Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - UK deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't see any business case for producing MY or M3 in RHD from Berlin. The scale and the fact that all other large RHD markets are in Asia just makes it financially more efficient to keep importing from China. I'd love to be proven wrong, I just don't think a 10% import tax cut will outweigh the cheaper cost of production in China.

May 2021 update - I contacted Tesla UK for an update on the Model Y, and they were very tight-lipped (said ETA in the UK not available). Giga Berlin was due to come online on 1 July 2021, but has been delayed 6 months (Elon approved) due to planning/environmental/EU red-tape. Meaning that Giga Berlin won't be online until at least Q1 2022, which is when reservations for the Model Y in the UK are likely to open...⏳

Our only hope (in the meantime) is that Giga Shanghai starts producing the RHD Model Y for the Australian/UK markets (they are already supplying the new 2021 Model 3 RHD to the UK). With demand in China being so high for the Model Y, the RHD cars are likely to be last in line for manufacture (as usual). 😢

Without a miracle, the Model Y is a good year away from arriving in the UK (earliest Q2 2022).
Good. The longer it takes the better the residuals on my M3 hold up.

May 2021 update - I contacted Tesla UK for an update on the Model Y, and they were very tight-lipped (said ETA in the UK not available). Giga Berlin was due to come online on 1 July 2021, but has been delayed 6 months (Elon approved) due to planning/environmental/EU red-tape. Meaning that Giga Berlin won't be online until at least Q1 2022, which is when reservations for the Model Y in the UK are likely to open...⏳

Our only hope (in the meantime) is that Giga Shanghai starts producing the RHD Model Y for the Australian/UK markets (they are already supplying the new 2021 Model 3 RHD to the UK). With demand in China being so high for the Model Y, the RHD cars are likely to be last in line for manufacture (as usual). 😢

Without a miracle, the Model Y is a good year away from arriving in the UK (earliest Q2 2022).
Good. The longer it takes the better the residuals on my M3 hold up.
And that gives me at least one year of M3 ownership without seeing MYs on the road here in the U.K. which is going to give me some buyers remorse. I miss a hatchback.

Indecently what will the introduction of the MY in the U.K. due to M3 residuals. Do you think having this new hatchback body shape available will reduce the value of saloon shapes used Model 3s?

And that gives me at least one year of M3 ownership without seeing MYs on the road here in the U.K. which is going to give me some buyers remorse. I miss a hatchback.

Indecently what will the introduction of the MY in the U.K. due to M3 residuals. Do you think having this new hatchback body shape available will reduce the value of saloon shapes used Model 3s?
No I think M3 covers a segment that will continue to convert to EV. MY covers a different segment. Sure there is a bit of crossover now, but both segments are being converted to EV so demand will continue to grow for a while yet.

Also MY is not really a hatchback, its an SUV that is pretty big. 7cm longer than a 3, which doesn't sound like a lot, but makes a big difference in the back.

MY:
4,775 mm L x 1,850 mm W x 1,600 mm H

M3:
4,694 mm L x 1,849 mm W x 1,443 mm H

MX:
5,052 mm L x 1,999 mm W x 1,684 mm H

For a small hatchback we'll have to wait a bit longer.

Reactions: Llama.
No I think M3 covers a segment that will continue to convert to EV. MY covers a different segment. Sure there is a bit of crossover now, but both segments are being converted to EV so demand will continue to grow for a while yet.

Also MY is not really a hatchback, its an SUV that is pretty big. 7cm longer than a 3, which doesn't sound like a lot, but makes a big difference in the back.

MY:
4,775 mm L x 1,850 mm W x 1,600 mm H

M3:
4,694 mm L x 1,849 mm W x 1,443 mm H

MX:
5,052 mm L x 1,999 mm W x 1,684 mm H

For a small hatchback we'll have to wait a bit longer.
Not sure where you got your dimensions from, but the Model Y is wider by about 7cm than the M3. I know as I've got a narrow gate and garage entrance which makes it too wide unless I want go faster stripes ;) Tesla Model Y Dimensions — Full List & Table

Reactions: Yev000
Last edited:
Reactions: meavydev
Not sure where you got your dimensions from, but the Model Y is wider by about 7cm than the M3. I know as I've got a narrow gate and garage entrance which makes it too wide unless I want go faster stripes ;) Tesla Model Y Dimensions — Full List & Table
Such a shame they decided to make it wider. That rules it out for me, not only is it a problem for the width of my garage but I find the Model 3 wide enough as it is on the fairly narrow roads around here and oncoming vehicles seemingly unable to stay their side of the centre line...