Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
White interior. 55% front and roof. 15% 2 front windows and 20% everything in the back with Xpel Plus tint.

Attachments

• IMG_9939.jpeg
    IMG_9939.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_9938.jpeg
    IMG_9938.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 366
Reactions: Jccope64
I got mine "CA (not so) legal", 70% windshield and fronts, and 35% in rears and hatch. I didn't bother with roof, I purchased pull shade on them for the same price. its pretty much has good UV and heat rejection already, so did not want to waste money for tint on that section.

Getting MY tinted on Monday, just found out my tint shop only has 15% and 30% — nothing in the 20-25% area, which is what I was planning to do.

I've typically done 30 or 35% on past cars, but was thinking about going a little darker since I have a white interior. But I'm worried 15% will be too dark. I don't want to significantly compromise night vision. I will have Air 80 installed on the windshield as well.

I like this shop and it's very reputable, I don't really want to go hunting around and trying to figure out if some of the more shady looking shops will do 20% or 25%. The only other nice shop near me won't tint Tesla windshields because they don't want to risk interfering with the cameras (?).

Can anyone with 15% chime in about how it looks from the inside at night? Can anyone post a pic from inside with 15% on a cloudy/overcast day or at dusk?

Getting MY tinted on Monday, just found out my tint shop only has 15% and 30% — nothing in the 20-25% area, which is what I was planning to do.

I've typically done 30 or 35% on past cars, but was thinking about going a little darker since I have a white interior. But I'm worried 15% will be too dark. I don't want to significantly compromise night vision. I will have Air 80 installed on the windshield as well.

I like this shop and it's very reputable, I don't really want to go hunting around and trying to figure out if some of the more shady looking shops will do 20% or 25%. The only other nice shop near me won't tint Tesla windshields because they don't want to risk interfering with the cameras (?).

Can anyone with 15% chime in about how it looks from the inside at night? Can anyone post a pic from inside with 15% on a cloudy/overcast day or at dusk?
15% frontier here. 50% rear and back. And started with 80 on front but windshield was cracked/replaced from a rock at one point and went back with 50% on it. Black interior. You can still see the seats when looking through windshield from outside car. No visibility problems at night seeing out front/sides. I also have blue, and mine externally looks really similar to the post above this one from JayPaul. I don’t have my top done though.

Reactions: rogersmj and ggunn9

Most places that say they do 20% really are doing either 15% or 18% (from my experience). So what I posted above is "20%". It is not too dark. I did a windshield protection film or 70%, and only tinted the brow on the windshield. I'm still to afraid to tint the windshield, even though legally I can...

Please tell us how you got the tint exemption?

Marry a wife who is allergic to the sun, and allergic to sunscreen... Then you will always get tinting exemptions... I've had it on every car since we were married forever ago...

NYS Department of Health (medical review unit) has authority over tinting exemptions, which requires a form MV80w submitted to the Medical Review Unit. Part of the form (page 2) requires a medical provider (MD, NP, PA) attest to the medical condition. My wife has "any other" with a condition of "Polymorphic Light Eruption" which is fancy medical speak for her skin breaks out with exposure to the sun. Without tint a 20–30-minute drive will cause her skin to break out with bumps all over where exposed.

What tops it off is, as I said, she is allergic to sunscreen... Crazy right?

This exemption allows the tinting of any window to any level of your choosing. The only requirement is that you should be able to see... So, I would imagine the only way you can be ticketed (legally ticketed) is if you had an accident and they could prove that it was because of your inability to see that caused it. But at that point a ticket would be the least of your concerns.

You also can apply for any vehicle they routinely are a passenger in. Not just our vehicles. So, if she rides in a friend's car regularly, they can apply for the tint on their vehicle for her comfort.

A couple of pics for reference with the white interior. I had the 20% SolarFX IRFX on the front side windows and just did 50% SolarFX FXPlus on the windshield. Depending on the light and angle, it's still fairly light on the outside, and not too obvious.

IMG_2091.jpeg
IMG_2088.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: wildguess