Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the thing, Tesla most likely will not have a better product than the competition. The competition is catching up and quickly. Their only unique selling points (USP) are the Supercharger network, the promise of the best FSD, and the battery tech. The network will be opened up to non-Tesla EVs soon, so forget that being a USP. The batteries will be resold to other EV manufacturers. So the only thing left is FSD.
And who in their right mind would ever want FSD?

Reactions: VX Foxy
Just like with Tesla service, it depends who you ask. Apple is rated "Bad" with 1.7 / 5 on Trustpilot

I've had very good service from Tesla but haven't shared my experiences. Much better than I had from Jaguar or Renault for the previous cars (also EVs) I owned. I'm confident I'm part of a quiet majority here and honestly think the criticisms are overblown.
You've obviously been lucky!

We are buying outright. Is it possible to get gap insurance to cover replacement with new rather than replacement with similar age/mileage etc?
Anyone got gap insurance but no finance?
Yes - I have always paid cash and where necessary always had GAP. Haven't done it with Teslas as my insurance covers full price for one year and I have no intention keeping a TEsla more than one year.

100%. Big ship vs. Nimble yacht analogy applies here. The automotive giants will throw money at the problem but until they fundamentally change the way they work internally, their products won’t keep up with the pace of change set by the likes of Tesla and Lucid.

Been said a million times before but Tesla is a data company as much as a vehicle manufacturer. That and supercharging is why they’re worth so much - the cherry on top of making great cars.
So true. The moment I test drove a Tesla I realised it wasn't a really a car, it was a personal transportation device. Tesla is a tech company that happens to build products which look like cars for now but their end goal is vastly different from the establishment. A true competitor of Tesla would be Uber. Both betting on a future where we don't need to physically own a car, we simply subscribe and pay for it's use. A future without garages, car parks, home chargers and having to do the school run! Simply when you want one, in 2 mins one appears - customised to your tastes and preferences. So this Y arriving next week could be quite possibly be the first and last EV I ever 'own'.

Tesla will never make the effort to get FSD in the UK because there are too many variables in the UK compared with the US
I disagree. I think UK will set legal framework for autonomous driving, now we aren't shackled toy the snails pace of legislation-change of the EU; other countries will then adopt our framework. Something we are good at (albeit that no one pays us to adopt what we legislate!). Countries that have the legal framework will be likely to get FSD 'coz of the need for Tesla to demonstrate that they were right all along (assuming that they are!!) (e.g. Germany looks likely to ban auto-change-lanes on Autobahn because it contravenes some law there, nothing to do with whether there is any risk etc, and changing the law to allow it will take a-long-time)

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa and VX Foxy
it’s a very long way off, imo 15-20 years away.

I have no idea what the timescale is, other than it has turned out to be longer / harder than Elon thought ... but that said Tesla and SpaceX et al have conquered a number of things that are "hard", even if later than promised.

But one thing I do know is that AI can progress at an exponential rate, and humans are lousy at comprehending exponential growth, so if and when that happens it will be a surprise to most people.

I struggle to see how FSD is worth £10K on a £40K car. Sure, if you are going to send your car out to ferry punters about when you don't need it then it becomes an earner. But I'm sceptical how many people want the car to come back with seats slashed and punters having chucked up everywhere ...

Anyways, when we get to the ride-hailing era Tesla won't need to sell any more cars to Jo Public, they can just create a ride-hail fleet instead.

Tesla will never make the effort to get FSD in the UK because there are too many variables in the UK compared with the US
Yes and no.. It is just software. I guess if you think about Europe, there are certain ways different people drive. Like in France, and the right of way with roundabouts. Or the craziness of driving in Italy where zebra crossings are taken under advisement by motorists.

One thing that would be cool, would be for Tesla to acknowledge the interactions that drivers undertake when driving. Not talking about the middle finger! But more the saying thank you by abbruptly engaging hazard lights or, flashing your high beams in tight roads to indicate to others they have right of way.

Yes and no.. It is just software. I guess if you think about Europe, there are certain ways different people drive. Like in France, and the right of way with roundabouts. Or the craziness of driving in Italy where zebra crossings are taken under advisement by motorists.

One thing that would be cool, would be for Tesla to acknowledge the interactions that drivers undertake when driving. Not talking about the middle finger! But more the saying thank you by abbruptly engaging hazard lights or, flashing your high beams in tight roads to indicate to others they have right of way.
They will never do those things, as they are incorrect use of vehicle lights, legally speaking. Same reason you can't use the Boombox feature when the car is in motion.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I disagree. I think UK will set legal framework for autonomous driving, now we aren't shackled toy the snails pace of legislation-change of the EU; other countries will then adopt our framework. Something we are good at (albeit that no one pays us to adopt what we legislate!). Countries that have the legal framework will be likely to get FSD 'coz of the need for Tesla to demonstrate that they were right all along (assuming that they are!!) (e.g. Germany looks likely to ban auto-change-lanes on Autobahn because it contravenes some law there, nothing to do with whether there is any risk etc, and changing the law to allow it will take a-long-time)

Have you ever read the minutes from UNECE? Typically all other nations are trying to move things along but the UK representative in the Chair defers decisions, ignore sensible proposals and generally keeps the pace.

Anyway, we haven't left UNECE, its totally separate from the EU where its only ratified. The fundamental difference is that we are used to regulations determining that services we have are verified to be 'safe'. In the US they typically use regulation once something is shown to be unsafe.

My car from there on Tues is covered in what feels like tree sap of sorts (it’s not but it’s a hard rough feel over the entire car).
My valet guys came to clean it and said it needed some hard graft to get it back to what it should be. They did a section of bonnet for me that is now glass smooth as it should be. The rest is rough in finish. If you run your hand over the paint work it should be glass smooth but on mine it’s a fine rough finish.

It’s not a service repair as such but maybe £100 of valet charges which is annoying to get it back to what it should have been on delivery. Hard to show in a photo but a video or running your hand or a cloth over it you can hear the rough sound as it moves from the glass finish they corrected to the rough finish as delivered.

Ps everything else about the car I love! (Not to sound down in this post).
glad you raised this mine, is identical, cannot see anything "wrong" with the paint but just feels rough in every area that I have run my hand over. Have you spoken to Tesla about it? Mine also had a scratch at the front so is booked in to the service centre, suspect I can add this to the list!

Have you ever read the minutes from UNECE? Typically all other nations are trying to move things along but the UK representative in the Chair defers decisions, ignore sensible proposals and generally keeps the pace.

Anyway, we haven't left UNECE, its totally separate from the EU where its only ratified. The fundamental difference is that we are used to regulations determining that services we have are verified to be 'safe'. In the US they typically use regulation once something is shown to be unsafe.
Indeed. When I spoke to my MP (Mr Gove) about this being a possible area to diverge from EU regulations he came back that they were unlikely to diverge from UNECE but were going to have some meetings about it with the industry. And if one of the faces of Brexit is saying that then...