Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Referring back to Insurance for the MY, i have just changed my cover with direct line to insure my MY LR from 19th feb through to my renewal in october. I just need to confirm the reg when i get it. Coming from a M3, surprisingly i'm now due £125 rebate.
for ref, i'm 41, s,d p inc business and in TW2 on the driveway overnight. 15 years NCD.

Referring back to Insurance for the MY, i have just changed my cover with direct line to insure my MY LR from 19th feb through to my renewal in october. I just need to confirm the reg when i get it. Coming from a M3, surprisingly i'm now due £125 rebate.
for ref, i'm 41, s,d p inc business and in TW2 on the driveway overnight. 15 years NCD.
Did you need to call up to arrange that specifically? I can't see the MY on direct line's site yet.

If it's the same as the 3 you get 2 cards and a little wallet.

But normally you use the phone.. the cards are just an emergency backup.
Are these cards/fobs prone to relay thefts that have become common these days for cars from other manufacturers? Most of the advice points towards having a pin as an additional layer of security. Is that enough?

Hey everyone … been frustrated as I ordered on day 1, LR Black, White and 19 - but transferred to a lease co. Not heard a squeak until an hour ago and I get this:

Tesla Update - Your vehicle is on the way. Your arrival date is being calculated and you will be notified via SMS when your vehicle is scheduled for delivery. For now, please familiarise yourself with the features of your Model Y by watching our introduction videos via your Tesla app. Your order reference is RNxxxxxc. To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP.

So ..for us lease people.. they seem to be on a boat .. somewhere…

• Funny
Reactions: VX Foxy
Am I right in recalling some users' sharing their battery of the car. How on earth did you manage to get that? Surely all the onboard cars are not communicating outbound reliably via the ship's VSAT connection. Or did misread something?

Also just in:

SMS: "Tesla Update - Your vehicle is on the way. Your arrival date is being calculated and you will be notified by SMS when your vehicle is scheduled for delivery. For now, please familiarise yourself with the features of your Model Y by watching our introduction videos via your Tesla app. Your order ref is RN*******."

Hey everyone … been frustrated as I ordered on day 1, LR Black, White and 19 - but transferred to a lease co. Not heard a squeak until an hour ago and I get this:

Tesla Update - Your vehicle is on the way. Your arrival date is being calculated and you will be notified via SMS when your vehicle is scheduled for delivery. For now, please familiarise yourself with the features of your Model Y by watching our introduction videos via your Tesla app. Your order reference is RNxxxxxc. To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP.

In a vaguely similar position to yourself. Consulting the shipping thread is handy. I’ve assumed that “maybe” the car is in the SFL COMPOSER and “maybe” it will be here v late Feb / Early March.
“Maybe” I’ll be surprised and it will turn up on an earlier vessel.
Lots of maybes though.

Are these cards/fobs prone to relay thefts that have become common these days for cars from other manufacturers? Most of the advice points towards having a pin as an additional layer of security. Is that enough?
The cards are NFC and not powered unless they're placed on the reader, so a few mm distance, and the phone is bluetooth that isn't subject to relay attacks.

You should always use the pin, because losing cards or having your phone stolen is a thing. With P2D enabled Teslas are extremely hard to steal (basically the only option is a flatbed and most thieves aren't in that league).

I'm not sure how resistant the fob is - never used one - but it goes to sleep when it's not moving (eg. on a table) so the risk is small I'd expect.

Reactions: drewpost and ukmy
The cards are not, they are RFID and need a reader within a couple of cms to energise them.

The fob uses bluetooth. Whilst technically possible to relay, it is practically extremely difficult to do. It isn't the same as more common fobs using 433 MHz transmitters found in most vehicles.

Reactions: ukmy
Have to say I’m disappointed with the Tesla experience so far as a first time buyer:
- Ordered MY 12mins after the pre-order emails went out day 1. Cash, no part exchange.
- Shown estimated delivery of Feb 13-27th. Selected my pickup location from choice of 2 given and did all pre-delivery tasks within an hour of being given them.
- Subsequently told to pickup 5hr round trip from Southampton on Feb 19. Having declined I now don’t even have an estimated delivery let alone a confirmed date from my agreed collection point.
- Still there is no option to book a test drive on a £60k car I ordered in October and theoretically I should be taking delivery of on the next 4-8wks.

I’m still sure I’ll love the car but that’s not a great customer experience.

Reactions: roadcred
The cards are NFC and not powered unless they're placed on the reader, so a few mm distance, and the phone is bluetooth that isn't subject to relay attacks.

You should always use the pin, because losing cards or having your phone stolen is a thing. With P2D enabled Teslas are extremely hard to steal (basically the only option is a flatbed and most thieves aren't in that league).

I'm not sure how resistant the fob is - never used one - but it goes to sleep when it's not moving (eg. on a table) so the risk is small I'd expect.

I didn't have P2D enabled before and I don't quite understand why it seems so popular. I guess its like multifactor authentication - just the key isn't enough. But I like being able to get in and go. Adding a PIN seems like a concious step that having the phone as key just removed. And if my phone is stolen its unlikely the thief even knows I have a tesla and it'll be wiped pretty dang quickly anyway?

Might try it though on my new one, see how I get on

Exactly what I'm hearing from my lease chap, although I'm yet to get an e-mail/ SMS! I think us lease people are going to get relatively short notice for collection.

I was told yesterday that despite me not hearing anything so far his contact at Tesla told him that all lease orders prior to the end of the year will be delivered between 19 Feb and 1 March. (He did caution this with an although his contact is usually right, you can ask two people at Tesla and get three different answers).

Another thing I was told is that there are quite a lot of the slots for the "local" events from 15th onwards are still unconfirmed for whatever reason (people waiting on new reg, finance agreement, trade in values) so some of these slot may get re-allocated to lease cars where they simply have to just bill the finance company after collection).

Have to say I’m disappointed with the Tesla experience so far as a first time buyer:
- Still there is no option to book a test drive on a £60k car I ordered in October and theoretically I should be taking delivery of on the next 4-8wks.

I’m still sure I’ll love the car but that’s not a great customer experience.
Not sure where in the country you are, but Manchester has test drives. I've got one for 10th.

Edit: I guess you're in London by your username. London was doing drives, but the vehicle may have moved. Since the Y is new to the UK, test drive vehicles are limited.