Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My story so far.
Ordered on 19 Jan: Black/Black/20''
BCP approved: 24 Jan
Spoke to Tesla CS on 24 Jan and he said he added a note to my order so that I will be picked up for processing.
No update till 9 Feb so I called CS and he is asking all the details about my finance :confused:
CS updated my finance details and now I can give my Driving License details.
waiting continues......

Wasn’t YLR estimated March yesterday? That’s quite a jump to May today
I believe it's all to do with the Tesla business model which requires as many cars as possible produced in any one quarter to be paid for in that same quarter. This means that in Q1 for example the last ship will leave for Europe in around mid Feb to allow for a 4 week transit to UK / EU and then a crazy delivery push in the last 10 days or so of March. Subsequently the pressure is off at the Chinese end and the next shipment will not arrive until some time in May for the May/June Q2 push. This explains the feast or famine nature of Tesla logistics. Once they finish allocating the Feb/Mar arrival vehicles the next available lot will be May i.e. You will not see many (if any) vessel arrivals in Europe during 2nd half March or April!

Reactions: avionos
I believe it's all to do with the Tesla business model which requires as many cars as possible produced in any one quarter to be paid for in that same quarter. This means that in Q1 for example the last ship will leave for Europe in around mid Feb to allow for a 4 week transit to UK / EU and then a crazy delivery push in the last 10 days or so of March. Subsequently the pressure is off at the Chinese end and the next shipment will not arrive until some time in May for the May/June Q2 push. This explains the feast or famine nature of Tesla logistics. Once they finish allocating the Feb/Mar arrival vehicles the next available lot will be May i.e. You will not see many (if any) vessel arrivals in Europe during 2nd half March or April!
Chinese New Year another factor

I thought Elon had told them to stop doing this - below is an excerpt from an email he wrote to all staff on 26 November last year:
What has happened historically is that we sprint like crazy at end of quarter to maximize deliveries, but then deliveries drop massively in the first few weeks of the next quarter. In effect, looked at over a six month period, we won’t have delivered any extra cars but we will have spent a lot of money and burned ourselves out to accelerate deliveries in the last two weeks of each quarter.
Doesn't seem to have worked!

Reactions: Pete UK
Ordered a blue model Y in Jan and didn’t expect to see it any time soon, however delivery date now says early march.

I think I’m going to lease the Y. Can I trade in our existing car (we own outright) when buying through a third party lease provider? Or is it only for buying or hire purchase. I’d couldn’t see an obvious answer on the website.

I though Elon said they were going to move away from the quarterly "push", as it doesn't make any sense. They were paying double overtime to rush builds through at the end of each quarter and of course these "extra" cars are only 'stolen' from the next quarter anyway; so the problem is ongoing and just costs more overall. It makes more sense to have it done on a daily basis in a modern automated factory. Same as it makes more sense to actually make the specific spec car when the customer has ordered it, instead of just making a random batch and then trying to match it to what customers ordered while they are in transit. I mean, what happens to the spec cars that they make that hardly anyone orders? They just sit around as inventory, costing money and gathering dust and you have to pay to store them! And say they only make a few red ones that prove to be more popular than they predicted? (topical)

Also, will the Chinese New Year holiday add an extra 2 months? Surely they don't get that long a holiday?

That said I'm no accountant, or expert in Tesla's company finance or quarterly earnings reports, so what do I know? All I know is that they made a smart move putting their spare cash into Bitcoin. 😎

Thinking logically though all this manufacturing/order/delivery stuff seems a bit 'non optimal' shall we say.

Ordered a blue model Y in Jan and didn’t expect to see it any time soon, however delivery date now says early march.

I think I’m going to lease the Y. Can I trade in our existing car (we own outright) when buying through a third party lease provider? Or is it only for buying or hire purchase. I’d couldn’t see an obvious answer on the website.
When leasing, it is the lease company that is buying the car. So, if trade in was an option, you would do that between you and the leaseco. Tusker for one, specifically don't support that, and they suggest you use webuyanycar.

I mean, what happens to the spec cars that they make that hardly anyone orders? They just sit around as inventory, costing money and gathering dust and you have to pay to store them!
They sell everything they make - nothing hangs around for long. It's one reason why they don't have many options or paint choices. They also have enough data to know roughly how many of each configuration will be required each quarter.

I have a set of the official ones and they are surprisingly robust - no idea of the quality of third party ones but I could easily imagine them being manufactured out of much thinner plastic as non-OEM. As I think someone else said; for £18 you aren't going to make any substantial saving by going third party so why risk it?
Not sure about the trays but quality of their trunk liners etc. is very good and worth the money and they’re made in USA. Need to check if all of them are made there or only some. In any case, worth spending on genuine accessories if available. Tesla’s shipping is quick via DHL and returns are also easy.

Reactions: hokkaidoblue