Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
45% front 5% rear
IMG_20220815_193218.jpg

Reactions: yellowr6
I'm going to ask a potentially dumb question, so I apologize in advance. Having never had windows tinted previously in any of my vehicles, I just want to make sure I don't screw it up.

How you you guys get around not sticking window stickers to your windshield tint, if you have it? For instance with State Park registration stickers, or parking permits?

I'm thinking of having my windshield tinted with the lightest ceramic available just for the UV and heat rejection, and want to make sure I know as much up front.

I'm going to ask a potentially dumb question, so I apologize in advance. Having never had windows tinted previously in any of my vehicles, I just want to make sure I don't screw it up.

How you you guys get around not sticking window stickers to your windshield tint, if you have it? For instance with State Park registration stickers, or parking permits?

I'm thinking of having my windshield tinted with the lightest ceramic available just for the UV and heat rejection, and want to make sure I know as much up front.
As long as they are the peel offable stickers they are no problem. If its more of a sticker you put on a laptop, get a clear peel off to stick the sticker too

I thought tint is highly illegal in NYC along with the million other things? Are you one of those highly connected elite class?
Most cops dont care about tint, if i get a ticket ill pay it theres tons of people with tints/modified exhausts etc lots of car clubs/scenes in NYC with tons of "unapproved" mods you dont have to be "highly connected or elite" which I doubt theyd even have a "cheap" tesla

Most cops dont care about tint, if i get a ticket ill pay it theres tons of people with tints/modified exhausts etc lots of car clubs/scenes in NYC with tons of "unapproved" mods you dont have to be "highly connected or elite" which I doubt theyd even have a "cheap" tesla
Depending on the state i imagine, but in cali you can just pay the fine each time you are caught. You do not need to remove it. The “fix it ticket” is so you can avoid the fine.

Here's another pic of the glare of the white dash. Definitely a bit annoying and your eyes naturally seem to focus on the white spot when you glance at the mirrors. Can't wait until the carbon fiber dash arrives.

View attachment 791332
Did the glare happen without the window tint? I’m trying to decide if I should tint my front left/right windows, but I have the white trim also.

It probably did, but wasn't noticeable or annoying. I would still strongly recommend tinting the front windows and then address the trim via whichever way makes more sense to you, be it a new CF trim piece or wrapping your existing one. Ceramic-type tint makes a huge difference in keeping the heat away.

I've never tinted the windows of any of my cars or used paint protection film, but none of my cars have ever been as nice as the MY I'm expecting next month. As such, I don't even know where to start. We're in San Diego, so sun exposure is definitely an issue. Can someone give me some basic pointers on how to get started?

I've never tinted the windows of any of my cars or used paint protection film, but none of my cars have ever been as nice as the MY I'm expecting next month. As such, I don't even know where to start. We're in San Diego, so sun exposure is definitely an issue. Can someone give me some basic pointers on how to get started?

Same here. Never tinted any of the windows cause it looked cheap and or like a hoodie’s car. But realized now that I’m in SoCal it is almost a necessity as the left side of your face gets toasted.

I wanted to get PPF done also but the cheapest quote I got was $5500 for the entire car. An outrageous cost after having spent $65k on a new car.

Thanks to a user on this forum, I found a dealer selling Xpel ppf. I got the entire car set for $1380. Tried my hand at doing it - it turned out horrendous. My headlight looks like it has scratches and my right mirror looks like it has multiple zits about to burst. Decided to find a guy on Craigslist and am paying him $2k for the labor alone. Taking a big risk cause the guy could be a random dude with no skills or worse, a thief. But he’s coming tomorrow to PPF the entire car.

Several of the more skilled forum users here were able to do a good job. I’m pretty handy but my DIY turned out to be a disaster.

Same here. Never tinted any of the windows cause it looked cheap and or like a hoodie’s car. But realized now that I’m in SoCal it is almost a necessity as the left side of your face gets toasted.

I wanted to get PPF done also but the cheapest quote I got was $5500 for the entire car. An outrageous cost after having spent $65k on a new car.

Thanks to a user on this forum, I found a dealer selling Xpel ppf. I got the entire car set for $1380. Tried my hand at doing it - it turned out horrendous. My headlight looks like it has scratches and my right mirror looks like it has multiple zits about to burst. Decided to find a guy on Craigslist and am paying him $2k for the labor alone. Taking a big risk cause the guy could be a random dude with no skills or worse, a thief. But he’s coming tomorrow to PPF the entire car.

Several of the more skilled forum users here were able to do a good job. I’m pretty handy but my DIY turned out to be a disaster.
Is your Craigslist guy supplying the PPF in that cost? Or are you reusing the messed up parts that you tried?

I don’t foresee this going well. PPF is extremely labor intensive, even for good shops it can take 12+ hours to do. They also do a very deep clean wash on the exterior of the vehicle and usually basic paint correction (so you don’t lock in swirl marks and scratches). You also don’t want dust and dirt getting under it, so installing outside isn’t a great idea.

Now if they’re using vinyl I could believe a $2-$3k price… but vinyl offers no impact or scratches resistance. It’s purely a cosmetic addition.

I understand it’s very expensive, but spending $2k + $1400 on materials for a shoddy job with likely no guarantee or warranty vs an extra $2k for a shop to do it and stand behind their work always surprises me. If you want to go “cheap” you don’t have to go full car and instead could go full front for $1500-$2000.

Reactions: samori01
Also, when it comes to tint, you can just slap on a 70% to 90% tint that will cut down like 30-40% of the IR heat and is basically clear. If you want s modest tint just go for a 50% or something and you’ll get great heat rejection with still a pretty light color and darkness. I’m running 15% (20% visible light transmission) up front and with the white interior you still can easily see into the car in the day. At night it does feel a little dark, but I personally like that exterior look and love the heat blocking in the summer. Short of it is, today’s ceramic tints don’t need to be dark to block heat.

Here's a good starting point to compare current Tint pricing in SoCal (Rancho Cucamonga/Upland area), plus some info about car window tinting. I've taken 3 Tesla's here and will likely go back for my next car. GLW tint! :cool:

What you spent is about $2k away from a professional doing it. There’s a 10 year warranty and if it is an Xpel certified installer you have a warranty on how they put it on to make sure it is correct. I wish you luck but you are rolling the dice.

Is your Craigslist guy supplying the PPF in that cost? Or are you reusing the messed up parts that you tried?

I don’t foresee this going well. PPF is extremely labor intensive, even for good shops it can take 12+ hours to do. They also do a very deep clean wash on the exterior of the vehicle and usually basic paint correction (so you don’t lock in swirl marks and scratches). You also don’t want dust and dirt getting under it, so installing outside isn’t a great idea.

Now if they’re using vinyl I could believe a $2-$3k price… but vinyl offers no impact or scratches resistance. It’s purely a cosmetic addition.

I understand it’s very expensive, but spending $2k + $1400 on materials for a shoddy job with likely no guarantee or warranty vs an extra $2k for a shop to do it and stand behind their work always surprises me. If you want to go “cheap” you don’t have to go full car and instead could go full front for $1500-$2000.
No, so it’s $1400 for the Xpel PPF from Nate’s seller and $2000 for the labor alone. The cheapest quote I got in my area was $5500 and from a very reputable shop. You’re right, it’s a savings of $2100. I couldn’t bring myself to paying the full price. Was the reason I was hoping DIY was better.

So far, he’s doing an ok job. The parts where there seem to be issues is not the installer’s fault. For instance, all four doors’ PPF seem to end 1 mm above the bottom. Which is ridiculous because one of the main areas I wanted to protect were the edges and the bottoms of the doors which get sandblasted during driving. But I would say this was the precut kit being too short.

Same with the area around the door handles. There seems to be a 1mm gap all around the black door handles which is unsightly. Again, this seems to be an issue with the precut kit more than the skill of the installer. I suppose if it was a pro with a laser cutting machine, he’d print out another and make adjustments.

I’ll post a full review of this hybrid DIY/pro model after he is done.