had such dark windows. I love it.

Can't decide what to do.. they are pretty much the same tint, it's just the color is slightly different. I'm going to drive it around for a week- then decide, its pretty easy to add 70 or 90 to the back windows and they will have the same 'coloring' Or i might just remove and replace it with 25 or 30! Otherwise, i'm super happy with the privacy! I've never had such dark windows. I love it.
You won’t ever match 100% color wise. The rear windows have a slight brown hue to them, and the fronts have a slight green hue. Nothing you out over green will create the brown hue that the rear windows have.

Xpel XR 30% seems to be the closest match I’ve seen, but I’m sure others have some other opinions as well.

My local tint place has done a ton of Tesla vehicles and recommended 20% tint on my front two windows to best match the rear factory tint. They use XPEL tint. I think they used XR (or maybe even CS since I only was worried about matching the looks more than performance). Here are a few photos of it on mine with only 20% tint added to the front two windows, no other windows were tinted (sorry not the best photos and the reflections throw it off).

Depending on the amount of light that comes through the front windshield, it makes the front side windows appear lighter than the rear windows, but overall in typical conditions I think it cleans it up nicely and matches very closely. Based on that, I would think 30-35% tint on the front would be way too light if you are looking to match the factory rear tint.

20210911_172348394_iOS.jpg

20210911_172402631_iOS.jpg
20210911_172444854_iOS.jpg

Reactions: fsb1 and samori01
I finally remembered to post pics of the car after I got the fronts tinted to match the backs. I inquired about getting the windshield done and they told me it was pointless. Might help with the heat somewhat, but with a Tesla, you just turn on the AC as you're getting ready to leave. Now that I've got my trusty Siri shortcut for the AC, it's a one-button push without having to wait for the car to wake up.

View attachment 566749 View attachment 566750 View attachment 566752 View attachment 566753
Looks great! I just got my Blue on White interior MYP, and I noticed you also have the white interior

What percentage did you get the fronts at? Is that 20?

Depending on the amount of light that comes through the front windshield, it makes the front side windows appear lighter than the rear windows, but overall in typical conditions I think it cleans it up nicely and matches very closely. Based on that, I would think 30-35% tint on the front would be way too light if you are looking to match the factory rear tint.

Look from the inside out, you'll see that your front windows are in fact darker than the rears. Throw a meter on them, and they will measure about 16-17% while the rears measure 23-24%. It will match better from the outside, but the actual matching tint would be closer to 30%.

My M3P has 30% all the way around on it, and the fronts appear lighter than the rears due to the amount of light that comes in from the windshield. That's pretty typical unless you tint the windshield to match the sides/rear.