Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats too harsh. They are simply giving you the option to collect earlier if you are willing to travel. No other car companies offer you the chance of picking your car up at a special launch "sooner" than the rest. If you dont want to take up the offer, you will still get the car, but just a bit later. Tesla have not said that you will go right back to the queue
The thing is that many of us get the feeling we are the lunch whilst being invited for lunch. Personally, I think that keeping your your original VIN/car and delaying out a week for the reg changeover is not an unreasonable request and is what the regular trade gear up to near this time in the UK at least and usually its what the dealer recommends albeit knowingly they know its what most knowledgeable people aim for.

Not necessarily. I got charged on the way home using a supercharger.
Thats the last straw. Its going to be a 2hr drive home. If it has just got off the ship, it would be empty having lost most of its charge due to phantom drain. Dont even want to think about range anxiety on the way home on a new LR ev. Going to cancel and get myself a ID4

If you collect your car from the 1st of September up 2021 up to the 28th of February 2022 you will get a 71 plate.... 1st of March to 31st of August and it will be a 22 plate.

Nothing to do with the VIN. The date of first registration will dictate the plate. ie, if you told them you would collect the car on the 28th of February 2022, they will assign you a 71 plate but if for some reason you miss your appointment dont collect the same car until the 1st of March it will then be on a 22 plate. The car is not registered until you are there/have it delivered and sign it off. They can assign you a 22 plate in February if your collection/delivery won't happen until March.

Hope this makes sense :)
Thanks for the explanation

Reactions: roadcred and Js1977
Thats the last straw. Its going to be a 2hr drive home. If it has just got off the ship, it would be empty having lost most of its charge due to phantom drain. Dont even want to think about range anxiety on the way home on a new LR ev. Going to cancel and get myself a ID4
61wp71.jpg

I have been on call with Tesla earlier to find out why I did not get the invite.
He said a very very very (he used 3 verys!) small number of orders were invited to the so called special events and that it is all random. He said it may be because I have a trade-in, I might not have been invited. When I pestered him with more when can I expect question, all he said was he can guarantee that it will be before the end of March!
I did however ask him if I can a vin swap with someone who doesn't want the Feb delivery. He said that can happen, but no guarantees because the selection happens based on "various" factors and it will be automatic. I think they would be in a far better place if they somehow took inputs whether someone is willing to travel and pick up in Feb and only give the option to them rather than randomly giving people that opportunity to people who do not want.

He said it will be a few days before the next set of people are allocated dates. At least I will stop refreshing my order page every 15 mins.

Well I got the 'special event' text earlier:

View attachment 757492
Unfortunately getting to Southampton on the 19th is impossible despite being only an hour away, I'm on hold to Tesla to find out what the deal is, I originally chose to collect from Reading

Seems like Elon’s email about recusing costs on delivery was taken seriously if they are doing the pickups at the cruise terminals!

I’m gonna go with the Delivery in Feb. It’d be nice to get a 22 plate but if I’m keeping the car for 5 years or so, doubt the 22 plate will make any serious difference on resale; It’s still a 22 model.
Anyone have any luck with MY insurance yet?
I clicked on the Tesla Insurance link (Swinton) and you can’t even select Model Y from the drop down menu !
Also; I ordered the car, I’m paying for the car, I’m registering it in my wife’s name, she can’t make the pick up. Is it a problem for me to go collect the car instead?
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: dazzap and Campi
Yeah I know it says that but if I’m paying and I am insured to drive the car and have the docs and payment receipt do they really insist the DVLA registered “keeper” is present?
I mean if she has to sign for the car, Tesla don’t even know what her signature looks like anyway 😂
Maybe I’ll just take her docs along with mine and a covering letter and if they ask I’ll show them her “permission” for me to take it away.

Reactions: Rooster6655