Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after the excitement of the events last week culminating in Southampton.... Who's got the next collection or pick up?

My delivery is a week on Wednesday (2 March). Are things on hold till the 22 reg or are they ploughing on?
I'm the 1st March from Bristol but could choose dates between the 23rd Feb (25th? can't remember) and the 03rd March so it's possible people could have chosen to collect between now and the new reg if they wanted to.

Reactions: Zanbar
I don't understand the circular discussion on battery capacity.

If you've already bought one, are you going to sell it or send it back over 3Kw?
If you've not already bought one, are you going to buy a different car over 3Kw?

It really doesn't matter.

Different battery chemistry I can maybe understand, if it means faster charging or different behaviours (100% vs 80% charging regularly etc). The rest just appears to be a total waste of time.

Just drive the thing :)
Sure. I just like to know, will be doing big miles and want to know. I think it was put to bed, so as far I am concerned it is sorted. No circular argument here. Its not about 3kwhs it's about knowing

Getting excited enough about March delivery to mess about with wraps, placing Y in the CC Zone. How about the wrap?
ModelYwrap.jpg

Reactions: Zanbar and Tomlkj
That's my point - emotional expectation over a non-disclosed spec is daft. They're non-disclosed because ultimately they're unimportant.

Lack of charging ports installed when they're a listed feature; super helpful for people to share their experience. That way, new owners can check theirs and set service appointments if they're not present or functioning correctly.

The feeling isn't amplified by Tesla, it's amplified by these kinds of needless speculations. Batteries is a particularly irritating one as most new owners seem to struggle with the stated vs real life range gap as is. Adding in speculation over 3% of battery capacity just confuses people and creates a pointless feeling of FOMO over something unconfirmed and unimportant.

Maybe when there's a flip of a coin between getting a 4680 battery Y and a 2170 battery Y, community information will be useful. I don't think that will be the case though as they'll be disclosed specs due to their importance.
Sometimes things are also non-disclosed to get rid of old stock. e.g. 🚨 parc🤬helf 🚨

I think some peoples ‘anxiety’ (rightly so) is;
You’ve been waiting to order a model Y for ages…
You ordered 4 months ago.
You are paying in full for it yourself.
Suddenly it’s announced, come get it right now - BUT, it’s just before the new 22 plates come out, (so not ideal.)
So people are thinking “am I dropping a whopping £55K plus on last years spec car on an old plate”;
Which will be worth less/ less desirable if sold after a couple of years
Or should I wait a bit for confirmation I’m getting the latest spec model and get it on a 22 plate? or just go for it on a 71 plate anyway?
These are valid concerns.

What would you rather have?
a 71 plate in the old spec or a 71 plate with the new spec or a 22 plate with the new spec? All for £55k?
It’s like buying an iPhone 13 for a grand and then the iPhone 14 comes out the next day!

Regarding the 4680 battery;
Much unnecessary hype about this too IMHO.
I don’t mind if my car is powered by AAA batteries or AA batteries, as long as the range is the same.
Sure the larger size battery packs more power but they’ll put less of the bigger ones in to do the same job. It’s that simple. So same same in the end. A pint sir? Or is it two halves for you today?
It’s just a cost cutting exercise for the manufacturer, same as the structural battery pack.
Do I care if the manufacturer saves money?
Yes and no;
yes if they pass the savings on to the customer or it makes a better product or it secures the brand/ after sales servicing etc;
No, if it keeps the prices overly high and they just make more profit which goes to their shareholders.

I'm wondering if the DVLA doesn't update their external-access system for a while after sending out the V5 OR whether TFL only bothers accessing the DVLA database once a week (or fortnight or month). It would be interesting to hear how long it takes anyone to get exemption from CC if they are not juggling reg numbers...
Funny you should say that….
Just got the email of exemption from the cc just a few minutes ago….
(For the old reg 🤦🏻‍♂️ 😵‍💫)
- so I guess they don’t work weekends. But that’s faster than I expected.
Now to swap to the new reg….
- Wish me luck, as I can’t seem to log into my account at the moment….

Sometimes things are also non-disclosed to get rid of old stock. e.g. 🚨 parc🤬helf 🚨

I think some peoples ‘anxiety’ (rightly so) is;
You’ve been waiting to order a model Y for ages…
You ordered 4 months ago.
You are paying in full for it yourself.
Suddenly it’s announced, come get it right now - BUT, it’s just before the new 22 plates come out, (so not ideal.)
So people are thinking “am I dropping a whopping £55K plus on last years spec car on an old plate”;
Which will be worth less/ less desirable if sold after a couple of years
Or should I wait a bit for confirmation I’m getting the latest spec model and get it on a 22 plate? or just go for it on a 71 plate anyway?
These are valid concerns.

What would you rather have?
a 71 plate in the old spec or a 71 plate with the new spec or a 22 plate with the new spec? All for £55k?
It’s like buying an iPhone 13 for a grand and then the iPhone 14 comes out the next day!

Regarding the 4680 battery;
Much unnecessary hype about this too IMHO.
I don’t mind if my car is powered by AAA batteries or AA batteries, as long as the range is the same.
Sure the larger size battery packs more power but they’ll put less of the bigger ones in to do the same job. It’s that simple. So same same in the end. A pint sir? Or is it two halves for you today?
It’s just a cost cutting exercise for the manufacturer, same as the structural battery pack.
Do I care if the manufacturer saves money?
Yes and no;
yes if they pass the savings on to the customer or it makes a better product or it secures the brand/ after sales servicing etc;
No, if it keeps the prices overly high and they just make more profit which goes to their shareholders.
Totally backed

Or should I wait a bit for confirmation I’m getting the latest spec model
Isn't the "issue" that there is no such thing as a latest spec model when it comes to Tesla? Ford might bring out a freshed model each year, but since Tesla are constantly innovating, what's produced this month is different to what was produced last month.

As someone said, there are notable items (eg glossy interior), but these things are generally either noticeable or announced?

I do however agree that from a customer service standpoint the parcel shelf status could have been announced long before deliveries, but I think that's a customer service issue rather than a manufacturing one.

Is it possible to know when the cars are actually made. I don’t suppose they have the space to stack for months. So it’s a safe assumption the cars delivered last week were straight off the line into the dock/ship. So any revisions will be parts sent to the line for build. There is no set time of year when this happens so could be anytime that a Y turns up in the UK with a parcel shelf (for example).

It is a pain for customers. As those already collected would be pretty unhappy if the next batch off a ship in the UK does have the parcel shelf.

I had recently received the same delivery date range as you, but it’s still there at the moment. Lets hope everyone like you that has lost it is in the process of getting a firm delivery date. Please keep us posted!
Just an update on this. I spoke to Tesla today and they are still forecasting a mid to end of March delivery date. Apparently my pickup location is Bluewater. That's all they were able to tell me other than "wait for the text" and that having a VIN is a good sign.

The enigmatic Tesla order process continues...
🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Mr Grey
It's a simple fact of human nature that people want all the advantages of high tech and innovative companies such as Tesla and all the advantages of old world car companies like Toyota, BMW etc.

Very few accept that Tesla's way of doing things and delivering a technical advanced car will also have problems.

It's also human nature to be worried about missing out and someone getting something that you should have.

Others will justify their choices by being critical of others decisions.

There are very few that realise they are getting a vehicle that the majority of the people of this country would love to have.

No wonder mental health issues are so problematic in this country...we have forgotten how to be happy...